SVT Sport trac Adrenalin

Search this Thread

Old 3/19/05, 10:47 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Gleaned this from the Ford Aussie board
Hope it's not a repost

This looks like the sport track concept. I like it very much!

DEARBORN, Mich. — Ford restocks its SVT showrooms beginning this year with the top-of-the-line Mustang and a high-performance Sport Trac, both of which will be unveiled this week at the New York auto show.
It's even scheduling overtime through December at its Auto Alliance International plant in Flat Rock, Mich., south of Detroit to build nearly 200,000 Mustangs this year. Last year, the company built 112,000 Mustangs. The new Mustang convertible went into production in Flat Rock in February.

Although Ford is keeping details of the high-performance Mustang SVT secret until show time, it has provided a sneak peek of the Sport Trac Adrenalin. The concept is extremely close to the production version due in 2007, Ford confirmed, and it signifies SVT's return to performance trucks.

Phil Martens, Ford group vice president of product creation, said the Sport Trac Adrenalin combines the performance of the Ford SVT F-150 Lightning pickup truck, which is no longer sold, with the practicality of four-passenger seating, four doors, a pickup bed and all-wheel drive.

The Sport Trac Adrenalin is derived from the next-generation Sport Trac, which will debut in May 2007. The Adrenalin version, which will be introduced some months after the base model, features a 390-horsepower, 4.6-liter DOHC supercharged V8 paired with a six-speed automatic transmission. All-wheel drive — a first for an SVT product — and AdvanceTrac with Roll Stability Control round out the package.

What it means to you: Ford is hoping its vaunted SVT squad can pump some enthusiast respect into it's overall product lineup. Given the popularity of the 2005 Mustang, they'll have at least one hit in New York.
Old 3/19/05, 10:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
That is awesome! the only bad part is the two year wait for it to come out
Old 3/19/05, 11:19 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

more pics

I really love this thing and that motor should kick some can for sure!
Although i doubt the shaved door handles will make the production version

Now we know where all those Lightning concept body panel went

Also sounds to me like it's gonna be getting the Cobra motor
Old 3/19/05, 11:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What got my attention?
All-wheel drive — a first for an SVT product

Hmm.
Old 3/20/05, 12:40 AM

Please. Oh please let the Fusion be next in line.
Old 3/20/05, 01:16 AM
Cobra R Member

yeah, that seems like a really long wait. unveil a product over 2 years before it goes on sale? that hurts!
Old 3/20/05, 01:17 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by mustang_sallad@March 20, 2005, 3:19 AM
yeah, that seems like a really long wait. unveil a product over 2 years before it goes on sale? that hurts!
...not that i'm gonna be buying any cars any time soon anyways, but still!
Old 3/20/05, 07:00 AM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like it. Where's the door handles though? :scratch:
Old 3/20/05, 07:04 AM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

hehe that's odd..quoting yourself LOL

I think this truck should do pretty well. And odds are it will become available at the tail end of 2006. so it's not that long. And remeber ford has already said that the cobra is a 2007 car..at least last i heard so just imagine the SVT lineup when that comes out... man they will be back in the saddle. I wonder how much the new Sport trac will weigh in comparion to the lightning. If it's lighter and i supect it is..then this thing should be able to out perform a lighting easily. If that is the case..maybe Ford can take back the top speed crown from Dodge. That would be awesome..a sport track wooping a viper powered truck lol.

Door handles are optional...heheh i wish

I love the rear bucket seats..man that is just cool as heck!
Old 3/20/05, 07:32 AM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree Doug, the rear buckets are a nice touch.
Old 3/20/05, 11:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Looks Nice Even better darker.
Old 3/20/05, 12:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by burningman@March 20, 2005, 8:07 AM
I wonder how much the new Sport trac will weigh in comparion to the lightning. If it's lighter and i supect it is..then this thing should be able to out perform a lighting easily. If that is the case..maybe Ford can take back the top speed crown from Dodge. That would be awesome..a sport track wooping a viper powered truck lol.
In comparison to the old Lightning I have a hard time imagining this outweighing it by a significant margin. And frankly I'd be a little surprised if it didn't weigh noticably less. Though I can guarantee it'll weigh less than a Lightning on the new F-150 would. This is a great idea all around, it'll be easier to make fast than the new F-150, it's helping the Explorer line (which needs help more than the F-150), and in addition to that it's helping the Explorer model that probably needs the most help. Add to that the fact it can seat more than two people and has all-wheel drive.

I'm trying really hard to think of something to dislike about this idea and it's not easy!
Old 3/20/05, 01:25 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I want to like it, but can't lie to myself. Just can't grow into the way the headlight area and front-end looks.
Old 3/20/05, 01:27 PM
V6 Member

Remember the L had the 5.4 sc...a lot more torque to carry the extra weight. I take it that this is the same motor that is in the 03/04 cobra? I thought that was being discontinued?
Old 3/20/05, 02:55 PM
Bullitt Member

NICE
Old 3/20/05, 06:59 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

not bad
Old 3/20/05, 07:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by k-dubb@March 20, 2005, 3:30 PM
Remember the L had the 5.4 sc...a lot more torque to carry the extra weight. I take it that this is the same motor that is in the 03/04 cobra? I thought that was being discontinued?
Well, I would not say they are exactly the same until I knew it for certain. Remember that Ford has a tendency of late to rehash a previously successful motor for suty in a new vehicle. The Mach-1's motor comes to mind, on paper it looked very much like the n/a Cobra V-8's but it had been changed rather significantly.

