General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Radar detector

Search this Thread

Old 11/22/04, 12:45 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is everyone's experience with radar detectors. I see where a few are strongly recommended ie Valentine one and Passport 8500.

Experience with hardwire? Effectiveness? Cost? What places put these in - - I do not want a cosmetic mess on my hands.
Old 11/22/04, 01:08 PM
Cobra Member

I use the clip on my Passport on the back of the passenger's visor. This makes it harder for potential thieves and law enforcement to see. I use a piece of foam to keep the visor level. I haven't tried it in the new Mustang, but hopefully with the thinner visors, it will still work ok. I use the passenger's side because I don't want it in my face.

I always hard-wire them into a switched source like the radio fuse.

I'm sure both detectors are great quality but I have no issues with my Passport. There is still no better defense than keeping a good eye out for speed traps. If they're triggering the guns you're going to get caught.
Old 11/22/04, 01:09 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got the Passport 8500 X50.....IT'S AWESOME!!!

I just ordered the direct wire kit with the smart cord and was wondering the same thing......how should I install this thing? Which 12V wire should I splicce into?
Old 11/22/04, 05:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

I also have the Passport 8500 X50. It is attached using the suction cups, tucked up to the rear view mirror. It has a clear shot to the road ahead, and has marginal visibility for the rear laser port. Someday I might tuck the wiring into the headliner, then it would be pretty hard to see the unit from the rear or side of the car. Then, if I had the time and skills, I would like to install the SmartCode electronic unit into the vertical dash panel to the left of the stereo - or maybe into the dome light unit. That would be slick. For now I don't mind the coiled cord hanging down. It conveniently plugs into the power outlet in the dash, and the remote silence feature at the power plug in is a very easy reach from the wheel.
Old 11/22/04, 06:05 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an old Passport, and what I did was use the center PP in the dash, and snaked the non-coiled line along the meet edges in the dash, all the way down and under the dash. The detector itself has been planted right on the dash with double stick tape right above the headlight switch. Off to the side where it's out of sight and non-obtrusive. Works just great and if I need to get it out quickly for some reason, it can be done without too much difficulty.
Old 11/22/04, 06:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

I was wondering, how hard would it be to wire the detector into the dome light unit ? Only problem is that I'm not sure how to remove that cover. Anyone have any idea if that thing just snaps into place ?
Old 11/22/04, 06:49 PM

"...and has marginal visibility for the rear laser port."

Ill let you in on a little secret. You need to keep the laser port closer to the front bumper, (lower in the glass), as you can. The average laser is about 3' wide at 1000 yards, so think of it like at over a half mile the thing is only three feet wide. The trick is that you have to aim at a reflective surface for a reading so we are trained to aim at front bumpers, front tags, and headlights. So the colser to those items you go the better. The nice thing is that most patol officers dont have them due to expense (at least in my area). Also like it was said before, if the radar is activated by trigger, it means a bad day may be coming, although the more sensitive detectors will detect cast off and reflection from a greater distance. I know my handheld is good for as far as I can see straight on. I can bounce it off my mirrors and get really good distance from behind, long before you see me

Just want to see my mustang buddies stay out of big tix.......
Old 11/22/04, 07:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by garyr2548@November 22, 2004, 8:52 PM

Ill let you in on a little secret. You need to keep the laser port closer to the front bumper, (lower in the glass), as you can. The average laser is about 3' wide at 1000 yards, so think of it like at over a half mile the thing is only three feet wide. The trick is that you have to aim at a reflective surface for a reading so we are trained to aim at front bumpers, front tags, and headlights. So the colser to those items you go the better. The nice thing is that most patol officers dont have them due to expense (at least in my area). Also like it was said before, if the radar is activated by trigger, it means a bad day may be coming, although the more sensitive detectors will detect cast off and reflection from a greater distance. I know my handheld is good for as far as I can see straight on. I can bounce it off my mirrors and get really good distance from behind, long before you see me

Down she goes ... heheh.. Thanks so much for your tip and explanation. I am going to lower the device. I did not know how lasers worked. I am confused over the last part though - about how you can bounce it off your mirrors and get good distance from behind. Do you bounce the beam off of special mirrors in your car and get readings on cars in front of you ?

Thanks again B)
Old 11/22/04, 07:16 PM

Originally posted by os121+November 22, 2004, 8:04 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (os121 @ November 22, 2004, 8:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-garyr2548@November 22, 2004, 8:52 PM

Down she goes ... heheh.. Thanks so much for your tip and explanation. I am going to lower the device. I did not know how lasers worked. I am confused over the last part though - about how you can bounce it off your mirrors and get good distance from behind. Do you bounce the beam off of special mirrors in your car and get readings on cars in front of you ?

Thanks again B)[/b][/quote]
Ok, I guess is was a bit cryptic so here you go.

I can face one direction and get cars in front of me either going away or coming towards me.

or

I can bounce the radar off of my side mirrors or my rear view (although not as good for distance) and get what is coming up from behind me or what has passed me.

Also I have found road signs that I can reflect off of even a plastic panel fence that at the correct angle I can get cars around a curve. Now I would never use those two for a tix cause I cant see the cars but I find it interesting that it reflects off of a fence.

