General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Top Gear...american opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 6/29/05, 08:25 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Welp TG is on Discovery now..what do you guys that have never seen TG think?
How about those that have? what do you think?

Lets hear those opinions about the Americanized version.
Old 6/29/05, 08:28 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
commercials take away from it for one.

Also I cant tell yet, but are the center sections between the car reviews where they are in the studio new???? Seems like it since they explained what the power board was and also nothing was on it before the Lotus. I know it wasnt the first car on there was it? Its bad that they know we are too lazy to look up the conversions on the prices since they list it in european currency and we dont know what that is so thats why they put it in a subtitle at the bottom.
Old 6/29/05, 08:31 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

ok yes, way to many commercials and way to often. Obviously you can tell TDC is after some advertising $$$$'s.
Old 6/29/05, 09:04 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

hehe..yes the parts in the studio are new and I agree seeing it withouht all the commercials is way better. but then you know that would happen.
I got the impression that Richard wasn't to thrilled at the new format a bit at least at the beginning.
I'd wish they'd stick to the same format at the brit version. I'd like to see the news and such even if it was english. It may actually edumicate our rears.
Old 6/29/05, 09:08 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

I'll tell you what..that certainly was a large mix of older and newer segments. I've seen them all except the Bowler Wildcat one and the last one on the beach so i was diggin it.
Old 6/30/05, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doug,
Hi,

So, what was your general impression of Top Gear, U.S. ? give us a review of what was on,
What cars did they have on there, how did the humour come across, was it too much old stuff not enough new ,
Did they have a U.S. version of , "Star in a reasonably priced car", and was "The Stig" there?

Regards,

Angus.

Old 6/30/05, 07:54 AM
Team Mustang Source

I agree about the commercial part, just when I was getting into the car, bamm, commercial, but besides that I enjoyed it. TDC is good at putting lots of adds in their shows I especially liked the hosts' attitudes. They seemed really down to earth (at least to me) compared to Car & Driver TV.

I got a few good laughs out of it too which always adds to the fun, with "The Stig," and the one guy saying "I am a driving god!"

The segment with the Jag XKR was my personal favorite, that Jaguar Racing Green is such a gorgeous color. When the sunlight hits it in the right way it just glows like a goldish-bright green color!

I also enjoyed the segment with the Koenigsegg Brilliant car and wickedly fast!

All in all this will be a weekly show for me
Old 6/30/05, 08:02 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I am so glad we do not have the commercials here.....that would ruin it for me. I like the hour to be filled with nothing other than the cars!

I take it from the comments that they have deleted the news pieces?
Old 6/30/05, 08:13 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
I missed the episode . . . . darn. I remember (from reading this post) about 40 minutes into the show and didn't want to watch just 20 minutes of the program.
Old 6/30/05, 08:56 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Evil_Capri@June 30, 2005, 10:16 AM
I missed the episode . . . . darn. I remember (from reading this post) about 40 minutes into the show and didn't want to watch just 20 minutes of the program.
Hey Jason,

Don't worry, it'll be on again on Saturday at 6 p.m. est. I'll be watching again, this time on a big screen with surround sound.... hope I don't drool too much on the couch
Old 6/30/05, 09:20 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Doug, I realized it about 10min after my post that the in studio reviews were new. Yeah I dont think Jeremy or Richard Hammond seemed to be thrilled about the new version. They just didnt seem to be at their normal (if you guys have seen a full episode of TG from the UK you know what we are talking about).

I hadnt seen the wildcat either, and that section was awesome. I've seen the beach before, just with different cars. I think it was the Jag s-type R, the holden and something else.

I think the show will be better if they get down to actual new reviews and not just highlights of old ones. Also was the Lotus the Stig drive different than from before?? I dont remember him being in an orange one. Makes me wonder if they are doing all teh cars again for the powerboard.
Old 6/30/05, 09:56 AM
Cobra R Member

ya, i saw that other beach scene. it was an S-Type R, a monaro, and a 300C. very fun.

i suppose now i have a reason to get cable... all you peeps with 400 channels and so forth. i can pick up about 4 english channels right now. maybe CBC will start playing TG...
Old 6/30/05, 10:10 AM
GTR Member

Originally posted by jgsmuzzy@June 30, 2005, 9:05 AM
I am so glad we do not have the commercials here.....that would ruin it for me. I like the hour to be filled with nothing other than the cars!

I take it from the comments that they have deleted the news pieces?
WHAT!!!!!!!! u dont have commercials!?!?!?!?!!? :angry: We have a millon fricken commercials per show and have none :bang:
Old 6/30/05, 12:07 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

stig drive is the same with the lotus..yeah the beach i saw with the holden and such.
james they did indeed ditch the news
Old 6/30/05, 12:17 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Originally posted by 94REDGT@June 30, 2005, 8:20 AM
Doug,
Hi,

So, what was your general impression of Top Gear, U.S. ? give us a review of what was on,
What cars did they have on there, how did the humour come across, was it too much old stuff not enough new ,
Did they have a U.S. version of , "Star in a reasonably priced car", and was "The Stig" there?

Regards,

Angus.

Angus,
looks like they chopped the show up and put in new live segments for america. They had a mishmash of videos from past shows and used the new live segments to tie them together.
The humor was ok as it seems they are still trying to figure out what they can and can't get away with. Jeremy did burn the welsh good though lol.
No "Star in a reasonably priced car", the power lap board is blank with the Exige making the first run, no news, and no cool wall. I'm hoping htat they will introduce all of these back in as time goes on. If you've seen the English version of TG this comes off like a "best of" show. If you've never seen it then it should be pretty cool. I'm spoiled as I've seen all of last season and most of the season before so i know what I'm missing. But over all it was still streaks ahead of anything we have here normally.
Old 6/30/05, 12:28 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

that was true about him getting the welsh!

It was defintely way better than stuff we have here.
Old 6/30/05, 12:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

That was a great quote, "A beautiful, hilly countryside..." or something like that while the rest said "wet" and "nasty"
Old 6/30/05, 06:11 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

looks like they removed the powerballad stig was listening to as well while driving the Exige

Oh next week the DB9 vs train episode is on
Old 6/30/05, 08:29 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Thats one of the best ones (the db9 vs train).

If they remove the music from the stigs runs it takes away from it all! I had noticed he wasnt listening and was just trying to remember if he listened to anything during theorigional take.
Old 6/30/05, 09:16 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

You guys are gonna freak when you hear that DB9 at full tilt! to quote Jeremy "My god It's astonishing!"

That thing just sings!

Quick Reply: Top Gear...american opinions?