General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

What is the deal?

Search this Thread

Old 9/26/05, 10:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I have had this problem in the past but this week as been sick. Every time I get on the highway there is someone going really slow and I do by best to pass them and they get all niffed and speed up. They then proceed to ride my bumper and pass me the rest of the trip.

I'll finally get over to let them pass then they slow down again. :bang: Happened to me 3 times this week. It's not like I blow their doors off and flick them off as I pass or something. They are not moving with the flow of traffic.

Why do they chose me to mess with everyone else is passing them too. Is it because I'm in a 2005 Mustang and they think I'm Hot Roding or something?

I try to be a courteous driver.
Old 9/26/05, 11:59 AM
Team Mustang Source

Some people really have nothing better to do and take everything personally. I would suggest just ignoring them to your best ability. If it gets really bad, say someone is brake checking you or being really aggressive get on the phone and call the cops.

I had to do that once. I have a 40 mile trip to work and this guy would not let me pass him for some reason. He brake checked me 3 times. Since this stretch of road is about 13 miles without any on ramps or exits there is usually a cop stationed at the toll booths. Well after calling in he went through the toll and was immediatley pulled over for reckless driving. Granted I was late for work because I had to give a statement but it was worth it. Just hang in there. There are jerks everywhere.
Old 9/26/05, 12:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Glad it's not just me.
Old 9/26/05, 02:35 PM
Bullitt Member

If you are so close you need a brake check, who is the wreckless driver? If you are at a proper distance, there is no brake check, just an idiot who keeps slowing down and speeding up in front of you.

When I am driving, if I can't see your (generic "your" referring to other driver, you may not have been in this situation) headlights I give you two breakchecks, after that, we go from 5 over (I am not risking a ticket because "you" are in a rush) the limit to 9 under. At this point as soon as a passing lane is open, I will slow down even more so that "you" pass and go on.

I figure the slower speed is justified since "you" don't care if "you" hit me, I will make sure it is at a slower speed.

I don't care who passes me, but tailgaiting puts me in danger too.
Old 9/26/05, 03:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by MY05GT@September 26, 2005, 4:38 PM
If you are so close you need a brake check, who is the wreckless driver? If you are at a proper distance, there is no brake check, just an idiot who keeps slowing down and speeding up in front of you.

When I am driving, if I can't see your (generic "your" referring to other driver, you may not have been in this situation) headlights I give you two breakchecks, after that, we go from 5 over (I am not risking a ticket because "you" are in a rush) the limit to 9 under. At this point as soon as a passing lane is open, I will slow down even more so that "you" pass and go on.

I figure the slower speed is justified since "you" don't care if "you" hit me, I will make sure it is at a slower speed.

I was about 5 car lengths or more back and in the RIGHT hand lane trying to pass in the left. I was doing 67 (I had the cruise on) in a 65 while he was doing about 55 (I'm guessing from his slow speed with no four ways on. I put my turn signal on and he slammed on his brakes and swerved into the LEFT lane 3 times!

I hate to burst your bubble but if you cause an accident by brake checking someone, YOU ARE AT FAULT! At least in PA you are.

I suggest you ask next time before making a comment.
Old 9/26/05, 04:19 PM
Bullitt Member

I will stick by the statement that if you have to react drastically, you are too close.

I also said that you (you in particular, not just anybody) may not have been in the situation I was explaining.

I was also hoping to get back to this and expand my definition before anyone had a chance to respond (especially 1999 black 35th GT) because after answering this, it became a topic of discussion at work and other people defined a "brake check" more like your description of basically stomping on the brake. That is NOT what I do nor would I ever suggest somebody do this (at least not in a Mustang that they waited months for ). I will step on the brake to light up the brake lights, most people will realize they are too close and back off, If not , its slow down city.

You did not include the specifics in your previous post and it is obvious with the extra details that in your particular case, you were in a no win situation.
Old 9/26/05, 07:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Well, I'm not going to put words into Vintag's mouth here, but I know that I spend about 95% of my time on the highways. Speaking from my 30k+ of seat time in my 05, I can say that this is definitely an issue. Is it exclusive to the 05? No. I would say that anyone that has a sporty car or something that would suggest that you have a good taste in automobiles (a la 300C, Magnum, etc), is targeted by this.

I don't think most folks even realize they are doing it. Some people do. They are bored. They want to frustrate you in hopes you'll take off around them really quickly. Some people are just plain rude and are looking to take out the frustrations of their day on YOU - the undeserving person with the cool car that they wish they could have (pardon my blatant disregard for humility).

Now, the behavior discussed manifests itself in many different ways. Some are deserving, others (translated as MOST), are not. Sure... I get careless on the rare occasion. Who doesn't? In those 1 in a million times, I deserve what I get - horn honking or light flashing, etc. You could count the number of times I deserve it on one hand.

The rest of the time... I get folks deliberately acting as borderline vigilates. This is dangerous. You should NEVER take the law into your own hands. If someone is acting wrecklessly, let them pass and wrap their car around a tree on their own dime. Don't cause accidents because you feel that they deserve to be put in their place. Leave the law to the cops.

