General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Reincarnated Cobra 427

Search this Thread

Old 11/16/07, 05:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Reincarnated Cobra 427

2007 Racer X Design KC427 Concept

A modern interpretation of the legendary Cobra 427, as seen by the Maltese designers at Racer X Design. This is the first time that Racer X Design is showing the sketches of the KC-427 to the public.

Designed to evoke the emotions of the classic cobra, the KC-427 concept captures the beautiful design of the original while adding a more brutal new age twist. The design is dramatic, modern yet with the same lines that made the original an icon, the KC does not try to hide the fact that its insight comes from the 60’s. It looks ready to chew the tarmac even in design phase.

The small dimensions together with a space frame chassis consent to build a car that weighs less than a ton, even with a 7.0L V8 motor as found on the new Corvette Z06. The result would be a car that has a power to weight ratio of around 550 bhp/ton.

The Concept car will be completed within a year, expect it to be a hit. A relatively small Company that builds one off cars for the single enthusiast, the Racer X design team is already known for both the GTV Evoluzione and the RCX, both of which won several awards both in design and construction.

This is also the first time that instead of building a one off, twenty KC-427’s are intended to be sold internationally. “We will start collecting information on who might be interested in this car. The first twenty people who show interest will be offered the opportunity to purchase the KC once the cars are ready and be updated regularly with the progress” said Reuben Zammit – Director and Head of design of Racer X.

If you are interested, contact Reuben on reuben@racerxdesign.com
Old 11/16/07, 05:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Inspirations?

Old 11/16/07, 05:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's okay, but it isn't exactly original even as a Cobra update. One kit car company that I know of has already created a potential 'new age' Cobra with much the same theme including swept back headlights and even I posted a very rough sketch that did much the same some time ago in the Auto Art section.

That said these guys are likely to run into serious legal trouble here in the states since that body likely contains too much resemblence to the shape of the original Cobra, which is trademarked. And anything trying to capture the spirit of the original Cobra employing GM power is bordering on blasphemy.

Finally, any Cobra redux not conducted by the man himself is of little interest and is, to be blunt, little more than a kit car with a twist.
Old 11/16/07, 06:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
not a fan of the headlights....look like they came off a VW bug.
Old 11/17/07, 07:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd drive the wheels off that thing! And not because of the Z06 engine either I dont car which engine give me this with 500 HP+ (a la GT or GT500 motor) and I'm good.
Old 11/17/07, 08:57 AM
bt4
Bullitt Member

I much prefer the cobra concept. The cobra concept looks much cleaner than the KC-427. And the Ford 605-hp V10 they stuffed under the hood looked to be a real screamer.
Attached Thumbnails Reincarnated Cobra 427-cobra_2.jpg  
Old 11/17/07, 09:15 AM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I saw this yersterday and immediately thought it was 100% better than the cobra concept. the only thing that bugs me a bit is the wide sills. Other than that it's great looking.
Although for some reason I see Shelby mobilizing his legal team as we speak.

My only hope is it doesn't suffer from conceptitis and end up looking way better in the render than real life like all concepts do
Old 11/17/07, 12:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by burningman
I saw this yersterday and immediately thought it was 100% better than the cobra concept. the only thing that bugs me a bit is the wide sills. Other than that it's great looking.
Although for some reason I see Shelby mobilizing his legal team as we speak.
I agree that it is a very good looking car. But frankly, in this instance, Shelby needs to mobilize his legal team. Kit cars are one thing but this is pushing it.
Old 11/17/07, 01:16 PM
Cam Tease

Why? Shelby didn't pen the AC Cobra...
Old 11/17/07, 01:20 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

and why is it pushing it?
I don't want to go into a leagel discussion but he's already lost the cobra shape battle http://www.factoryfive.com/table/wha...rt/ruling.html
So he really can't do much about this car as long as it stears clear of name and logos of ford and shelby.
Unless I'm mistaken anyone can make a Cobra shaped car and shelby can't touch them.
Of course that wont stop him from trying
Old 11/17/07, 02:14 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
They should use the Ford V10

Looks great though, far better looking than the Cobra Concept
Old 11/17/07, 04:37 PM
Cobra Member

I would take that over the GR1 any day of the week. Looks twice as good, and the LS7 power sure doesnt hurt either. TT that beast!
Old 11/17/07, 05:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by AnotherMustangMan
Why? Shelby didn't pen the AC Cobra...
First, if we are getting this particular, Cobra's aren't actually AC branded vehicles, they are a Shelby American product wearing a VIN number that states exactly that. The above said, I'm well aware that John Tojeiro's original design and the evolution that it went through to become the AC Ace and, eventually, the Shelby Cobra. And AC deserves every bit as much credit for what the Cobra, 289 and 427, did as does Shelby.

