General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Proper Engine Break-In With Summit Racing

Search this Thread

Old 2/3/16, 02:29 PM
TMS Staff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Proper Engine Break-In With Summit Racing

Summit Racing takes you through the process of your typical crate engine break-in, without, well, breaking it.

Read the rest on the Mustang Source homepage. >>
Old 2/3/16, 07:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
t’s one of the most crucial things you need to do after putting your crate engine together and dropping it into your Mustang. You need to break it in.

Every engine, whether it’s factory new or a fresh rebuild, needs to be broken in before you take it down the track or even down the street. The metals are fresh and need to get a tiny bit of wear so that your engine is properly sized. Sounds odd when you consider that we measure these parts before we install them, but the metals in your engine will expand and contract until they roughly settle into their stabilized size. That is the reason why you must break your engine in before entering its service life.

While there are some more interesting theories on how to break in your engine, in the video below, Summit Racing takes you through the process of your typical crate engine break-in, without, well, breaking it.
Old 2/3/16, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can understand properly breaking in new crate engines. However, last March when my girlfriend bought her 2015 Ecoboost Mustang, I asked the salesman if there was a break-in period for these engines. He said "The factory runs them and breaks them in before the activate the odometer."

Is this true? Or is he full of _____?

Thanks!!