General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Toyota To Shut Down All American Plants

Old 4/4/11, 04:56 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Toyota shutting down isn't good for any of the employees who work there, any of the other sources for parts and supplies for those manufacturers, and even for the businesses OUTSIDE of that circle, such as performance shops like me. Some parts are already stupid expensive($90 for a Supra coolant hose, no joke), so what happens if they become short supplied? What happens if they run out? What happens if that's a FACTORY only piece? It doesn't exactly help me to have to start looking cross country for parts when I could usually go down the street to my Toyota dealer.

Whether or not people believe its "unamerican" to support foreign car makers, they forget THOUSANDS of Americans are employed by them(do you really think Ford built these Mustangs 100% in this country?), and thousands of businesses make their bread and butter off of them as well. Saying things like "buying foreign is unamerican" really is truly unamerican. Our economy isn't just a straight line when products are considered.
Old 4/4/11, 04:58 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 587 Likes on 421 Posts
Originally Posted by fdjizm

A prius is more american made than a camaro.
I think the Prius is still made in Japan, so I guess they're about the same since the Camaro is Canadian, eh.
Old 4/4/11, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haha yes i know that most cars are no where near 100% American. It's the fact your money in the end is going to a Japanese corporation. I do feel for all of those in japan affected by the quake but in the end im not backing down from what I said.
Old 4/4/11, 05:06 PM
Cobra R Member

eh, mate. lol
Old 4/4/11, 05:17 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 587 Likes on 421 Posts
Originally Posted by fdjizm
eh, mate. lol
LOL, I forgot about the Holden aspect of it.
Old 4/4/11, 06:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Zachsblk115.0
Good, hopefully they stay shut down and people will have to start buying American!!
Simple way of looking at things.
Old 4/4/11, 06:44 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Haha yes i know that most cars are no where near 100% American. It's the fact your money in the end is going to a Japanese corporation. I do feel for all of those in japan affected by the quake but in the end im not backing down from what I said.
Which gets reinvested in their American plants... Global economy, man.

How do you feel about all the people in Europe/China/etc that buy Ford/GM products?

Maybe they should adopt your logic and stop buying American.
Old 4/4/11, 07:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
And after pearl harbor, I don't see how any true American would want to go and support a japanese automaker.... My grandfather defiantly taught me better.
Just my opinion guys. Take a chill pill lol
No, I won't take a chill pill. You are offensive in the extreme. Frankly, your grandfather is a complete moron, and so are you. Because of the outcome war, and hard **** work ON BOTH SIDES, the Japanese have since been a good ally of the Americans.

And if you would pull your head out of the nether regions your grandpa helped you get it into, you'd read the article and figure out that this is also affecting workers who make the cars HERE in America. Not to mention the suppliers who can't give Toyota the parts, and not to mention people HERE IN AMERICA who sell, support, service, etc, those cars. And that's not just HERE, but everywhere.

Of which, I happen to BE one of those people who very well could be negatively affected, thanks. Certainly not as bad as those in Japan who are dealing with the nightmare there, but still, I am not happy about these events.

So in closing? Screw you, and your grandpa while we're at it.

/I probably fed a troll, but I don't care.
//Serously, it pisses me off that people bring up Pearl Harbor regarding the tragedy in Japan.
///When it's our turn, I hope we all aren't remembered for the few idiots.
////And with this, we might wanna turn this over to the politics section... it might get ornery.
Old 4/4/11, 07:43 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
And after pearl harbor, I don't see how any true American would want to go and support a japanese automaker.... My grandfather defiantly taught me better.
Well grandpa, I can understand that to a degree. But you are forgetting that the old guard of the Japanese leadership that attacked the US have been held accountable and are long gone. Since then, our two countries have become solid friends for many decades now. Japanese corporations hire many American workers and provide US Corporations many opportunities. The Japanese people themselves are no different than you and I - Human Beings working and struggling their way through life, trying to provide for their family.

Same goes with Germany. But Hitler and his entourage were held accountable and are also long gone. Germany and the US have also become strong friends for many decades now. German corporations hire many American workers and provide US Corporations many opportunities. The German people themselves are no different than you and I - Human Beings working and struggling their way through life, trying to provide for their family.