The hp rating definately makes this look like the 03/04 Cobra's V-8, and it very likely could be identical to that mill. But, for all we know right now this thing could have a twin screw supercharger on it. I am very interested in seeing what exactly is under the hood for one..
Old 3/21/05, 06:00 AM
Bullitt Member

More info about the power- and drivetrains, from Autoweek's New York Auto show page under "specs and info":

"Power for the track, power to tow
The Sport Trac Adrenalin delivers head-snapping acceleration with its 4.6-liter, 32-valve DOHC V-8 powertrain. A Roots-type supercharger and water-to-air intercooler boost output to a whopping 390 horsepower and 390 pounds-feet of torque.
Making the most of the power is a six-speed automatic transmission – the first for any SVT vehicle. The six-speed automatic has proven capable of heavy-duty use, contributing to the projected 6000-pound towing capacities of the Sport Trac Adrenalin.
Adrenalin is hundreds of pounds lighter than other sport trucks built off full-size pickups. The resulting power-to-weight ratio ensures impressive acceleration under full throttle, and good fuel economy during more leisurely driving.

Addressing owners’ requests, the new sport utility truck expands the multi-purpose flexibility current Explorer Sport Trac owners appreciate. More interior room is provided by stretching the current Sport Trac exterior dimensions by nearly five inches in length and two inches in width. More cargo space – 30 percent more, in fact – is created by the wider bed and taller bed rails, and the addition of a pair of lockable “saddlebag” compartments between the cab and rear wheel wells.
SVT-tuned independent suspension offers balanced, agile dynamics
Sport Trac Adrenalin also features superior driving dynamics. With a 113-inch wheelbase, and track just over 60 inches, the Adrenalin offers a more compact footprint than competitors’ sport trucks. Combined with a lighter curb weight, the Adrenalin promises to improve on the nimble, composed dynamics that made the SVT F-150 Lightning famous in enthusiast ranks.
“Ford SVT has long been renowned for its ‘chassis wizards’ who deliver balanced, agile handling, even in the full-size F-150 pickup,” says Hau Thai-Tang, director, Advanced Product Creation and SVT Programs. “Considering its smaller dimensions, lighter weight and fully-independent suspension, the Sport Trac Adrenalin will rival the handling of some performance cars.”
Adrenalin features short- and long-arm front suspension, and a trailing-blade independent rear suspension (IRS). SVT-tuned shock and spring rates, as well as upgraded front and rear stabilizer bars, are designed to provide more aggressive, more controlled driving dynamics. The independent rear suspension is tuned for ultimate control and driver feedback.
Oversized brakes at all four corners help handle the added velocity made possible by 390 horsepower. Huge, split-five-spoke 21-inch wheels – wrapped in 295/45R21 tires – allow ample airflow to keep the big binders cool during rigorous use.
SVT firsts: Spacious seating for four, all-wheel drive and AdvanceTrac™ with Roll Stability Control®
Sport Trac Adrenalin also addresses the requests of SVT Lightning enthusiasts for more seating and the option of all-wheel drive.
For the best handling and power-to-weight ratio, Lightning pickups have always been regular-cab, short-bed variants of the F-150, limiting comfortable seating capacity to two people – or three in a pinch. In addition, Lightnings have solely been equipped with rear-wheel drive, making maximum acceleration a balancing act between full throttle and excessive – if entertaining – wheelspin.
The Adrenalin evolves the fun-to-drive character of the Lightning, while addressing these requests. It features four full-sized doors, providing easy access to comfortable seating for four adults. The drivetrain is designed to accommodate rear-wheel-drive or all-wheel-drive configurations – another first for an SVT vehicle.
“In addition to providing sure footing on slick surfaces, there’s a performance advantage to all-wheel drive,” says Jay O’Connell, SVT chief engineer. “A longstanding problem with performance trucks was their inability to ‘hook up’ from a standing start without excessive wheelspin. This AWD system puts power down through all four tires, helping Adrenalin launch with impressive authority.”
Driving enthusiasts weaned on rear-wheel drive performance vehicles need not fear that all the “fun” of rear drive has been dialed out. The Sport Trac Adrenalin AWD system exhibits a 60/40-torque split biased to the rear, so as weight is transferred to the back set of wheels during takeoff, engine torque is delivered right where it’s needed.
In addition, the all-wheel-drive system is paired with Ford’s industry-exclusive safety system, AdvanceTrac™ with Roll Stability Control®, another first for SVT. Combined, these systems provide an added measure of safety and control during slippery conditions or emergency maneuvers. As such, the Sport Trac Adrenalin offers safety and protection to match its impressive performance."
Old 3/21/05, 11:53 AM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

WOW thaxn for the info 68

Man 390ft/lbs dayum!

I think the Srt Ram in is trouble
Old 3/21/05, 02:19 PM
I'm people, and I like.

that is one cool looking truck

Quick Reply: SVT Sport trac Adrenalin