General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

What tires should I upgrade to?

Search this Thread

Old 10/20/20, 07:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What tires should I upgrade to?

I recently got my first mustang (2013 5.0) and I love it to death! The previous owner added an air intake, a boss manifold, bbk long tubes, offroad x pipe, (unknown axleback I can check later) and a tune that I do not approve of (that is for another thread)

Besides that, on the back wheels it currently has the Nitto NT555 G2, (315/35R20) and they can't seem to keep traction during straight line pulls, not even in 2nd gear!

I was thinking of maybe the NT05 (non R) mainly because I live in Florida and wet traction matters in this state due to frequent rain

I did consider the Yokahama ADVAN AD08R but they don't come in the size that I already have (the fitment on my car currently is beautiful)

I want to know what you guys think would be a good upgrade, that is still daily drive-able but can maintain better dry traction than what I currently have!

Old 10/20/20, 10:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Congrats, that's a beautiful Mustang.

What's the width on those wheels, front & back? I'd guess 315/35/20 on the rear must be 10" and up.

I'm thinking... all that intakes, manifolds, long tubes, off-road pipes does not help with traction. You and I have solid-axle model years. They are likely to fish-tail. Did the previous owner do any suspension upgrades (ex. watts-link)?

In my (relatively) short journey, I'm learning to believe widest tires won't always guarantee better grip. In fact, going too wide will decrease the traction. In the 'normal' conditions anyway, we are not on the race track.

You mentioned, 'Daily Drive' & 'Rain'. Possibly consider All-Season Tires, like Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus. They say Summer Tires also have wet traction but I'm not entirely convinced...

Old 10/21/20, 05:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PonyMuscletang13
Congrats, that's a beautiful Mustang.

What's the width on those wheels, front & back? I'd guess 315/35/20 on the rear must be 10" and up.

I'm thinking... all that intakes, manifolds, long tubes, off-road pipes does not help with traction. You and I have solid-axle model years. They are likely to fish-tail. Did the previous owner do any suspension upgrades (ex. watts-link)?

In my (relatively) short journey, I'm learning to believe widest tires won't always guarantee better grip. In fact, going too wide will decrease the traction. In the 'normal' conditions anyway, we are not on the race track.

You mentioned, 'Daily Drive' & 'Rain'. Possibly consider All-Season Tires, like Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus. They say Summer Tires also have wet traction but I'm not entirely convinced...
They have done suspension mods, I can tell by the stiffness lol, but I actually have looked to see what exactly they did, if I remember, I’ll try to get some pictures today.

As far as wheel width I believe the rear are 10” because that was the biggest I saw American Muscle sell those wheels (they are American Muscle branded) but I’m not sure as to what the front are.

I also did notice that the front does not have the same tires as the rear, I don’t recall the brand or model.

As to your comment about summer tires being bad in the rain, some definitely are, but not necessarily all are, I had firehawk indy500s on my 2009 Honda Civic and it was near impossible to hydroplane or lose traction in the rain. Of course those also don’t come in the size I’d like

I feel like all seasons would be a step down from where I’m at, being that I never really leave Florida, snow and ice are never a concern either lol.
Old 10/21/20, 04:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by RREXX
They have done suspension mods, I can tell by the stiffness lol, but I actually have looked to see what exactly they did, if I remember, I’ll try to get some pictures today.
Yes I can tell from low stance. I was referring to Sways and/or Watts Linkage for balance upgrades. Try to get pictures underneath.

As far as wheel width I believe the rear are 10” because that was the biggest I saw American Muscle sell those wheels (they are American Muscle branded) but I’m not sure as to what the front are. I also did notice that the front does not have the same tires as the rear, I don’t recall the brand or model.
315's on 10" even? That sounds like wheel spacers. Fronts & Rears are different? Ugh... You don't want to run mixed brands of tires.

As to your comment about summer tires being bad in the rain, some definitely are, but not necessarily all are, I had firehawk indy500s on my 2009 Honda Civic and it was near impossible to hydroplane or lose traction in the rain. Of course those also don’t come in the size I’d like

I feel like all seasons would be a step down from where I’m at, being that I never really leave Florida, snow and ice are never a concern either lol.
True. I have the same Nitto NT555 G2 on my car 285/30/20 x 9.5" & 305/30/20 x 10.5". I initially ordered the Michelin Pilot Super Sports but they were forever backordered. The Nitto NT05's you mentioned look like drag radial alternatives btw, sticks like a glue in dry but bad in the wet?

All seasons' are more of 3-season tires IMO. Some do better in snow but they are not snow tires. Some of them are more focused on performance lean towards Summer...etc. I'm a little confused as you seem to be partial to Drag Racing now. But who am I do say otherwise. Go with performance summers who's stopping ya.