General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Question about letting the car idle...

Search this Thread

Old 3/9/05 | 06:35 PM
FR500 Member

Thumbs down

A guy I know who is a mechanic told me that you should let the car idle for 5 minutes everytime you start it up before putting it in gear. He said so that the oil has time to warm up and lubricate the engine. Is this guy crazy? Is it a good idea to let it idle for maybe a minute? Or do you not need to let it idle at all?
Old 3/9/05 | 07:28 PM
Bullitt Member

05 owners manual says no idle time needed. Would all depend on what oil you're using and outside temps, carb or fuel injection, state of engine tune, etc. I know my old 73 I had to let it warm up or it would die on me, but it was in bad need of work. I just let mine warm up before I get on it, but I never let it idle before I drive it.
Old 3/10/05 | 12:03 PM
GT Member

If it's cold out, it's a good idea to let it idle for a few seconds, but five minutes is a little long.

If it's not cold, just take it easy for the first few miles, and don't rev too high.

BTW, My Blue Heaven, the reason your car would die if you didn't let it sit is partially because it needed work, but mostly because it was carbureted. The choke was probably kicking out too soon, letting the car die. I have to let my car warm up a few seconds so it doesn't stutter on me - such is the joy of the carburetor.
Old 3/10/05 | 01:20 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

With our oils that act as a low weight oil when cold we don't have to overdo it.
Old 3/10/05 | 01:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by GirchyGirchy@March 10, 2005, 1:06 PM
If it's cold out, it's a good idea to let it idle for a few seconds, but five minutes is a little long.

If it's not cold, just take it easy for the first few miles, and don't rev too high.

BTW, My Blue Heaven, the reason your car would die if you didn't let it sit is partially because it needed work, but mostly because it was carbureted. The choke was probably kicking out too soon, letting the car die. I have to let my car warm up a few seconds so it doesn't stutter on me - such is the joy of the carburetor.
That's what I've always heard. The fastest way to warm an engine up is to drive it, just take it easy and be gentle until up to operating temp.
Old 3/12/05 | 11:17 AM
I Have Admin Envy

What I usually do in these parts when it gets really cold is I don't put the car in gear until the car drops from its "fast idle" (usually 30 seconds or so). The oil has a chance to get to all the critical parts by then. I try not to mat the gas on any of my cars for the first few minutes just to be sure the engine is up to temp.