General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO WIN A CAR SHOW?

Search this Thread

Old 3/17/05 | 08:20 AM
Banned

:scratch: What should someone definetly do for a chance of winning at a car show?

What do the judges look for?
How to prepare?
Old 3/17/05 | 08:30 AM

Well, when I was just starting out in the show circuit a few years back now with my SS, the judges honestly frowned upon a new car unless their was a newer car class and at first I took it personal and just started making minor changes to the car like headlight covers tailight covers, looming the engine, putting a Taz in the car and slowly but surely the judges started taking notice of the car and now when I show it I bring home a trophy just about everytime. As far as advice goes just keep your car clean and add your own personal touches to her to make her stand out from the crowd, dosen't have to be something extravigant just subtle minor things that will catch the eye and make them take notice of your car, and if they approach you while judging and ask you questions answer them with pride thats about the best advice I can give.

Joe F.
Old 3/17/05 | 08:39 AM
Team Mustang Source

Attention to detail. Make sure all the cracks and crevices are clean. Be proud of that car and show it in your care of it.
Old 3/17/05 | 08:43 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Lots of visible mods, specially items that stand out a lot. Whether it serves a purpose or not.
Old 3/17/05 | 08:45 AM
Cobra Member

I can only speak for MCA rules, so current model year cars are popular vote and are not actually judged. The cars that are judged are judged primarily on CLEANLINESS. As crazyhorse sated, make sure to clean door jambs, cracks/crevices, etc...
Old 3/17/05 | 09:13 AM
GT Member

This is my advice. Ive won first place at Ford Nationals at Carlisle, for 03 Cobra class and hears how i did it....

Popular Vote Class---- Be Unique. Its that simple. An average car will not win a vote class even if it is perfectly clean.

Judged Class- Unless its a daily driver class, you better trailer it. Ive lost to cars that were judged that never ever saw the road, except on the back of a trailer. One guy had a stock, Roush 380R. Red, beautiful car, but it was judged on the back of a trailer. Crazy.

Me personally, i would rather have my car voted on, than judged.
Old 3/17/05 | 09:40 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by 1 BULLITT@March 17, 2005, 10:46 AM
Lots of visible mods, specially items that stand out a lot. Whether it serves a purpose or not.
Man did you ever nail one side of the coin! In my limited experience, when it comes to car shows and your chances of getting a trophy, I've seen two schools of thought: 1) Tasteful mods that enhance the car's appearance and the owner obviously knew when to stop. Case in point - Chad's yellow/black 05 GT. The car looks fantastic in person - very clean (and I don't mean just washed), great stance, and no gawdy doo-dads all over it. The other school of thought is "If they make it for a Mustang, I'll slap it on there". A little background: I went to a local car show a few years back and my car at the time was a black 96 GT with dern near perfect paint, export flares, S281 rear wing, Motorsport R wheels w/315 Pirelli's on a 10.5" in the back, 4 auxilliary Ford Racing (Autometer) gauges, and C-springs to lower it. A guy parked next to me with his 01 GT that had friggin neon lights all over it, strobes, a stuffed animal in the passenger seat, swirl marks all over the black paint, gawdy graphics and some ridiculous banner on the windshield. Well as fate would have it, he got a nice trophy and my car didn't get jack squat. So there are your two schools of thought. Same thing happened to me on Saturday at NMRA! Chad's car deserved to get the accolades, but there was an SN95 or two there...good LAWD they were tacky, gawdy, way way over done and downright awful IMO. Then again, not everyone has the same taste in cars thank goodness or it'd be a pretty boring hobby.
In the case of an 05, I'd say probably the biggest thing that would get the proper attention would be a nice set of aftermarket wheels IMO. Good luck, keep us posted and I hope I was able to help. The other tips above are definitely noteworthy as well.
Old 3/17/05 | 10:43 AM
Banned

What does better, performance mods or appearance mods?
Old 3/17/05 | 12:23 PM
FR500 Member

