General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Upgrading brakes on my Daily Driver (Acura TSX)

Search this Thread

Old 10/5/15, 01:25 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Upgrading brakes on my Daily Driver (Acura TSX)

I'm saving this thread for a writeup and pics. I've never done brakes from scratch before, so this will be a learning experience for me. I've done blower installs, and other engine mods, but no brake work. Go figure. How embarrassing.

Anyways, the details - I have a 2012 Acura TSX, Tori, as most of you know. She has 19k miles on her now. I've been getting a pulsing upon braking lately, and my trust buddy/shop and I determined that I have a warped front rotor set, most like due to pad deposits, etc. I could have

a) got them resurfaced - problem may return later, cost also taken into account for labor
b) got OEM replacements - why? Acura/Honda known to have crappy OEM setups. They do it on purpose to save cost... so I pay OEM pricing to get another $hitty product? No thanks.
c) get an upgrade, aftermarket...looks better, performs better, and will last longer.

So obviously I went with c).

Here's what I got.

I researched a lot of good stuff about Stoptech. I chose the slotted rotors to improve look, without appearing ricey (I hope not, at least).

It arrives next week, and I'll have a buddy help me out. I have all the tools. He has some special caliper tool that he'll bring and blocks of wood. Otherwise, I have the rest.... jackstands, impact stuff, etc....

So wish me luck!!! I'll keep this thread updated with progress/pics.
Old 10/5/15, 01:56 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Did you get pads as well? I like the carbotech street pads.

I also have the stoptech slotted. They do look nice. I also like that the carbotech pads are red, which look great with my black rotors.
Old 10/5/15, 01:58 PM
Cobra R Member

Also, impact shouldn't be needed for brakes, make sure you don't bust a bolt. Slide pin bolts generally only need very little torque, and black bolts also don't need a ton (usually 50-60 foot pounds assuming similar size as American vehicles).
Old 10/5/15, 02:11 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
Did you get pads as well? I like the carbotech street pads.

I also have the stoptech slotted. They do look nice. I also like that the carbotech pads are red, which look great with my black rotors.
You have the same? Nice! My two main concerns/questions are:

a) how do you like the performance compared to stock? I assume you have them on your V6 pony? Better brake feel? shorter stopping? no pulsing? squeaking?

b) How is the rust buildup? I heard there might be considerably more rusting do to the pad not contacting the inner slot surface (obviously)... but I've seen pics where there's rusting in the rotor hat, etc. Anything peculiar you noticed there?
Old 10/5/15, 04:21 PM
Cobra R Member

Performance is about equal to stock. Bought them purely for looks, and because they weren't much more expensive then Centric blanks. I'd prefer blanks for performance reasons, but these seem to do OK and look better.

The only rust I've noticed so far is the rotor face between the hat and where the pad contacts the surface. There was some black coating there, but it seemed to be different then the hat/outer circumference coating in that it was easily removed while installing everything. It's not terribly noticeable.

ETA - any performance gains I've seen in braking have been due to my pads. The Carbotech work pretty well for street use, and seem to offer slightly better stopping power than typical OEM pads, and seem to resist fading a bit better.

Last edited by Joeywhat; 10/5/15 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10/9/15, 06:11 PM
I Have No Life

Something arrived at my front door today quality was actually pretty good. Buddy and I will be installing it tomorrow morning. Wish us luck. I even have my impact wrenches and drivers ready.
Attached Thumbnails Upgrading brakes on my Daily Driver (Acura TSX)-photo656.jpg   Upgrading brakes on my Daily Driver (Acura TSX)-photo642.jpg   Upgrading brakes on my Daily Driver (Acura TSX)-photo941.jpg   Upgrading brakes on my Daily Driver (Acura TSX)-photo700.jpg  
Old 10/12/15, 08:31 AM
I Have No Life

Ahhhh... at long last, my brake upgrade/installation is complete! I would have posted this Saturday after it was done, but alas, I was exhausted!

I've been enjoying the fruits of my labor for the last couple days. All I can say is W. O. W. I've been living with $hitty brakes for the past almost 2 years. You don't realize how bad your brakes were until you get new/good ones. The braking now is immediate and smooth, with much better feel. I think the guy who posted that I had deposits on my OEM rotors from the pads was probably right. I must have broke hard, then stayed on the brakes without allowing proper cool down. Nevertheless, lesson learned. It doesn't excuse the fact that the OEM Acura brakes suck.

This go around, I did the proper bedding process. I found an empty highway close to me, then I went 60mph to 10mph about 4 times. I then drove about 5-10 minutes to allow proper cooling, and shifted it to park while at the light. Brakes are PERFECT now. I love them, both for feel/performance/looks. Thanks Stoptech! I might even consider these for Marilyn and her Brembos. hmmmm

The install process itself was not that bad. We would have been done in a couple of hours if it weren't for the stupid rotor screws. I went 7 for 8... successfully removing 7 using my Impact Drill. 1 of them stripped. So I had to drill out the stupid thing. Took me an additional 30 minutes dealing with that...ugh. I also had to go to the local parts store to rent the brake caliper tool box. I couldn't turn the rear piston calipers to compress them using a chisel/screwdriver. Whoever says/said they did, is LYING. No way Jose. Anyways, got them done easy enough, within 3 hours. A buddy of mine helped as an extra set of hands too. The rear rotors were harder to work with than the front because room/access is more limited. Then the socket would interfere/hit the suspension bolt. Bad design, Acura. tsk tsk.

I'd do this again in a heartbeat. SUPER easy. And fun.

Pics: (first one is of the stripped screw I had to drill out!!!)

Fronts removed

Rears removed

Fronts on. It's a nice subtle improvement in looks, imo. Sporty without being overbearing.

Last edited by FromZto5; 10/12/15 at 08:33 AM.