General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

SLP says it is developing new GNX and Grand National Buicks

Search this Thread

Old 3/2/12, 06:06 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLP says it is developing new GNX and Grand National Buicks

As you might remember, we were left unfulfilled by the 2012 Buick Regal GS. Buick just didn't go far enough, in our estimation, which is why when we read about the possibility of a tuner version of the GS from SLP Performance Parts on Inside Line, we got on the phone posthaste.

SLP is best known for building the Firehawk and SS versions of fourth-generation F-body Pontiac Firebirds and Chevrolet Camaros for General Motors, and owning the "ZL" trademark that both it and GM have used on the current-gen Camaro. But the company is also the rights holder of fabled Buick monikers "Grand National" and "GNX," names that it intends to put back into play.

An SLP spokesman confirmed the report that a 300-plus-horsepower Buick GNX based on the GS is in development, saying that it should have a final mock-up based on the above sketch by the middle of this month. But SLP also told us that it has plans to revive the Grand National name, which would presumably fall somewhere between the GS and the GNX on the performance scale.

But before we get too lathered up about this, remember that SLP has dipped its toes in the performance Buick game before, with middling results. The company rolled out a Buick GSX back in the early part of last decade, based on the supercharged, 3800 V6-powered Regal GS. This dealer-installed kit was a good idea applied to the wrong car, as the front-drive, fourth-generation Regal just wasn't enough of a performance machine out of the box to bother with.

The current GS, on the other hand, offers a much more intriguing proposition for a little bit of aftermarket improvement. As long as SLP does the full-blackout treatment that was a hallmark of the original GNX, we'd be willing to take it for a spin.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/02/s...tional-buicks/
Old 3/5/12, 06:38 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I like where this is going
Old 3/6/12, 09:01 AM

I'm not sure why Buick isn't just bringing over their already developed TTV6 version from Opal Insignia OPC, seems like a 2013 Buick GNX no-brainer to me. They have a schweet wagon version too, for those that need to haul while hauling azz.
Old 3/6/12, 10:39 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think Rhumb is onto something with the TTV6 as the combination of all wheel drive and a pumped version of that six could make for a very interesting sport sedan, possibly even a worthy GNX. Unfortunately, since this is a tuner package done by SLP and not by GM that means we'll get a tweaked turbo four and front wheel drive. I'm just not certain how you can call a 300 odd horsepower Regal a GNX with a straight face? Truly the GNX was 'an axe wielding barbarian', this sounds more like your well-dressed preppie neighbor holding a hatchet.

Last edited by jsaylor; 3/6/12 at 08:48 PM.
Old 3/6/12, 03:52 PM

Truly the GNX was 'an axe wielding barbarian', this sounds more like your well-dressed preppie neighbor holding a hatchet.
Perhaps true. The orginal GNX was certainly a typical musclecar in that it was primarily a hairy-knuckled straight line bomber, even if its turbo V6 was a bit out of the big-block norm.

That said, I think a neo GNX based off the Opal would make a perfect GNX for today's very different world/GM/Buick and would go up against Audi S4s or Bimmer 335is, or even the Ford Taurus SHO and Chrysler 300 (V8 models). It would certainly bring some soul and spark onto the Buick showrooms, which are plying very capable and competent cars of late, but nothing to truly get the blood going. And, as mentioned, the bulk of the design and engineering have already been done so certifying it here ought not to be that hard of a task.
Old 3/6/12, 04:12 PM
Bullitt Member

As much as i would like to see Buick bring back the GNX, there is nothing that will ever replace the original GN and GNX. Thats why i will never get rid of my GN.
Old 3/6/12, 05:31 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011GB/CS
As much as i would like to see Buick bring back the GNX, there is nothing that will ever replace the original GN and GNX. Thats why i will never get rid of my GN.
That being stated (and I concure), I thought an all black Buick version of the G8 would have made for a nice GNX.
Old 3/6/12, 06:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
That being stated (and I concure), I thought an all black Buick version of the G8 would have made for a nice GNX.
I agree, there was a version of the G8 that was built that was pretty impressive. I believe it was the GXP!
Old 3/6/12, 07:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

I love the 80's GNX. I'd love to have one one day, or even a regal t-type.

But anyway, I just don't know how they're going to make a modern day "GNX" that's any good. The production GS right now has 270 horsepower, so the GNX has to have over 300 to be worth it. And 300 HP + heavy FWD car just doesn't work. I know the suspension is supposed to be good in these cars, but still.

Like others have said, they should just bring the AWD V6 opel over and call it the GNX straight from GM, rather than an aftermarket thing.
Old 3/6/12, 07:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have long thought the Holden G60 concept with the LS9 V-8 and a mild Buick restyle would have made for a fantastic GNX.
Old 3/6/12, 08:18 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I always liked the one that Hurst did.

Old 3/6/12, 09:27 PM
GT Member

Pics?
Old 3/8/12, 01:17 PM
FR500 Member

Fail Wheel Drive and Grand National/GNX monikers should not be under consideration. If based on a transverse boosted 4 or 6 cyl., rear-biased AWD please.
Old 3/9/12, 08:19 AM

I think the Opal Insignia OPC meets those criteria: turbo V6, AWD, presumably a sporty f/r bias. Buick ought to just get serious and bring that thing over.
Old 3/9/12, 09:20 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I'm actually against Insignia OPC as Grand National GNX.
I think that the car that has a Grand National GNX badge must be a RWD, must have a better turbo engine (2.8L from Insignia OPC - isn't that Saab's engine?) and must look a lot more mean and powerfull than this ...

Old 3/10/12, 03:03 PM
FR500 Member

Too bad GM doesn't have the rights to the GN/GNX name. The current Buick Regal chassis from GM is all SLP has to work with. Otherwise, the forthcoming ATS/Camaro platform would be a far better choice for a RWD Buick with sporting intentions.
Old 3/24/12, 04:00 PM

meh.
Old 3/27/12, 04:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Jrpalmer
Pics?
Here ya go!
Attached Thumbnails SLP says it is developing new GNX and Grand National Buicks-gnpic1.jpg  
Old 3/27/12, 09:36 PM
GT Member

Here ya go!
Awesome! Sweet ride man. Looks like she is well taken care of!
Old 3/28/12, 02:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Jrpalmer
Awesome! Sweet ride man. Looks like she is well taken care of!
Thanks man, yeah she's not to shabby for almost 114,000 miles. Everything still works too, the power windows, locks, and antenna. Hope to have it for many more years.

Quick Reply: SLP says it is developing new GNX and Grand National Buicks