General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Urban Education

Search this Thread

Old 4/27/05, 11:25 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Come out of the time warp, only middle aged white guys say "bling" and "that's money" in an attemp to be cool. :bang: . So today i'm offering education. 20 inch chrome wheels do not equal bling, and to illustrate we have picures. Yay! And then you guys can all get stickers after the quiz.

These are what you gentlemen term bling. Note the faux diamonds which surround the wheel along with the ornate pattern of the spokes. Yes indeed for those in the know these would be called bling approximately five years ago.

These are not bling. Repeat after me class 20 inches does not equal bling. These are simply chrome wheels.

Bling.

Not Bling.

I hope this helps because every time I read a post about bling wheels, I expect to see a monstrosity from one of the car domain pages. Instead I see a bunch of guys clinging to the idea that they have the patent on how this car should look. News flash...you don't have to worry, this ain't a hip-hop car and you won't see many hip-hoppers wheel hoppin of the line in bling wheels with hydraulics lol. Sorry for the rant. but I did a search on bling on here that came back with 17 blingless pages.
Old 4/27/05, 11:28 PM
Bullitt Member

I totally agree and am sick of everyone putting everyone down. If you like it say it looks good, if you dont, keep your opinion to yourself. No one likes to be put down, or have their car put down for what they like....
Old 4/27/05, 11:37 PM
Cobra Member

finally some voices of sanity and reasoning!!
Old 4/28/05, 03:16 AM
Cobra R Member

well those wheels up top, are definitely bling.
Old 4/28/05, 10:36 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by sodaman@April 28, 2005, 4:19 AM
well those wheels up top, are definitely bling.
Well that's why we call it Urban Education. You passed question number one.
Old 4/28/05, 11:16 AM
FR500 Member

I don't really see the point in this thread. But I looked up the word bling in my handy urban dictionary and it says:

bling- Jamaican slang that has been adopted by some African American rappers and inserted into popular culture. The term "Bling Bling" refers to the imaginary "sound" that is produced from light reflected by a diamond.

But the word "bling" like any slang word is subjective jargon. You can't teach a class on what a word like "bling" technically means, because there is no technicality there to be taught. To me, 20" chrome wheels on a Cadillac Escalade can be referred to as "bling", no matter if they have fake diamonds or even real diamonds in them. But 20" chrome wheels on a Mustang to me is not "bling". I would actually tend to use other wods like hideous, atrocious and repulsive.
Old 4/28/05, 11:20 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by acadian@April 28, 2005, 11:19 AM
But 20" chrome wheels on a Mustang to me is not "bling". I would actually tend to use other wods like hideous, atrocious and repulsive.

Old 4/28/05, 11:31 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by E-Rock+April 28, 2005, 12:23 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(E-Rock @ April 28, 2005, 12:23 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-acadian@April 28, 2005, 11:19 AM
But 20" chrome wheels on a Mustang to me is not "bling". I would actually tend to use other wods like hideous, atrocious and repulsive.

[/b][/quote]

(In J.L. Picard voice) Agreed!!

BTW-after a few years up here you should see what chrome plated aluminum wheels look like-you couldn't give me a set of those!!

Also, I am 44 yrs old, I suppose that makes me middle aged and I would not be caught dead bandying around the word b-----!
Old 4/28/05, 11:48 AM
FR500 Member

Yeah, I have never once heard a middle-aged white guy using the word bling. And if they did so, why would that make them cool? I guess that goes back to my original statement... what was the point of this thread? I don't come on here to be graded, but that's me.
Old 4/28/05, 11:52 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chrome wheels does not equal bling. For those of you that tell people, your 17" chrome rims are too bling for me, guess you don't like any chrome rims since the first chrome rim was introduced. As far as 20" rims, I agree with acadian. They are not bling, they are hideous, atrocious and repulsive. Ya, it's just an opinion.
Old 4/28/05, 12:48 PM
GT Member

Anything thats shiny and expensive can be considered bling. A nice expensive watch can be considered bling. A shiny necklace, a braclet.. and yes chrome rims. whether they are 16" or 20" chrome rims. So for anybody that said they hate "bling" and have a rolex or something like that they must be out of their minds.
Old 4/28/05, 12:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

I read this thread earlier and thought the same thing, "who the heck cares, what's the point of this thread?" My take on it is that anybody can put anything they want on their car, I or you may not like it, but its their car and their wasted money. But I also think you can use the word "bling" however you want. Different words mean different things to different people, and to try and give us a proper education on a slang word is a bit ironic IMO. Its like saying you're only supposed to use the word "aint" in certain situations.
Old 4/28/05, 01:11 PM
Cobra Member

oops my mistake us silly white men
Old 4/28/05, 01:12 PM
GT Member

Also in urbandictionary.com :
http://bling-bling.urbanup.com/1281
Old 4/28/05, 01:23 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by jahnnee5@April 28, 2005, 1:15 PM
Also in urbandictionary.com :
http://bling-bling.urbanup.com/1281
Yup.. just like it says. Expensive and shiny stuff. So i guess the pple that spent all that money on chrome bullits for their stangs are blingin
Old 4/28/05, 01:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Wow, I am so ashamed of my race, gender and age, all at the same time. If my uneducated use of a pop culture term has somehow offended all the non-middle aged white guys out there, I am very sorry.

Question: Would it be appropriate if I started a thread about how stupid young non-white men (or women) are because of their use of a particular word? I think not. You have made statements in the past that are offensive to that portion of society that you clearly dislike. Shame on you, no place for that here.

And yes, gigantic fragile looking wagon wheels look like crap on the 05 Mustang. Can I say crap?
Old 4/28/05, 01:40 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by E-Rock+April 28, 2005, 11:23 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(E-Rock @ April 28, 2005, 11:23 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-acadian@April 28, 2005, 11:19 AM

[/b][/quote]

I am a young guy... I'm going to go with "hideous, atrocious and repulsive bling". So all you hippy liberal "don't give your opinion on things because some sissy might get his feelings hurt" can kiss my butt.
Old 4/28/05, 01:53 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Hellcat6@April 28, 2005, 1:40 PM
Wow, I am so ashamed of my race, gender and age, all at the same time. If my uneducated use of a pop culture term has somehow offended all the non-middle aged white guys out there, I am very sorry.

Question: Would it be appropriate if I started a thread about how stupid young non-white men (or women) are because of their use of a particular word? I think not. You have made statements in the past that are offensive to that portion of society that you clearly dislike. Shame on you, no place for that here.

And yes, gigantic fragile looking wagon wheels look like crap on the 05 Mustang. Can I say crap?
It's "aiiight" "dog" ...... "chill"
Old 4/28/05, 02:11 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by kirby+April 28, 2005, 1:43 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kirby @ April 28, 2005, 1:43 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by E-Rock@April 28, 2005, 11:23 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-acadian
@April 28, 2005, 11:19 AM

I am a young guy... I'm going to go with "hideous, atrocious and repulsive bling". So all you hippy liberal "don't give your opinion on things because some sissy might get his feelings hurt" can kiss my butt.
[/b][/quote]

My thoughts exactly. This is a forum, and I will give my opinion whenever I want. If you are the type to post a pic of your car or an idea you have for your car, and only want positive feedback, why post at all? I would expect anyone else to give their honest feedback on my car. If it's negative, I'll take it for what it's worth. But I'm not going to cry about it.
Old 4/28/05, 02:20 PM
GT Member

Ooooh oooh oooh. Teacher, can we have a lesson on "rice" next?

Quick Reply: Urban Education