General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Report: Pontiac G8 will spawn wagon, sport truck

Search this Thread

Old 11/19/07 | 05:30 PM
Cobra Member

yes the SSR is the closest thing to an 'elCamino, and look at how well they sold
Old 11/19/07 | 06:36 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by RCSignals
yes the SSR is the closest thing to an 'elCamino, and look at how well they sold
Yeah over the 4 model year span it was 24150, 24112 to the public.

Never was meant as a volume vehicle and personally I didn't like the
bulgy retro look.

They had a 311 day supply on dealers lots at the end in 2006. They were priced too high for the market that was interested in them and they weren't very practical. 41K base price was a bit much for something that sat on the Trailblazer platform.

The recent GTO, a rebadged Holden, sold a total of 40,808 for it's entire production. Yet another niche car that just couldn't make the numbers GM wanted which in this case were on the order of 18,000 per year.

If volume is the only measure of success then nothing that "breaks the mold" will ever be successful as it usually takes more than a few model years to grow a market segment. Detroit is impatient and scared to death of imports grabbing more market share so if something doesn't instantly succeed it's going to be gone in short order. You can be sure if the new Camaro doesn't sell at least 75K units a year it'll be gone too. It's being positioned as a volume product as evidenced by the 3 trim levels and 3 different engine offerings, much like the Mustang.

Old 11/20/07 | 03:44 AM
Closet American

Everyone raved about the idea of a GTO based ona RWD Australian platform, but it didn't translate to sales when time came for the same people to open their wallets instead of their mouths.

Will the G8 variants be a different case?
The GTO looked like an ugly jellybean with '80s exterior styling cues. That's the primary reason it failed. Everyone was making fun of the look of the thing right from the get.

G8 will be a different story.
Old 11/20/07 | 03:48 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by TomServo92
Because "station wagon" brings up visions of mom and pop loading up the brood for a cross country trip to Wallyworld....

Shhhhh. We have visitors from Wallyworld around here.

Old 11/21/07 | 12:25 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
Shhhhh. We have visitors from Wallyworld around here.

Whaa??

...I don't get it....
Old 11/21/07 | 12:27 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by elcaminoguy
Whaa??

...I don't get it....
That's OK. Inside joke.
Old 11/21/07 | 09:16 PM
FR500 Member

Ford, build Interceptor. Now.
Old 11/22/07 | 10:50 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

I doubt we will see LS7 of anything other than the current Z06, GM is going the FI route, then again the LS7 will probalby be made obsolete by the next gen LS engines coming out with direct injection, IIRC they have 450+hp 6.3 liter engines in the works. The legacy of the LS7 are its cylinderheads.

I wanted to reply to Rhumb's bit about 454 powered El Caminos, but for some reason I can't cut&paste on this forum???????

On the subject of a G8 wagon though, I could totaly dig that, I don't care for trucks beyond towing/hauling large loads and I wouldn't be caught dead in a mini-van, but a G8 wagon would be an awesome grocery getter!
Old 11/23/07 | 08:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Why your last comment? Does everyone forget the Ranchero, which predates the El Camino? Another Ford GM followed into the market.
I meant as a GM label not the class segment. An El camino needs to be Chevy or GMC not pontiac, that would be a first to rebirth a nameplate under a different brand.

A little interjection here. Neither the GTO nor the SSR was going to be a long term program. The SSR edned abruptly but only ended 1 year earlier than was expected its price and ADM did more damage than anything on its behalf. The GTO was a 3 year program that ran 3 years. Period. It is not gone because "it failed", it is gone because the contract signed by GM North America was a 3 model year run. Did it live up to sales expectations? No but it ran it's full course. Sure GM planned to sell 18K a year but with a plant that at max capacity could make 18K a year some of which sold in the UK and some in AU they sold all the made, just not all under a GTO badge. If it sold like hotcakes GM "might have renewed but I doubt it given the press releases that came out promising a 3 year run and a reintroduction/design at a later date.

There actually is a 427 G8 out there 50 cent had it built. That would be a fun 4 door. But as bob stated the LS7 is on the way out. One of the main reasons it didn't recieve any power bumps this year. It will be bye bye as the move to FI and the new generation of engines is being ramped up. Plus production costs on the FI engines are actually cheaper than the LS7. It would be very easy to up the HP in a G8 as it is almost identical to a 400 HP LS2 except for the one fact, It's tuned for 87 octane and has better heads. 400+ would be easy for this engine with bolt-ons and a 91 octane tune.
Old 11/26/07 | 11:10 AM

Exhibit #29 as to why the Aussies are making the coolest "American" cars on the planet today:

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...pageNumber=1#3

While American makers are mired in some wistful, backwards-gazing, our-best-days-are-behind-us Retro style to try to infuse their products with something resembling soul, the Aussies are making fully modern iterations of any number of American car idioms. Just how cool to be hazing the tires out of Home Depot garden center with a load of mulch for honey's Hosta patch to make it home in time for kickoff? This thing has as much utility as about 93% of pickup truck owners actually use or need coupled with the acceleration of a Stang but with a more advanced suspension and nicer interior.

IMO, Pontiac's sitting on a gold mine with their upcoming G8 series of vehicles. Can't wait to see their inevitable GXR versions, or whatever Pontiac calls their hotted-up models, and the GTO coupe variant. Plunk a stonking LS7 (or its successor) into the engine bay of this uber-ute and you'll really see some board feet of lumber setting record times to Saturday home-reno projects around America.

Wives will let their guys buy these things as they'll be looking for any excuses to haul...

"Sweetie-dumpling, could you pick up some edging and potting soil during half time?"

"No problem, baby, be back in 15 minutes for the second half kick off."

"But the garden center is 9 miles each way, sweet'ums."

"Umm, yup."
Old 11/26/07 | 12:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

I hope they are right. I'd love to see that thing over here. I wouldn't change a **** thing about it too. Am still surprised to see a pontiac on it but never the less I like it. **** and I told the wife the New Camaro will be my last "new" car. Looks like I'll just have to build a bigger garage .
Old 11/26/07 | 02:16 PM

Heck, this thing will practically be a Camaro, under the skin at least, that you can carry your mower, power washer and a keg in -- for when you're done with the former two items.
Old 11/29/07 | 09:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

True but I can't have one or the other I have to have both