But the laser is definately awsome. Ive only been trained how to use, not had the ability to have one to use, they are too expensive for our agency and we only have a few for our traffic cops. It is stationary only b/c you have to aim using a sight at the target. So you really can be picked out of a pack of cars with no problem. The coolest part is it give a distance to target that counts down as the target gets closer or vice versa. But the important thing to remember is if the laser does not hit the sensor, you detector will sit there quiet.

Just food for thought.
Old 11/22/04, 08:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

garyr2548 - thank you for explaining. That is so amazing that the beam can be bounced off of stationary reflective objects and still get good readings ... YIKES ! Technology is certainly incredible. Are you installing a detector in your car ? Just curious as to what you think is a good detector.
Old 11/22/04, 09:00 PM

Originally posted by os121@November 22, 2004, 9:08 PM
garyr2548 - thank you for explaining. That is so amazing that the beam can be bounced off of stationary reflective objects and still get good readings ... YIKES ! Technology is certainly incredible. Are you installing a detector in your car ? Just curious as to what you think is a good detector.
Nah, not putting one in, I get all my fast driving out in my patrol car, for those situations where I might get stopped, I've got the "Tin star pass!" But that does not always work, especially if you street race, which I HATE! So I know when and where to go if I want to have fun. Otherwise, I keep it under control.
Old 11/23/04, 08:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 123 Likes on 90 Posts
Gary, I am sure I speak for all us of when I say thanks for the courtesy you have extended to us here.

I won't be using a detector; they're illegal in Virginia. But like you said, it is wise to know where to go if you want to have fun. And the street is not the place - for me anyway.

Others may elect to have some roadway adventures; that is their business.

Thanks again for your posts, and welcome to the forums!
Old 11/23/04, 09:31 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by garyr2548+November 22, 2004, 10:03 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (garyr2548 @ November 22, 2004, 10:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-os121@November 22, 2004, 9:08 PM
Nah, not putting one in, I get all my fast driving out in my patrol car, for those situations where I might get stopped, I've got the "Tin star pass!" But that does not always work, especially if you street race, which I HATE! So I know when and where to go if I want to have fun. Otherwise, I keep it under control. [/b][/quote]
garyr2548 Are you city or county??? Also where in FL do you work?????
Old 11/23/04, 09:37 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it's hardwired, is it still easy to remove. It's illegal to have them displayed in the window on base.
Old 11/23/04, 09:58 AM
Cobra Member

The hardwire term only referrs to the wiring of the power cord permanently in the car, rather than just using a power source like the one on the dash. The detector is still removable in either fashion.

I don't have a Mustang yet, but I normally just mount the detector on the visor, route the power cord under the headliner, and inside the A pillar trim. It usually pops right off. The easiest source for power is to strip a little off the end of the hot wire and remove the radio fuse. Place the hot wire in the fuse holder and reinsert the fuse. The fuse won't go all the way back in. This is easier than trying to find a wire for a switched source and splicing into it. The negative terminal goes to a screw that is grounded. That's all there is to it, and the detector is out of sight of thieves and law enforcement.

I know it will work better closer to the dash, instead of on the visor, but I'm willing to give up some detection ability for a better hidden detector. It is a real pain to remove the detector from your windshield when you have to leave your car for long periods. It is a bigger pain to replace the side window in your car and the detector because a thief decides to take it.
Old 11/23/04, 05:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

Living Virginia, as previously mentioned, going to forget about them. I recall a few years ago my friend got caught speeding and with the detector and it got confiscated and he got to sit in "driving school" for a long, long time.
Old 12/5/04, 01:03 PM
FR500 Member

i had to resurrect this topic...............i need to know some suggestions and prices on some good radar detectors and some specs on them THANKS
Old 12/5/04, 01:26 PM
Cobra Member

How about those VERY expensive detectors that install inside your front and back bumpers. Those are cool. I won't be putting a detector in my car though, I'll drive mine safely.
Old 12/5/04, 01:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think the theory behind laser detection is that the laser detector is going to pick up the signals that are reflected off other things... like cars that are targeted before you come over the crest or around the bend. Just as this LEO can bounce it off a sign or a fence, in practical use they will be hitting cars before you, and sometimes it will miss the car and hit a building surface or something else.

Your unit picks up the scattered laser frequency just as it picks up scattered RADAR frequencies. It's just tougher as the scattered signal is SO much weaker.

Then again, if you are being lased already, you are likely already busted. So you really depend on the scattered signals in order to slow down on time.

NOTE: I haven't been in this game in years. I have the original Passport, which I bought in 1988, and I haven't used it in over 10 years. I wonder how much it would help me today?
Old 12/5/04, 01:54 PM
V6 Member

i have a Cobra Radad Det. in my 05, the suction cups don't hold very good on the speckled windshield behind the rear view mirror so velcro is used to attach it to the mirror. Also, I just tapped into the power supply that runs the lights near the rear view mirror. I can provide pics later on tonight as I'm at work now. Being an ex police officer I can tell ya that the best position for a detector is hagh as possible. Although a laser beam is only 3' at its widest, if your detector beeps for laser its already too late. Laser works on line of sight . Meaning the officer aims it just like a gun and shoots the laser at the individual car being targeted. Thats why their so reliable in court, you can't say it was the guy next to me because of the direct line of site aiming.

Quick Reply: Radar detector