General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Where does one learn to drive a stick...?

Search this Thread

Old 2/9/14, 10:47 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Where does one learn to drive a stick...?

Are there any options for someone looking to drive a stick these days? I'd like to get used to a stick again before I get my new car, and the last time I drove one was for about 5 minutes in high school.

I've tried all the rental places (even some "junker rentals") and couldn't find a stick anywhere. I'd much prefer not throwing down $500+ on a used car, plus the hassle of selling it again and insuring it (I WILL be that guy that gets plowed into by some jack ****, if I don't have insurance on it...).

Thoughts? Only need it for a day or two, so I can head out at night and drive around a bunch and get reacquainted.
Old 2/9/14, 10:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeywhat
Are there any options for someone looking to drive a stick these days? I'd like to get used to a stick again before I get my new car, and the last time I drove one was for about 5 minutes in high school. I've tried all the rental places (even some "junker rentals") and couldn't find a stick anywhere. I'd much prefer not throwing down $500+ on a used car, plus the hassle of selling it again and insuring it (I WILL be that guy that gets plowed into by some jack ****, if I don't have insurance on it...). Thoughts? Only need it for a day or two, so I can head out at night and drive around a bunch and get reacquainted.
Where do you live / drive and is there a time of day you can just take your time at first. Insurance call first thing.
Old 2/9/14, 11:16 PM
Cobra R Member

I'm in the Metro Detroit area (closer to Ann Arbor, really), and I'm usually up late at night which is prime time to learn this sort of thing. Not much traffic, especially during the week, and lots of empty parking lots.
Old 2/10/14, 09:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have any friends or family that have manual transmission vehicles that would teach you to drive stick? I learned from my older brother in his Ranger driving around the farm when I was 14. It was a sight to see I must say, but a very valuable life lesson. Check around in your immediate circle before considering buying something.
Old 2/10/14, 10:41 AM
Cobra R Member

No, unfortunately no one does. Well, a friend does, but it's a very cherry Subura WRX STi, that I in no way care to learn on, let alone even ask him to use it.
Old 2/10/14, 08:45 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
No friends with a car they would share? ****!

I learned the basics when I first started my job and my old man had an S-10 with an M5 and the Iron Duke with which I honed my manual driving skills.

To be honest if you know how to get the car rolling the rest is easy stuff.

My advice to anybody starting out or has minimal experience with driving a manual trans car is to think two steps ahead. Don't react to anything and plan for everything (well as best you can). Look as far down the road as you can.

That's just good defensive driving in general but its doubly important for driving a car with a manual transmission and displaying any sort of proficiency.

Last edited by bob; 2/10/14 at 08:47 PM.
Old 2/10/14, 09:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Learning to get the car rolling (smoothly) is the 2nd hardest thing about learning to drive a stick. The trickiest part is knowing which gear to be in at any given time.
Old 2/10/14, 10:07 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
The best way to learn how to get the car rolling is to learn the friction point of the clutch. Get the car on a VERY slight uphill with the engine running, the clutch in, and the transmission in first gear. Ignore the accelerator. Slowly let the clutch out until the car starts to move, then push the clutch back in. The engine may die when you do this. Repeat this process several times and you will get the feel of starting off. From there it is easy to learn to give it a little gas as it starts to move, and then the rest should be easy.
Old 2/10/14, 10:57 PM
Cobra R Member

I'm not new to the concept of shifting and clutches and whatnot. I rode dirt bikes when I was a kid, so I get the general idea. I just don't want to look like a dork when I go pick up the car. It'll probably only take a day or two to get the hang of it.

Plus I have a little experience in knowing what gear to be in with my current car (2012 Focus). It has the Selectshift, which I almost always use. I know it's not the same thing, but it's better then nothing I guess.

My primary concerns are getting the vehicle moving/low speed driving, and slowing down/downshifting without coming to a stop

My neighbor used to have a work truck that was a manual, but he swapped it out for an auto a year ago.
Old 2/11/14, 02:24 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeywhat
My primary concerns are getting the vehicle moving/low speed driving, and slowing down/downshifting without coming to a stop

The easiest method for getting things rolling is to feed the gas and ease out on the clutch allowing some slip to occur until your moving. Once your comfortable with the take up on the clutch and how much throttle is needed to avoid stalling the car you wont need to slip the clutch as much.

Up/downshifting requires some experimentation so that you know where the engine likes to sit after each shift. If its a fairly powerful engine I wouldn't let it go below 1000-1500 rpm on an upshift and on the down shift the transmission will keep you locked out until it reaches the proper speed unless you force it.

Eventually it will be intuitive, based mostly on engine sound and like starting out, smooth engagement of the clutch produces the best results until your comfortable with the way the vehicle is geared.

Last edited by bob; 2/11/14 at 02:26 AM.
Old 2/16/14, 09:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you plan on buying a stick soon, or are you looking to relearn just to know? If you're buying a stick, just buy it and learn on it. Have your friend that knows how to drive stick get it home and take it from there. Hell, I had to have my mother drive my first stick home since I didn't know how at the time.
Old 2/16/14, 09:52 PM
Cobra R Member

Waiting for it to get hear, should be mid March when I pick it up.
Old 2/26/14, 07:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
maybe rent a stick shift car for a day or two. My 2 cents would be don't down shift when coming to a stop. Just pop in in N and use the brakes to stop until you get the hang of it.
If you start out and the car is jerking and bucking just push the clutch in and start over.
Old 2/26/14, 07:12 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Right of the the dealership!
Old 2/26/14, 07:13 AM
Cobra R Member

I can't find anywhere that rents a manual gearbox vehicle.
Old 2/27/14, 06:39 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fdjizm
This. go to some other dealer and test one but only since you have no other options available as you stated.

frankly, coming from bikes you're probably gonna find it alot easier than someone who hasnt had any manual experience.
Old 2/27/14, 07:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i actually learned to drive stick shift when i was test driving my mustang haha.

edit: i actually test drove a new straight drive camaro first and i believe i messed it up. so i went and tried out a mustang and ended up buying that mustang.

Last edited by southcarolina12; 2/28/14 at 05:52 PM.
Old 2/27/14, 07:53 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Parents
Old 2/27/14, 09:56 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by fdjizm

I did that.
Wasn't pretty...but wasn't horrible either.
I almost HATED the car for the first little while.

Easy to get going...hard to get going smooth.
Old 2/27/14, 10:50 PM
Cobra R Member

I'd test drive a vehicle, but then I have to have the **** sales guy there with me...

Quick Reply: Where does one learn to drive a stick...?