So tell me grandpa, if your convictions are so pure, are you still buying oil & gas that comes from Arab/Muslim countries - who's sneak attack on innocent civilians on our mainland 9 1/2 years ago took more lives than Pearl??

Isn't that hypocritical to fill your tank with Arab oil as you hope people that work at Japanese firms suffer financially?

Vote with your pocket book, buy where you choose. I do and there are only Fords, a Chrysler, and a Jimmy on my ranch. But I have no prejudice against those Countries of people that long ago have demonstrated repentance and made reparations where due, and become friends. So Pearl Harbor should have no bearing any more.

As to those Arab/Muslim countries whose citizens & governments continue to blame the US for all their ills, and continue to plot to destroy US citizens and property... well I would just as soon not give them another penny of my money for oil, and would be overjoyed to export sewage to them and **** on their food supply. No repentance, no reparations = no forgiveness, no friendship.

btw grandpa, have you sent your donation for Japanese Humanitarian relief yet? Or does Pearl prevent you from that too? Heck I can't make my bills and go in the hole each month, but I still found a credit card I could use to help my Japanese neighbors across the Pacific during their time of need. Regardless of Dec 7th 1941.

Last edited by cdynaco; 4/4/11 at 07:49 PM.
Old 4/4/11, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by houtex

No, I won't take a chill pill. You are offensive in the extreme. Frankly, your grandfather is a complete moron, and so are you. Because of the outcome war, and hard **** work ON BOTH SIDES, the Japanese have since been a good ally of the Americans.

And if you would pull your head out of the nether regions your grandpa helped you get it into, you'd read the article and figure out that this is also affecting workers who make the cars HERE in America. Not to mention the suppliers who can't give Toyota the parts, and not to mention people HERE IN AMERICA who sell, support, service, etc, those cars. And that's not just HERE, but everywhere.

Of which, I happen to BE one of those people who very well could be negatively affected, thanks. Certainly not as bad as those in Japan who are dealing with the nightmare there, but still, I am not happy about these events.

So in closing? Screw you, and your grandpa while we're at it.

/I probably fed a troll, but I don't care.
//Serously, it pisses me off that people bring up Pearl Harbor regarding the tragedy in Japan.
///When it's our turn, I hope we all aren't remembered for the few idiots.
////And with this, we might wanna turn this over to the politics section... it might get ornery.
Your an idiot, go ride of in the sunset with your yota and hope your frame don't rust in half, or your gas pedal don't stick..
Old 4/4/11, 08:11 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Where is a moderator when you need one?
Old 4/4/11, 08:15 PM

In the end guys we all have our opinions, and all have been raised different. So sry if I offended anybody, and I understand alot of what you all are saying. I'm still never buying a Toyota tho.
Old 4/4/11, 09:01 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

In the end guys we all have our opinions, and all have been raised different. So sry if I offended anybody, and I understand alot of what you all are saying. I'm still never buying a Toyota tho.

Well, opinions are like ***holes. Everyone has one.

As for your ignorance, I surely hope with that frame of mind you never land in a position of power.

Last edited by Antigini-GT/CS; 4/4/11 at 09:02 PM.
Old 4/4/11, 09:09 PM

Ha I don't think Obama is doing any better than what I could.
Old 4/4/11, 09:22 PM
Cobra R Member

I like this thread

sent by underground wire tap
Old 4/4/11, 09:23 PM
Cobra R Member

Is there any Toyota plants in Japan?

sent by underground wire tap
Old 4/5/11, 04:42 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Enough with the name calling . . . .

Feel free to call each other names behind your computer via PMs.

This thread will be closed if name calling banter continues.
Old 4/5/11, 05:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Just lock it already.
Old 4/5/11, 06:57 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Good, hopefully they stay shut down and people will have to start buying American!!
:stfu:

Thanks alot John and Scothew! Where's that smiley when I need it.

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 4/5/11 at 06:59 AM.
Old 4/5/11, 06:58 AM

Heard on the radio today that Toyota wasn't laying anyone off, they are just going to have their workers trained on other jobs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Toyota To Shut Down All American Plants