General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Question about oil change and vehicle storage

Search this Thread

Old 7/28/12, 10:30 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about oil change and vehicle storage

Alright, so on Feb 1st I stored my '12 Boss 302 and flew to my new duty station in South Korea. On Sept 17th I fly home and will finally be reuinited with my baby. I had the oil changed at roughly 1,1xx miles back in the end of Dec I believe (It could have been early Jan, but I don't think so). After the oil change I went on to put on an additional 34xx miles to bring the total to some where around 45xx miles.

My question is, when I get home, how soon will I need to change the oil? I used For motorsport 5w-50, and I don't know if I should do it ASAP, or I can drive around for a few hundred miles with the current oil. I don't want to do any unnesesary wear and tear on this Boss motor. I'm gonna need it to perform its best in Germany on the autobah and the Nurbergring.

TL;DR. Oil will 10 months old when car is out of storage, has 34xx miles on it, how urgent should an oil change be?
Old 7/28/12, 10:40 PM

Oil Change Interval

Originally Posted by Mustangfreak
Alright, so on Feb 1st I stored my '12 Boss 302 and flew to my new duty station in South Korea. On Sept 17th I fly home and will finally be reuinited with my baby. I had the oil changed at roughly 1,1xx miles back in the end of Dec I believe (It could have been early Jan, but I don't think so). After the oil change I went on to put on an additional 34xx miles to bring the total to some where around 45xx miles.

My question is, when I get home, how soon will I need to change the oil? I used For motorsport 5w-50, and I don't know if I should do it ASAP, or I can drive around for a few hundred miles with the current oil. I don't want to do any unnesesary wear and tear on this Boss motor. I'm gonna need it to perform its best in Germany on the autobah and the Nurbergring.

TL;DR. Oil will 10 months old when car is out of storage, has 34xx miles on it, how urgent should an oil change be?
Mustangfreak,

I had this same question for my Shelby. I just missed taking delivery by 2 days when I had to come back to Afghanistan after my R&R in June. I had a friend drive it to the house for me. It only has 12.6 miles on it and it is being started up and run for 20 minutes or so every 2 weeks to keep the battery charged. I won't be home again until January so I sent an email to the Ford SVT guys and they responded that they "recommend that I follow the schedule in the owner's manual." Since the oil will be over 6 months old, I guess I'll have to change it upon my return. Seems like a waste with less than 13 miles on it, but like you, I want to take real good care of my baby.
Old 8/2/12, 05:12 AM
Cobra Member

Anyone else want to chime in?
Old 8/4/12, 02:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Your car will be fine with a 10-month old oil. Drive it normally.