General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

So I'm sayin... the IS F?

Search this Thread

Old 4/22/08, 08:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I'm sayin... the IS F?

Am I the only one that noticed this? I dont even like Toyota/Lexus all that much, but 416HP@6600rpm and 371tq@5700rpm from a DOHC 5.0L V8? No forced induction, 11.8:1 compression ratio, 8-speed automatic transmission that shifts in 0.1 seconds, 3780 lbs.

So I have two questions...
What in the HELL inspired Lexus to make such a beast and
Ford, can I get a confirmation on that new 5.0 please?

Thanks.

carpoint link
http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/de...s&model=IS%20F
Old 4/22/08, 09:18 AM
Cobra Member

It's MSRP is higher than a GT500.
Old 4/22/08, 10:17 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Reminisce
What in the HELL inspired Lexus to make such a beast and
First question: the M3, RS4, and C63.

Second: no comment.

Personally i think its a great looking car (although i know there are some that think of it as an overgrown corolla), but the IS350 or ISF is the first Lexus that id ever consider buying (if i had that kinda cash). So i think theyve done well in getting themselves into the younger buyer market.
Old 4/22/08, 10:47 AM

Pretty impressive car in general, if perhaps the ugliest engine bay in the world (looks like the wire and plumbing refuse drop-off bin at the recycling plant).

ScottyBoy pretty much answered your first question. Seems Lexus wants to move beyond the nearly perfect but perfectly soulless cars its been selling to middle managers and their Stepford wives for nearly three decades now. The Germans have pretty much perfected the high performance mid-size luxury car for decades now, giving muscle-car punch without the crudeness and clumsiness (though Pontiac's G8 might well be achieving the same thing at a 50% discount).

As for any lessons for the upcoming Ford 5.0, the Lexus motor, done with help from Yamaha, goes to show the the 400hp level is readily attainable with current, but not bleeding edge, engine design and technology. It carries many of the contemporary level tech -- FI, DOHC, 4V, etc. -- without resorting to uber tech -- DI, forced induction, VVT -- that shows that Ford ought to be able to do the same without breaking any budgets. Ford's already achieving close to that 80hp/l specific output with their Duratec 3.5 running on 87 octane swill and sticking them in all manner of dray, affordable family haulers.

Presumably the Mustang (only?) 5.0 will be a much more an **** hauler than kid hauler, so applying the Duratec lessons and tech and turning the wick up a touch ought to get them to 400hp without pushing any envelopes. Heckfire, BMW and Audi are pushing 420hp or so with little pantywaist 4 liters, and Ferrari and Lambo around 500+hp out of 4.3 and 5 liters to stake out the bleeding edge today.

Last edited by rhumb; 4/22/08 at 10:49 AM.
Old 4/22/08, 10:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wasn't the IS-F just in one of the major car mags comparison with the M3?
Old 4/22/08, 11:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ScottyBoy302
First question: the M3, RS4, and C63.

Second: no comment.
Yeah true, it does seem like they are tackling the high performance luxury sedan segment. I have to say I am fairly impressed with the results. I was at the movies this weekend with my girlfriend and before the previews there were 3-4 commercials boasting the IS-F.

Originally Posted by rhumb
As for any lessons for the upcoming Ford 5.0, the Lexus motor, done with help from Yamaha, goes to show the the 400hp level is readily attainable with current, but not bleeding edge, engine design and technology. It carries many of the contemporary level tech -- FI, DOHC, 4V, etc. -- without resorting to uber tech -- DI, forced induction, VVT -- that shows that Ford ought to be able to do the same without breaking any budgets. Ford's already achieving close to that 80hp/l specific output with their Duratec 3.5 running on 87 octane swill and sticking them in all manner of dray, affordable family haulers.

Presumably the Mustang (only?) 5.0 will be a much more an **** hauler than kid hauler, so applying the Duratec lessons and tech and turning the wick up a touch ought to get them to 400hp without pushing any envelopes. Heckfire, BMW and Audi are pushing 420hp or so with little pantywaist 4 liters, and Ferrari and Lambo around 500+hp out of 4.3 and 5 liters to stake out the bleeding edge today.

My thoughts exactly, this is why it caught my attention, because Toyota is doing with a 5.0 what we are all craving for the next 5.0, and they did it without FI or any fancy technology (that I can see). On the flip side of that though, its got a pretty high compression ratio, like most other high performance, small V8s and large V6s I've seen from japanese automakers. So i'm sure they are squeezing the hell out of the engine, but its still rather impressive, and makes me even more curious as to what Ford has under their sleeve for the supposed upcoming 5.0L
Old 4/22/08, 11:48 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

What in the HELL inspired Lexus to make such a beast
Actually, Lexus never wanted to make it. The IS-F project head basically bullied it through their approval process by using all his in-company political capital. Now, of course, they love it because its good press, but like many good cars it started out without a lot of friends.
and
Nothing officially official, but 400hp and 360 ftq on regular gas, as opposed to the IS-F's super premium.
Old 4/23/08, 05:14 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No question the IS-F is impressive technologically - Toyota has always been good at that when they set their minds to it - the problem is that you still have to be seen in it...and it really does look like a pumped up Corolla. It's a pretty forgettable design when it goes by on the road.

My buddy has an IS350, and it's a beautifully made car with terrific acceleration (probably as quick, or even a shade quicker, than my Mustang PRIOR to having my tune done), but the steering is numb and the car lacks any real personality or soul.