However, there are a couple of points worth mentioning here. First, the 427 Cobra this car so obviously apes was indeed penned by Shelby's crew and not Auto Carrier. The 427 was obviously an evolution of the earlier Ace based cars cars stylistically, but nothing of the body carried over intact. This may sound like splitting hairs here but the reality is that the Cobra had more Shelby, and Ford for that matter, engineering in it by the time the 427 models rolled around than AC content and Shelby was actually working with AC to develop the orignalk theme car into what the 427 model would become. These guys are just hacks, showing up and cranking out what is effectively a high end knock off. If that pleases them and it passes the legality test more power to them. But it wont change the fact that this is in poor taste IMO.

Originally Posted by Burningman
and why is it pushing it?
I don't want to go into a leagel discussion but he's already lost the cobra shape battle http://www.factoryfive.com/table/wha...rt/ruling.html
So he really can't do much about this car as long as it stears clear of name and logos of ford and shelby.
Unless I'm mistaken anyone can make a Cobra shaped car and shelby can't touch them.
Of course that wont stop him from trying
The above creates a precedent for kit car manufacturers intent on creating replicas of the original (Shelby's case was obviously hurt to great extent by the fact that he didn't act much earlier than he did) not manufacturers intent on making a new production model car which looks like a 427 Cobra with a body kit. To some here that may sound like splitting hairs but legally speaking it makes for an entirely different animal.

If the resemblence wasn't so striking it probably wouldn't pose as serious a problem but I would bet Shelby has a decent shot of carrying the day with this one. Also, while I don't think that Shelby should have fought the replica fight in the manner that he did this one would bother even me, and IMO if he can stick it to these guys he should. If AC were still around in any meaningful way I would like to see them do the same.

But to be blunt I would rather see Shelby resolve this outside of the court system. He could simply build a proper new age Cobra which is a suitable update of the original (read: nothing like the Cobra concept) with big block Ford power and that would accomplish far more and with far less fuss. And I suppose If his car means as much to him as he says that it does he'll do just that.

Ultimately we are likely debating an issue that wont ever see the light of day anyway. More often than not small super-car efforts like this one never actually make it into any meaningful level of production. We'll have to wait and see if this one beats the odds.
Old 11/17/07, 05:58 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Ahh you are obviously a Fan so i wont go into this much more.
I have my doubts about Shelby being able to do anything about this and I'm sure they are aware of any and all rocky roads that people have gone down with shelby.
But I don't want to drag this any further off topic.

Back on topic..that care is beautiful and I wish I had come up with it..color me jealous
Old 11/17/07, 06:45 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I like it WAY better than the Ford version, I was never nuts about that exercise. Great engine, but the design itself..ahh.

Now, as for putting GM power under the hood....
Old 11/17/07, 07:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
I like it!
Old 11/17/07, 08:45 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Very nice. The comically small rear diffuser and gigantic gills are a bit much, but otherwise looks great.
Old 11/18/07, 01:32 AM
FR500 Member

combine the best elements of both the Ford concept, this one, and throw in that experimental motor in the Roush drag car - then start talking production.
Old 11/18/07, 05:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

I like this rendition better than the ford one too, probably because to me it looks closer to the original than the ford one. I'd also rather see a V8 instead of the V-10. with body lines like that and a V-10 its too close to a viper. Use a BBF or one of the blown 500 hp motors (my personal preference here) and have at it.
Old 11/18/07, 06:56 AM
Cobra Member

looks pretty good.
but i tihnk its kinda pointless. only the super rich that dont even know what they are buying could prob afford one, and the way gas is becoming i think i'll take my gt over it.

and those wheels are ugly

Quick Reply: Reincarnated Cobra 427