General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

SRT’s ‘Hellcat’ Supercharged HEMI May Be More Powerful Than Viper V-10

Search this Thread

Old 3/25/14, 12:26 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
SRT’s ‘Hellcat’ Supercharged HEMI May Be More Powerful Than Viper V-10

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/srt-hell...160012740.html

Dodge is set to introduce a mild update for its Challenger for the 2015 model year, an update that's expected to include the addition of a new supercharged HEMI V-8 for the range-topping SRT model. The new supercharged HEMI V-8, which has been nicknamed the Hellcat, is believed to be a 6.2-liter unit, and according to some recent comments from SRT boss Ralph Gilles it may just be more powerful than the 640-horsepower V-10 in the Viper supercar.
The Challenger SRT with the Hellcat will likely be a special model, similar to the 2014 Chevrolet Z/28 which is priced at $75k. This means pricing will probably fall well north of even the Challenger SRT 392’s $46k starting price, which makes sense if the car ends up the most powerful in SRT’s lineup.
Old 3/25/14, 02:24 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That should be interesting...
Old 3/25/14, 03:30 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess this is instead of the Cuda, but it's keeping me interested.
Old 3/25/14, 04:16 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
That should be interesting...
Very interesting. Not sure what the hold up is on the alleged Cuda that is coming out but I'm glad to see Chrysler stepping up their game. Challenger is still a boat but now it's a powerboat.
Old 3/25/14, 04:21 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Very interesting. Not sure what the hold up is on the alleged Cuda that is coming out but I'm glad to see Chrysler stepping up their game. Challenger is still a boat but now it's a powerboat.
I thought it was no Cuda now. I can't keep it straight.
Old 3/25/14, 04:22 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelman
I thought it was no Cuda now. I can't keep it straight.
Maybe it was squashed. Dunno. I try and not listen to Chrysler gossip.
Old 3/25/14, 04:50 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,200 Posts
Holy smokes!
More powerful than a Viper? I bet that is going to cost you, just like the article said. WAY north cost of the current SRT8. Especially being a limited production car.
Old 3/25/14, 05:00 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
They better up-the-ante in regards to braking and suspension, otherwise half of these beasts will end up in a ditch somewhere at the first curve in the road.
Old 3/25/14, 05:13 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Not to mention get some wauder tires on there that the 235/245 combos that come on the SRT8's lol
Old 3/25/14, 08:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's my question, and I guess this holds true to Ford to some extent with Ford's 6.2....

This apparently isn't the 6.1 Hemi that all of the previous SRT's had, nor is it the 6.4 that all of the current SRT's have... why not develop the supercharged platform on top of an already tested, and widely produced motor?

Furthermore, if they're going to come up with something new, why save it for a limited production vehicle?

Personally, If I was the folks at Mopar, my thoughts would be that it's a heck of a lot easier to toss a viper engine into a challenger than do what they're doing with this.

Last edited by friedmaster; 3/25/14 at 08:27 PM.
Old 3/25/14, 08:31 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by friedmaster
Here's my question, and I guess this holds true to Ford to some extent with Ford's 6.2....

This apparently isn't the 6.1 Hemi that all of the previous SRT's had, nor is it the 6.4 that all of the current SRT's have... why not develop the supercharged platform on top of an already tested, and widely produced motor?

Furthermore, if they're going to come up with something new, why save it for a limited production vehicle?

Personally, If I was the folks at Mopar, my thoughts would be that it's a heck of a lot easier to toss a viper engine into a challenger than do what they're doing with this.
I thought the same thing. Perhaps its a slight change so as to modify the compression ratio to handle the supercharger vs an actual newly designed engine? Or perhaps a slight change in stroke while they add forged internals to handle the supercharger?
Old 3/26/14, 05:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought the same thing. Perhaps its a slight change so as to modify the compression ratio to handle the supercharger vs an actual newly designed engine? Or perhaps a slight change in stroke while they add forged internals to handle the supercharger?
Yeah, but I guess my point is -- why re-engineer the whole engine, instead of just bolting a supercharger on top?

It's the same thing (IMO) as the Ford 5.8. Come up with this great engine, sticks around for 2 years, then seems to be disappearing into the abyss.

If we're talking a limited production Challenger, why not throw the Viper v10 in it? Should help bring down the cost of production on the Viper, and a heck of a lot more unique than somebody taking a Challenger SRT and bolting a supercharger on it.
Old 3/26/14, 08:29 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by friedmaster
Yeah, but I guess my point is -- why re-engineer the whole engine, instead of just bolting a supercharger on top?
Because you can't always just 'slap a charger on it and call it a day' in the same way you 'can't remove one and call it a day'

It has to pass all the durability and requirements, so I'd guess in this case being such a different setup with VERY different power requirements, they went with some that suited their needs and had to engineer a different engine.
Old 3/26/14, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agreed, probably the same basic motor but duly uprated to handle what are likely to be some pretty hefty loads reliably and durably. Remember, unlike some buyer slapping on a supercharger, Dodge is going to have to do the warranty work for a number of years should the thing start ripping apart.
Old 3/26/14, 08:30 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by PJRManagement
They better up-the-ante in regards to braking and suspension, otherwise half of these beasts will end up in a ditch somewhere at the first curve in the road.
Naw, traction control and torque management will go a long ways toward quelling that. Even amongst the manly men that like to ride around with the traction control off.

The 500, 600, and 700 horsepower of today is nothing like that same power of yesteryear when it was attached directly to the throttle via a cable and the various control strategies were more primitive.
Old 3/26/14, 10:03 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by bob
Naw, traction control and torque management will go a long ways toward quelling that. Even amongst the manly men that like to ride around with the traction control off.
The 500, 600, and 700 horsepower of today is nothing like that same power of yesteryear when it was attached directly to the throttle via a cable and the various control strategies were more primitive.
---
Sure, nothing like that ever happens any more...
Old 3/27/14, 07:14 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by PJRManagement
---
Sure, nothing like that ever happens any more...

I ride around just about every day with nearly 650 hp at the rear wheels in all kinds of weather and I haven't had those sorts of problems.

Then again my ego doesn't demand that I defeat the provided safety systems on the car during normal driving and my car isn't a garage queen.
Old 4/5/14, 05:53 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Hellcat more powerful than Viper ! WOW !
Old 4/5/14, 08:18 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 2 Go Snake
Hellcat more powerful than Viper ! WOW !

Heh, if its going into the Challenger and maybe Charger it needs the power.

The manual car is 4250 pounds compared to the GT500's 3850 so in order to match the GT500's p/w ratio the Challenger needs at least 730 horsepower at the crank all things being equal.

The caveat of course being gearing, aerodynamics, powertrain efficiency and power under the curve on the same day with the same driver driving each car as effectively as possible.

Hmmm... maybe I should have said disclaimer instead of caveat for that last bit.

Last edited by bob; 4/5/14 at 09:25 PM.
Old 4/8/14, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dodge has seemed content to cede some nth degree levels of performance, numbers wise, positioning the challenger a bit more as a gentleman's pony/muscle car. Seems to have been a safe, effective if somewhat smaller niche as compared to the Stang and Camaro, both which seem a bit more the "numbers" cars, both in terms of performance and sales.

Quick Reply: SRT’s ‘Hellcat’ Supercharged HEMI May Be More Powerful Than Viper V-10