I would think appearance since the car will be sitting there at the show and not being driven. Of course, having a pretty supercharger wouldn't hurt. I say things like custom seats or just custom upholstery (like switching out the middle sections of the seat with some yellow fabric/leather in your case), as well as maybe some other interior/exterior touches to make it stand out. Nothing too crazy. I've seen many more cars win just keepng it clean and simple. In this day and age, you'd definitely need some sterio upgrades. Some aftermarket subs in the doors, preferrably with some yellow accents. Everything has to match and work together. The main thing though is the car has to be spotless. Cleanliness is key. I'd also say aftermarket wheels would be a must if you wanted to even place.
Old 3/17/05 | 12:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

My advice, keep it local and just have fun. Popular vote shows will always go to the car with the most aftermarket stuff hanging on it. It's all up to the crowd, you just never know what is going to happen. Best not to get too trophy crazed and just roll with it. Judged cars at national level meets is pretty serious business. Many of those guys will have spent more on their trailer than you spent on your car. Have fun with it, no matter what!
Old 3/17/05 | 01:02 PM
Banned

Definetly just into the local summer cruise and shows and stuff like that. I entered my 2000 Special Edition Zink Yellow Cougar in the Ford Falcon Club if Missouri in 2001 and got 2nd place and a trophy. The guy who beat me had a custom paint job, and at least $10,000 into performance and body kits, audio, dvd screens, etc......I knew I wouldnt beat him.
I had a few mods on it, but just very clean and very simple. I felt pretty good about 2nd place in the FWD Cougar Division. There were at least 15-20 in our group. Most of all, it was FUN...People checking out the car, asking you about it, and meeting other owners, I loved it.

I would love to get into something like that this summer just as a hobby.
I just want to know what if there is anything to make my car more unique and classy without going overboard with money or options.

Thanks to everyone with input. Much appreciated. Keep 'em comin....
Old 3/17/05 | 01:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Another expansion on making your car unique, is to develop a theme. A stuffed animal here, a diecast car there etc.

For example, you could get a stuffed tweety bird and put it on top of your engine with the hood open, a few pieces of chrome/yellow in the engine compartment, the two tone seats inside with yellow and maybe even a tweety bird sewn into the headrest etc.

Not saying you have to use tweety bird just saying pick a theme. It also helps to have one that enhances the color of your car. It could be Big Bird, Sponge Bob (pls don't do that one :bang: ), Tweety, or the smiley face. If you do the smiley face get Wal Mart to sponsor you.

A theme, something to set your car apart, and cleanliness will increase your chances. However, it always comes down to the judges. They could be into the rice, the purist, or any other multiple combinations.

Good luck!
Old 3/17/05 | 01:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Oh I'll add that if it's a judged contest, you'll most likely have to have your hood open. And what they'll judge is not only how literally clean the car is from top to bottom, inside and out, but also how well the mods were installed with regard to wiring, mounting, etc.
Old 3/17/05 | 01:30 PM
FR500 Member

I like the theme idea. You definitely need to make a statement and get the attention of the voters. The cheapest thing you can add to your car for a show is some wax. And lots of it.
Old 3/17/05 | 01:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

When I had my 97 SHO I won a few trophies.

I made sure the car was spotless. Made sure the tires were clean - tread an all. Make sure the shocks, springs and wheel wells are clean (a shot of spray paint even came in handy). I made sure everything was nice - used armor all on the window seals and such. Having a rare car helped, especially with a motor like the V8 SHO had.

I also had a display set up in the trunk with an original dealer brochure, magazine ads and the like.

Just remember, every car is going to be shiny, you need something that makes you stick out of the crowd.
Old 3/17/05 | 02:11 PM
Banned

I like the theme idea, but it definetly WONT be tweety, spongebob or a smiley face..............actually I used woodstock from the Peanuts gang on my COugar, and it got a great response. I might go with that again.
Old 3/17/05 | 05:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Go show as a snow & sun daily drive, studs and chains on one side and the wide summers on the other side.
Old 3/17/05 | 05:16 PM
I Have No Life

money, lots and lots of money. New cars are just not in the same class as an old classic.
Old 3/19/05 | 11:43 AM
Team Mustang Source

Another thought - if it's a judged show, here's a tip: While you're detailing the car in the day or days before the show, take off all 4 wheels and clean the back sides of them, the silver painted part of the rotor, the wheel wells and any suspension pieces that are visible from outside the car, mainly the lower control arms.