General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Top 10 Deadliest Cars

Search this Thread

Old 2/10/15, 06:52 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 843 Posts
I can't get over how GM can't design a decent ignition switch. My wife has a 2005 Saturn ION, and the switch was replaced twice under warranty when she bought the car. Late last year it got replaced again under the recall. Now, the switch still has issues going to the lock position and we got a letter in the mail from GM saying if we have run into this problem, they will replace it yet again. Keep in mind, this was the reason it was replaced twice under warranty.

I have yet to schedule another switch replacement, but seriously, how hard is it to get that right?

Work I've done myself: replace the drivers master power window switch, and replaced both rear window motors, fix water leak up front. When ordering the switch, they wanted the VIN. They ordered the wrong switch...twice! They only got it right when they let me look at the parts list on their computer and I showed them the proper part.

Mechanically, the car has been flawless. Electrically, it sucks. The car now has 95K on it. The window issues were repaired by me at around 60K.
Old 2/11/15, 11:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Is your wife the kind that puts 200 things on a key ring, or no?

I'm only asking because... well, I separate the keys onto different key rings for this one reason, GM or not. Locks are not meant to hold up a lot of weight. So I run with the fob, the key, and one other key I need on it and that's it, to keep the weight down.
Old 2/11/15, 12:09 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 843 Posts
Her key ring is reasonable. It's not like a teenage girl's that has so much crap on it you can't find the keys.