General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

They're baaaaaack

Search this Thread

Old 5/23/05, 01:57 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yep, they are back on the TV again! The car football was hilarious to watch, as was watching Jeremy trying to outrun a 62 ton tank in the new range rover sport. Also, the Merc CLS was awesome

There was also a series preview, it seems that Jeremy will be racing the other two again, this time it involves speedboats.....

I will try to hunt down some video clips.........no promises though

22 May 2005

We're back, that's right Britain's favourite motoring show has returned. And we aren't just in third gear either, only top gear is good enough for us.

This week, we played football in cars, drove something that looks like a box on wheels and tried to blow Jeremy up with a tank. What more could you ask for?

Music to drive to

First, an appeal. We're looking for the nation's favourite driving song. Put simply, we want to know what music improves the driving experience for you. What makes you feel like instead of being stuck on the M3, you're blasting down good old route 66.

Please don't just think of music from the last six months, we want you to dig deep, and come up with some old favourites. Simply fill in our online form with a few details and in a few weeks use your suggestions to select a top five. Then it's down to you to vote for the UK's favourite driving song.

Range Rover vs. Tank

After a long break, we knew you would expect us to return with a bang. And what better to produce a big bang, than a Challenger 2 tank?

The idea was to see if the Range Rover could escape from the tank, which was going to attempt to blow Jeremy and the car into tiny little pieces. The Challenger is designed specifically to move at high-speed across-country, so for Jeremy to escape he was going to have to use every trick in the book. After a long battle of wits, not even the Range Rover could quite manage an escape, the Challenger got a weapons lock and blew Jeremy off the road.

Mercedes CLS AMG

Mercedes have been through a bit of a rough patch recently. They had a knocking in the Top Gear 2004 car survey (The M Class was voted the worst car by you). Owners complained that the cars had poor reliability and that the dealers were not always as helpful as they could've been. But Mercedes say that those days are behind them, they're even reducing their profit margin in their efforts to improve standards. Despite these quality concerns, the CLS is a magnificent car, Jeremy loved it, and spent ages making adoring noises while burning around our test track.

Honda Element

Remember Postman Pat? He had a red van, and it had a sort of unique shape to it. It seems that those Honda bods have been watching a little too much of the British postie, because the Element bears a startling resemblance to Pat's van. But is this Honda the sort of car they should sell in the UK? As James pointed out in the show, Honda's are mostly owned by people who have been collecting their pension for 10 years. But this car is different. It's kind of cool looking, and old people don't really like it, which adds to its credibility. And frankly, we think that Fiona Bruce would be very impressed if you turned up to take her out for a date in it. The Element isn't currently available in this country, because bizarrely Honda say "the UK already has an exciting range of Honda cars". Which is a shame, because this car is good value, and very practical indeed.

Star in a sensibly-priced vehicle

This week's star in our Liana is TV mega-star James Nesbitt, of Cold Feet and Murphy's Law. He joins a long list of celebrities that have broken bits off our Liana. James decided to drive through one of the on-track signs, he didn't even seem to bothered about applying the breakes. Still, he got a jolly decent time of 1:51.

Carchester United

Then, with our proud tradition of inventing new motor sports, Richard introduced the latest, car football, which is exactly what it sounds like. We took 10 Toyota Aygos, a large bouncy football and proceeded to have a game of motoring five-a-side. The rules were simple, score more goals than the other team to win and don't get out of the car. We also thought it might be prudent to disable the ABS and airbags.

Once that silliness was out of the way, it was decided that all of the cars based on the Aygo were all a pretty good buy; the Citroen, Renault and VW versions were around £500 cheaper that the Aygo, so it might be worth investing in one of those instead. And with the easy-to-replace body panels, you and your friends could get together and have a game of car football in your local car park.*

Don't forget, every month there is a free Top Gear calendar to download, to keep your computer desktop looking smart. There are also video clips of past show highlights.

* Please don't do this, we are only joking. The car football in the show was carefully coordinated by trained professionals.

Old 5/23/05, 07:55 AM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea i second you on the cls....I sat in one...BOY!!! they are one of the sleekest automobiles in the world imo
Old 5/23/05, 12:40 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ooh ya! can't wait to see a clip of the tank vs land rover thing
Old 5/23/05, 08:54 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
just watched it..man it was great...this season is gonna completely rock

They showed clips of upcoming episodes and it looks like another race Jeremy driving an SLR...but not sure what the Hamster and James are in (edit just reread james post...speed boats..that makes sence!).

also Richard in the new AM DB9 vert!
as well as the girl that beat jeremys time around the nurburg ring in a diesel is gonna beat his time in a van with richard as copilot!

Also clips of Jeremy in a merc vert getting shot at by a sniper as well as Richard getting shot at through bullet proof glass and jumping a limo over a wedding..without the peopel of course.

Oh man i am so stoked about this season!

if you have a bittorrent client you can get them at Finalgear.com

these guys truely know how to have fun!

man america needs to get on the stick and have a show like this. but now that i've been topgearing for a year..everything else will pale in comparison.

James..i wonder if that Ferrari drop top they showed was also designed by Ken.
Old 5/24/05, 03:26 AM
GTR Member

Doug, you are really going to show mw up here..... Ken???
Old 5/24/05, 05:50 AM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

you know the 612 scaglietti..they kept saying it was designed by a guy named Ken
SOme TG fan you are heheh
Old 5/24/05, 06:26 AM
GTR Member

Ah, I see......

As for being a fan, at least I can actually watch it on my TV, rather than having to computernerddling it!!!
Old 5/24/05, 04:22 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Bow to my nerdness