General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Toyota and Subaru Re-enter RWD Coupe Market Together.

Search this Thread

Old 4/22/08, 01:32 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Toyota and Subaru Re-enter RWD Coupe Market Together.

Yep, a shared rwd coupe platform utilizing a boxer four.

http://carscoop.blogspot.com
Old 4/22/08, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kind of a weird marriage of convenience, but may result in some interesting offspring: a neo Corolla GTS for Toyota and a hopefully far better looking XT for Subaru, albeit just RWD as opposed to Subaru's stated raison d'etre all AWD lineup.

My guess is that it'll use a lot of Subaru's mechanical bits and pieces with Toyota pitching in on the body and interior. Could be quite interesting as Subaru's bits and pieces are generally quite good, what with the STi-class motors delivering upwards of 300hp and all.

Not quite sure how this would fit into Subaru's lineup without stepping on existing Imprezza WRX or STi toes, but maybe a smaller 2+2 RWD coupe will set it apart enough.

Toyota's sport'n lineup though has been a yawning void for some time now in desperate need of some soul and spirit.
Old 4/22/08, 02:45 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What always attracted me to the mustang was its inexpensive, pretty light wieght, rwd. It makes me sad that the mustang keeps getting pushed up and up in price and is no longer the bang for buck it once was.

Thats it, make a new mustang II but learn from our mistakes.. smaller lighter weight, but carry over same engine.

So make the stang 2900-3000 lbs, 300hp. cut fluff off to reduce base V8 price to 20k.
Old 4/22/08, 02:54 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I like that idea Batman

It'll be interesting to see if Subie keeps the RWD platform entirely RWD or just uses it for a RWD based AWD car. After all, one of their slogans is that AWD comes standar. I can't see them eliminating that selling point.

I wouldnt mind seeing Toyota make a RWD car again. Lets hope it isn;t as boring as the rest of their lineup. Then again, maybe lets hope it IS as boring Keep the Ford flames burning
Old 4/23/08, 10:22 PM
FR500 Member

Hmm... return of the Hachi for Toyota? Don't know what Subaru can use it for - maybe SVX-lite?
Old 4/23/08, 10:26 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

It gonna be ugly (Subaru) and boring to drive (Toyota) car.
Old 4/24/08, 03:10 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Red Star
It gonna be ugly (Subaru) and boring to drive (Toyota) car.
Try driving a '93 Supra Turbo. Nothing boring about it.
Old 4/24/08, 05:31 AM
Cobra R Member

looking forward to seeing this car. Remember this, all of subarus cars are awd, but only in america. they have a big kei car market in other countries. i'll see if i see anyhting over the next few months when i am down at my parents. Subaru NA is based in south jersey.
Old 4/24/08, 10:26 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
Try driving a '93 Supra Turbo. Nothing boring about it.
We are in 2008 now. Toyota doesn't make cars like Supra anymore. Only boring cars like Corolla and Camry.
Old 4/24/08, 11:08 AM
Cobra R Member

corolla xrs isnt too bad. i kinda like the scion tc. i will not pass judgement till i see it/ drive it
Old 4/26/08, 03:07 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Red Star
We are in 2008 now. Toyota doesn't make cars like Supra anymore. Only boring cars like Corolla and Camry.
True. And Toyota doesn't make flying cars. What does either point have to do with them building a new RWD coupe?
Old 4/26/08, 02:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

I'm gonna call BS on this one. That drawing is very close if not the same as one from Subaru a couple years ago. I can see Toyota building another RWD car, but like Zoran said, boring. I'm gonna lean towards Toyota borrowing some of Subaru's internals and marketing it as a Lexus.

That and I don't see Subaru marketing ANYTHING other than AWD. That's their selling point, go-anywhere-drivability for a reasonable price.

Speaking of Toyota, what are they thinking recently. I heard that they are thinking of cramming their lineup with yet another SUV
Old 4/27/08, 02:13 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
True. And Toyota doesn't make flying cars. What does either point have to do with them building a new RWD coupe?
It has to do with the fact that Toyota's ability to produce anything exciting in the now is being questioned. So its RWD, big whoop.

Doesn't mean its gonna be cool or fun. a '93 Supra is one thing, in fact its pretty slick. But something cool like that? I don't think Toyota has the ***** to build anything cool anymore.

Even that statement is being generous. It's not like they had very many cool cars even in the past

Last edited by future9er24; 4/27/08 at 02:15 AM.
Old 4/27/08, 03:19 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by future9er24
It has to do with the fact that Toyota's ability to produce anything exciting in the now is being questioned. So its RWD, big whoop.

Doesn't mean its gonna be cool or fun. a '93 Supra is one thing, in fact its pretty slick. But something cool like that? I don't think Toyota has the ***** to build anything cool anymore.

Even that statement is being generous. It's not like they had very many cool cars even in the past
Well, all that presupposes that a RWD Toyota performance coupe will automatically be dull. The ones of the past certainly weren't. Just because their current lineup has faltered into appliance status doesn't mean this car will follow suit. In fact, its very existence - if it happens at all, that is - will fly in the face of everything else in its lineup.
Old 4/27/08, 02:17 PM
Post *****

I'm personally not so sure of that. I think, despite the break from wrong wheel drive to RWD, it will still hold true to the current Toyota trend of being a snoozemobile.

No offense to you, but I really can't see Toyota doing anything exciting in the near future.
Old 5/1/08, 01:07 PM
V6 Member

what about for toyota?? a mesh of the supra, celica, and scion tc??
Old 5/1/08, 11:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

That and I don't see Subaru marketing ANYTHING other than AWD. That's their selling point, go-anywhere-drivability for a reasonable price.
Subaru isn't completely AWD globally...it's just a marketing ploy they use in some markets.
Old 5/2/08, 10:11 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jsaylor
Subaru isn't completely AWD globally...it's just a marketing ploy they use in some markets.
This is true globally but in the US there is no subaru that is not AWD. So if they are going to sent it here then a AWD is a must.

And in fact any of subaru current cars could be rwd as all of their engines are mounted the correct way. so would be very easy to add the AWD to a RWD model.
Old 5/2/08, 11:14 AM
Cobra Member

If a RWD coupe does happen for Toyota, it will probably be branded a Lexus or Scion. And they will probably grab some AWD tech from Subaru.
Old 5/2/08, 11:16 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Knight
This is true globally but in the US there is no subaru that is not AWD. So if they are going to sent it here then a AWD is a must.

And in fact any of subaru current cars could be rwd as all of their engines are mounted the correct way. so would be very easy to add the AWD to a RWD model.
Actually I agree with what you're saying but thought it worthwhile to point out that a Subaru coupe might not possess standard AWD in every market. Still, like you I find it difficult to imagine Subaru developing anything, even in conjunction with Toyota, and not making it awd compatible at the least.

In fact, standard AWD on the Subaru...here in North America anyway.....and no AWD option on the Toyota could be a great way to differentiate the offerings. Throw in a boxer engine for the Subie, an inline-4 or V6 for the Toyota, and sufficiently unique styling for each model and you could have what are in fact two very similar cars that look, drive, and market rather differently.

Last edited by jsaylor; 5/2/08 at 11:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Toyota and Subaru Re-enter RWD Coupe Market Together.