As for what I've seen that agitates me:
people camping in the left lane - not allowing traffic to pass or forcing them to pass on the right.

People camping in the left lane and then deliberately speeding up to force faster traffic to stay behind them

People speeding up on your bumper in the right lane, nearly clipping you as they pass someone in the left again - missing by inches.

People blitzing up on your bumper and flashing their lights to try and force you to move much in excess of the speed limit as you execute a pass.

People whom, once passed, will speed back up, cut you off, and force you back in behind them where they prevent you from passing again.

These are just a few cases that agrivate me most. Many of them are related to people camping in the left hand lane and other folks being just plain discourteous to other drivers.

Folks, if someone wants to pass you, then just let them go. Playing around out there is just plain dangerous. In the attempt to correct someone elses driving behavior, you serve only to endanger yourself and others who may be around you. In the end, you will NEVER correct their behavior. They will merely become aggrivated and behave even more rashly towards other drivers.

Leave the law to the police. As for those that get aggrivated... well, you just have to do your best to be curteous in the face of adversity, and let the folks go. Lock in your cruise and do your best to allow them to pass. Eventually, they will grow tired of the game.
Old 9/27/05, 12:48 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by MY05GT@September 26, 2005, 3:38 PM

It is this attitude that puts even more people in jeopardy. The left lane is meant for passing. NOT driving 9 under the speed limit. As traffic thickens up behind you driving slow, more and more people have less and less time to apply their brakes, and accidents occur. Most states that I've driven in have signs that say 'SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT'. By failing to do so you are breaking the law just as much as the person who is speeding.
Old 9/27/05, 02:36 PM
GTR Member

To The original poster: That occurs alot, happens alot on thruways and in NYC. The best thing to do is get away from the person whos doing it, whether that means backing off or passing, and if it is real bad, call the police once you are at a distance.
Old 9/27/05, 03:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 05GT-O.C.D.@September 27, 2005, 12:51 PM
It is this attitude that puts even more people in jeopardy. The left lane is meant for passing. NOT driving 9 under the speed limit. As traffic thickens up behind you driving slow, more and more people have less and less time to apply their brakes, and accidents occur. Most states that I've driven in have signs that say 'SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT'. By failing to do so you are breaking the law just as much as the person who is speeding.
I agree with everything you said except the Holier than thou "It is this attitude"

I do not recall saying ANYTHING about blocking the left lane. Nope, just checked again, not there! However, 1999 Black 35th GT did state that in his situation the guy was blocking both lanes, but you didn't quote him.

I specifically said I did not care who passed me.

If traffic is backing up behind me, I don't care how many people are there, I am not speeding up ( I am always 5 over and have never been the first car in a traffic line) and I am usually in the right lane to start with.
Old 9/27/05, 03:46 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't see anything Holy about my attitude comment.

If you're in the right lane doing 5 over, then you're not holding up traffic, and all is good.
Old 9/28/05, 12:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Funny thread.......even some "thread rage" detected here.

I simply drive like there's no one else on the road. You're in my way, i'll pass you on the grass...........j/k

But seriously, i try not to get mad at people. Most don't have a clue they're doing something stupid. If i'm coming up fast on someone in the left lane, i'll get off the gas and coast closer to them but not where i'm tailgating them. Most will get the hint and slide to the right and if not, i'll pass them on the right even though i hate doing that, only to avoid tailgating them and causing the "road rage" game.

If someone is coming up hard on me, i'll slide over to let them pass. Sometimes they may come too fast to which then i'll stay in my lane knowing they're gonna pass on the right. I don't wanna make any sudden moves which might cause them to have an accident. If they stay in the left lane and begin to tailgate, i'll put on my signal so they know i'm making an attempt to move to the right, then i'll do so.

No need to get into a fight while driving somewhere. You don't know why they're driving fast to begin with. They could be late for work, always drive like that, or have to get their pregnant wife to the hopspital. Don't assume everyone driving fast is an ****.
Old 9/28/05, 01:24 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I wouldn't say I get picked on, but I do hate it when there is heavy flowing traffic, and I have a tailgater. It's like they think I'm the one holding them back and don't realize there are other cars directly ahead of me. This happens no matter what vehicle you drive here in CA.

Challenges is what this car attracts more than anything.
Old 9/29/05, 06:50 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by FiaCobra@September 28, 2005, 12:03 AM
No need to get into a fight while driving somewhere. You don't know why they're driving fast to begin with. They could be late for work, always drive like that, or have to get their pregnant wife to the hopspital. Don't assume everyone driving fast is an ****.
Agree totally, don't create your own drama. You never know when you are going to encounter some body who's having a "Falling Down" day or is strung out illegal drugs. It certainly isn't worth getting into a serious accident or worse just for 20 ft of road space. Just my $.02.
Old 9/30/05, 09:33 PM

I had this happen to me yesterday, some d!ck in a beat up pickup truck just had to get in front of me then he slows to under 60, so I go around him and he speeds up until he can pass me, pulls in front and slows down again. He did this three or four times. I think he thought it was cool, probably thought "hey I'm faster than a WRX, they're no big deal". Yeah, I could go a lot faster but I just want to get to work at a reasonable speed without collecting yet another speeding ticket.