General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

These be Fightin' words!!

Search this Thread

Old 1/31/08, 04:48 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
These be Fightin' words!!

Bob Nutz...I mean Lutz speaking out his a**...

"That's again designed with the best in class philosophy," he said. "We didn't want to make it as good as the (Ford) Mustang. We wanted to go way beyond where the Mustang is."
http://www.mlive.com/business/index...._restored.html

All I can say is ...BRING IT!! (Sure maybe it's been 7 years since the last one and 3 years since the concept...but bring it anyway)
Attached Thumbnails These be Fightin' words!!-ford.jpg  
Old 1/31/08, 06:40 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As they say talk is cheap - would assume "better" means more unit/$ sales and that this time it will stick around for 45 years
Old 1/31/08, 06:57 AM
V6 Member

Good,the new Camaro needs to be better than the Mustang,Competition improves the breed. I want the Camaro and Challenger to succeed wildly,in sales and performance,then that can do nothing but force the Mustang to keep up and vice versa. My money will go to the best car,i have no loyalty.
The last time SVT wanted to shut down the Camaro for good,we got the '03 Cobra(which was on sale the same time as the '02 SS,so comparisions were valid),not to mention the unofficial decade long battle in the '90s between the prototype 10 liter Boss and prototype Camaro ZL1,so trash talking between brands should be encouraged.
Old 1/31/08, 07:03 AM
Team Mustang Source

I am loyal to the Mustang, but I do agree that competition will breed a better stang in the furure!
Old 1/31/08, 08:39 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Well judgin by the interior, they aren't off to a good start.....
Old 1/31/08, 08:50 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd say his boat is going to sink.
Old 1/31/08, 09:38 AM
Cobra Member

I think both the Camaro & Challenger are going to be nice. But, I don't think its going to effect Ford's plans for the Mustang as much as some people think.
Old 1/31/08, 11:53 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think its any kind of threat. They had no real plan to produce it and just wanted to get a kick in interest with a 'show car'(that looked like any average design school student's final exam project from anywhere), THEN decided to rush it to production. It watered down like any other concept(unfortunately the interior which looked terrible came down to a play-dough version of it in the process) and simply re-skinned another aussie car. It's not much different then the GTO was only thinking to do more then simply change the urethane bumpers this time, yet trying to lower the price point. We'll see, as was said talk is cheap.

I have still never understood why this wowed so many in the process, it has all seemed more like the Colts coming back to Baltimore with the mullet crowd rather then people truly being excited about the car itself in the first place. It looks clumsy and like a normal coupe with a camaro body kit on it more then the ground up, bolt for bolt, S-197 which was PLANNED before they actually started designing it. I think the Camaro looks hackneyed in every possible way. And personally I never liked 60's Mustangs and was F-Body all the way as far as 60's cars go. The design of this car is not structured in the sense that something like the comprehensive upgrade of the new CTS was. The Challenger is not nearly as far a stretch as it's just a Charger coupe all said and done(the show car even had factory Charger pieces in the interior already) so it took its form at lot more smoothly then the Camaro.
Old 1/31/08, 01:39 PM
Closet American

I wouldn't underestimate GM. They are serious about product right now. And if the Camaro gets even 75% of the attention to detail that has gone into recent products like the CTS, G8 or Malibu, I would expect the Camaro to significantly surpass our current S197 Stangs.

The '10 Mustang may be a different story, however.

Also, Lutz needs to remember that he wouldn't even be DOING this new Camaro were it not for the runaway success of the S197. Monkey see, monkey do, I guess...
Old 1/31/08, 02:19 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

no doubt gm's and dodge's cars will be nice, but the stang has what like 43 years running non stop against them!!!

hahaha i say bring it on... no other car will inspire a following like the Mustang has.
Old 1/31/08, 02:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

"Way Beyond" haha, like way beyond in his dreams? The Camaro and Challenger will get wiped off the planet once again, as Mustang remains king, its just how its supposed to be, period.
Old 1/31/08, 03:17 PM
Cobra Member

i guess its time to bring out the TT 4v 5.0!!!
Old 1/31/08, 05:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Well I have no real idea what the base V8 Camaro will be offering, or what it's price will be, but it'll have a tough time beating the 2010 Mustang GT, that's gonna be the GT we've all been waiting for..
Old 1/31/08, 05:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Honestly, what was he gonna say? Something like... "Uhh, our camaro has taken forever to go from concept to production cause we were gonna see how the new mustang would do. We're hoping it wont suck compared to the competition"

Its just propaganda, don't worry about it.

When your "numero uno" everybody wants a piece of you.
Old 2/1/08, 04:09 AM
Cobra Member

I want the new Camaro and Challenger to be better than the S197 Mustang, that way Ford will have to do even better with the next generation.
Old 2/2/08, 06:53 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by poldrv
I'd say his boat is going to sink.
He spoke loud and bold about the GTO too. That worked out well.
Old 2/3/08, 06:24 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
So when some GM fan says "it'll be better than the 05 mustang."

Better hope so...its not exactly a moving target.... and over 4 models old now.

Ford won't take the competition lying down.

I think it'll be interesting to see the new 5.0 vs the LS3 (or that other V8)
the LS3 obviously has cubes behind it.
But how mod friendly is it? and how heavy will the new camaro be?

In the future GM COULD put in the LS9 if really pushed...but that' be just for braggin rights in a ultra low volume car.
But then Ford could come along with a TwinForce 6.2 or 7L BOSS if they put in the time/effort....again, just for braggin rights.

Where the war will really be played is in the V6 market.
Old 2/3/08, 01:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

MotorTrend.com March08 issue landed yesterday. Page 44-45 Full spread of the 2010. Story line thru page 48. Challenger & Camaro, both get a paragraph page 50/51.

Bring it on!!
Old 2/3/08, 02:33 PM
Cobra Member

when they all come out will be about the time im getting a supercharger!..i aint scared!!!
Old 2/3/08, 03:18 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
So when some GM fan says "it'll be better than the 05 mustang."

Better hope so...its not exactly a moving target.... and over 4 models old now.

Ford won't take the competition lying down.

I think it'll be interesting to see the new 5.0 vs the LS3 (or that other V8)
the LS3 obviously has cubes behind it.
But how mod friendly is it? and how heavy will the new camaro be?

In the future GM COULD put in the LS9 if really pushed...but that' be just for braggin rights in a ultra low volume car.
But then Ford could come along with a TwinForce 6.2 or 7L BOSS if they put in the time/effort....again, just for braggin rights.

Where the war will really be played is in the V6 market.
Seriously hoping Ford doesn't let the Mustang at any trim level languish power & handling-wise like it did when the '98-'02 F-bodies were around. If not for the Terminators and Mach 1's, well... It seemed more like a war of attrition last time.

Quick Reply: These be Fightin' words!!