General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Toyota: Moving Forward

Search this Thread

Old 2/9/10, 06:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyota: Moving Forward

They kinda took that slogan to heart didn't they?

Old 2/9/10, 06:37 PM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperSugeKnight

BOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!............ ......................HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 2/9/10, 06:42 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

ROFL Can you believe Consumer Reports still defends them

I saw on MSNBC and they were talking about Toyota and they brought some important guy from CR and he said their reputation will not be damaged

Old 2/9/10, 06:53 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by SuperSugeKnight

Old 2/9/10, 06:56 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Old 2/9/10, 07:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Star
LOL!!
Old 2/9/10, 08:32 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 2/9/10, 08:40 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Nice!
Old 2/13/10, 07:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Mach1mania
Now that's funny!
Old 2/14/10, 09:32 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
sure did!
Old 2/14/10, 04:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Har har, all funny stuff.

Little known (or is it little dispensed?) fact: Every Toyota made in this recall **will stop the car** if one simply pushes on the brakes and doesn't let up. The engine will strain. Tires might smoke. It won't be pretty. But it will stop.

http://blogcabin.boston.com/mt-searc...&MaxResults=20

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...tion-tech_dept

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car...vers-editorial

Camry, G37 and A Roush Mustang(!) were all tested, and all stoppped. The Roush was most strenously objecting, and the G37 has an autokill throttle when the brake is pressed (one wonders how you can do a burnout in it though...)

In any case, unless the brakes stop working completely (and how many times does that happen... honestly?) a car should stop. Period.

You'll also find some previously known "killer cars" that have, in the overwhelming majority of cases like this, been proven to be driver error as to why the car is out of control.

---

We take people, and fling them into their "safe little boxes" and give them licenses. These are the people with no clue as to how to even correctly position themselves out of a parking lot (ON THE FRACKIN' LEFT SIDE!!! [US]), and we expect them to know to just PUT THE BRAKES ON in an 'out of control' acceleration scenario.

One is not terribly surprised then, if one thinks about the quality of drivers out there, and the coddling they receive in these super safe autos.

Talk about government control, there's a prime example.

/ok, I guess I'm done. Sorry. I hate the entire situation and bad info after bad info, and it got me riled. I'll be good now.
Old 2/15/10, 07:07 PM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 2/15/10, 08:04 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 2/15/10, 08:09 PM
I will buy Jack Stands!!!

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

All I have to say
Old 2/15/10, 08:11 PM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Originally Posted by mustangGT90210

All I have to say
Now that is funny.
Old 2/16/10, 04:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Old 3/8/10, 07:03 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CHP uses Cruiser to stop out of control Prius

Originally Posted by BoogieNights
Runaway Toyota Prius stopped on I-8 by CHP patrol car

Monday, March 8, 2010

A Toyota Prius, which was apparently speeding out of control due to a stuck accelerator, had to be slowed and stopped by a California Highway Patrol vehicle Monday, according to a CHP officer spokersperson.
The car, which was traveling eastbound on Interstate 8, was reportedly stopped by the patrol car, which drove in front of the runaway hybrid and engaged its brakes. The CHP was in communication with the male driver, who is traveling at about 90 miles per hour eastbound on I-8.
Radio traffic indicated the driver was unable to turn off the engine or shift the car into neutral.
The CHP considered using a spike strip to help slow the car, but was concerned it would cause the driver to lose control and crash. The car was finally stopped successfully near Descanso without injury.

Read more: http://www.sdnn.com/sandiego/2010-03-08/local-county-news/runaway-toyota-prius-stopped-on-i-8-by-chp-another?nggpage=2#ixzz0hdmpCVho
Old 3/8/10, 08:43 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by houtex
Har har, all funny stuff.

Little known (or is it little dispensed?) fact: Every Toyota made in this recall **will stop the car** if one simply pushes on the brakes and doesn't let up. The engine will strain. Tires might smoke. It won't be pretty. But it will stop.

http://blogcabin.boston.com/mt-searc...&MaxResults=20

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...tion-tech_dept

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car...vers-editorial

Camry, G37 and A Roush Mustang(!) were all tested, and all stoppped. The Roush was most strenously objecting, and the G37 has an autokill throttle when the brake is pressed (one wonders how you can do a burnout in it though...)

In any case, unless the brakes stop working completely (and how many times does that happen... honestly?) a car should stop. Period.

You'll also find some previously known "killer cars" that have, in the overwhelming majority of cases like this, been proven to be driver error as to why the car is out of control.

---

We take people, and fling them into their "safe little boxes" and give them licenses. These are the people with no clue as to how to even correctly position themselves out of a parking lot (ON THE FRACKIN' LEFT SIDE!!! [US]), and we expect them to know to just PUT THE BRAKES ON in an 'out of control' acceleration scenario.

One is not terribly surprised then, if one thinks about the quality of drivers out there, and the coddling they receive in these super safe autos.

Talk about government control, there's a prime example.

/ok, I guess I'm done. Sorry. I hate the entire situation and bad info after bad info, and it got me riled. I'll be good now.
So refreshing! Too bad only a fraction of people will read it.
Old 3/9/10, 03:29 AM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Runaway Toyota Prius stopped on I-8 by CHP patrol car

Monday, March 8, 2010

A Toyota Prius, which was apparently speeding out of control due to a stuck accelerator, had to be slowed and stopped by a California Highway Patrol vehicle Monday, according to a CHP officer spokersperson.
The car, which was traveling eastbound on Interstate 8, was reportedly stopped by the patrol car, which drove in front of the runaway hybrid and engaged its brakes. The CHP was in communication with the male driver, who is traveling at about 90 miles per hour eastbound on I-8.
Radio traffic indicated the driver was unable to turn off the engine or shift the car into neutral.
The CHP considered using a spike strip to help slow the car, but was concerned it would cause the driver to lose control and crash. The car was finally stopped successfully near Descanso without injury.

Read more: http://www.sdnn.com/sandiego/2010-03-08/local-county-news/runaway-toyota-prius-stopped-on-i-8-by-chp-another?nggpage=2#ixzz0hdmpCVho

Ok I read that story just now and how can you not get a car to stop by turning it off?? All you have to do is turn the key to the off position and it kills the ignition to the coil and that makes the spark not happen in the cylinder which inturn the engine shuts off. Sorry I am just in awe over some of these things that happen.
Old 3/9/10, 08:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Well, in looking at the situation... if it's a push button car, it won't immediately turn off... and they keys just have to be in the car somewhere to turn it on, there's no key slot.

Which is an issue if you *don't know your car* competely.

And yes, Toyota's looking into changing the keyless ignition:
http://articles.latimes.com/2010/feb...on11-2010feb11

Basically, like a locked up computer (which one might like to compare it to) if nothing else can be done, you press *and hold* the ignition button for 3 seconds, and then the engine will stop. tapping it doesn't do anything.

I'm not real sure the tap three times is a good idea... "hey daddy, watch!" *tap tap tap*. That'll be real funny until Toyota (or whoever) gets slapped with a suit on that problem.

This is the problem with 'cute-ing' up the cars with all this technological crap: Nobody reads the manuals until *after* there's a problem. AND they just simply... DON'T NEED IT.

I swear, I love simple in a car. It's to be driven, not lived in. Bad enough with electronic throttles... I'm still not completely happy with that idea, but what are ya gonna do?

/not buy the car with the techy crap on it. See any lately?

Quick Reply: Toyota: Moving Forward