General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Preparing car for long term storage (years)

Search this Thread

Old 3/4/06, 11:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Hi,

I am getting ready to long term store my 1969 Mustang Coupe. It will probably be sitting for many years (up to 20 perhaps). It is currently in very good condition, everything working perfectly and no leaks. So, what do I need to do to prepare for long term storage so when I get around to bringing it back to regular duty that it won't be all messed up?

The car is.. 302-2v, C4, A/C, P/S, open diff, drum brakes

My current plan is to...

1. Store the car inside a car bag http://www.carbag.com
2. Remove the wheels and place vehicle on jack stands
3. Use desiccant inside the vehicle and outside the vehicle but inside the car bag
4. Make sure fuel tank is empty and then run engine out of gas
5. Remove battery
6. Remove spark plugs and fill cylinders with oil and then reinsert the plugs just snug
7. Drain windshield washer fluid reservoir

Should I...

1. Drain radiator fluid or just top it off completely?
2. Remove/loosen engine accessory belts?

I'd appreciate any and all constructive advice.

Thanks,
Chad
Old 3/5/06, 11:59 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why are you planing to store your car for so long?
Old 3/5/06, 10:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Red Star @ March 5, 2006, 11:02 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Why are you planing to store your car for so long?
[/b][/quote]

Currenty I have a three car garage with two daily drivers and the mustang in the 3rd slot. I want to get either a 2008 or 2009 Mustang GT so I will be needing room in the garage (I was going to store the 69 in a metal shop building off site that my family owns). At first I was going to sell the 69 but then had a change of heart. I am the second owner and have owned it since 1989.

I think I put about 50 miles on the Mustang last year. I only drive it in nice weather and now that I have small kids that need a carseat, it makes it hard to take the car out. So my thought was to just to prep it for long term storage in the hopes that that is less harmful on the car than driving it like 2 times a year.

Any opinions on this are welcome!
Old 3/8/06, 07:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thats a long time, I have heard that to prevent anything from crawling into your exhaust pipes, but still allow air flow is to pack them with steel wool. Good question on the radiator, I would imagine that if you decide to keep it full of coolant, make sure its new and fresh, same with your brake fluid. every other year the brake fluid should be replaced as it will absorb moisture. Do your best to keep the car in a dry moisture free area too. I have never seen a car stored 20 plus years, so some of these items I mentioned might not be good enough for that period of time without maintenance.
Old 3/8/06, 08:38 AM
I Have Admin Envy

A few considerations:

- Brake fluid can be switched to silicone instead of glycol.

- For a time period this long, I don't know what is best for the fuel system. If run completely dry, all the seals will dry out and become useless, the fuel pump diaphargm will be toast. Fuel stabilizer only helps the life of the fuel to be about a year.

- I would consider fogging the engine with an oil mist (they are available for engine stroage). You do not want your engine to seize.
Old 3/8/06, 10:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ahhh. I am freaking out. I have two people that want to buy the car from me right now. I don't know if I sell it if I will end up regretting it. What I need is a fourth stall in the garage! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img] Too many toys and not enough space.

I am going to have to do a lot of soul searching on this one.

Thanks for the good replies to my question regarding storage!!