Old 6/21/08 | 12:45 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

the reverse lights look like an after thought
Old 6/21/08 | 12:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by burningman
Agreed. I also think that the tail lights would look better had they gone with a setup more like that employed on the C6 design......the existing units look like red tinted sunglass lenses. I'm also not a fan of the spoiler design. That said, the side marker lights on the front fender are cleanly executed, and the overall profile is nicely done as well. Even better, the car doesn't look quite as big as it actually is. Still, optical slight of hand aside I think it's just a bit too big at best and noticeably so at worst.

As an aside, an aspiring aftermarket company could likely do quite well making replacement front clips which give the car a new age 69 Trans Am vibe in place of the existing new age 69 Camaro vibe. Of course new rear rail lights and a new rear bumper cover would be required as well. And after giving it some thought, those squircle-esque circle tail lights mean that a new age take on the 70 Chevelle could be doable as well, and without the need for a new look out back..

Last edited by jsaylor; 6/21/08 at 01:02 PM.
Old 6/21/08 | 01:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I like it. But, no where near as much as a Mustang!
Old 6/21/08 | 02:31 PM
Number Cruncher

Meh...
The concept didn't thrill me, and nothing I've seen since has changed my opinion.
Gotta agree on the tail lights though.
Those suckers do look like red tinted sunglasses.
Old 6/21/08 | 03:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Lennyb44
Meh...
The concept didn't thrill me, and nothing I've seen since has changed my opinion.
Gotta agree on the tail lights though.
Those suckers do look like red tinted sunglasses.
I agree.
Old 6/21/08 | 05:27 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

While an improvement over the prototype lights, these aren't all that great looking front and rear. The back-ups are an affront, especially since that's the worst of all possible options they had.

But the looks-only rear diffuser is the big letdown. You can argue the functionality of the GT/GT-500 diffuser, but it looks like it works. This one looks like a stick-on you'd pick up at PepBoys.
Old 6/21/08 | 06:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

it looks ridiculous, seriously.
Old 6/21/08 | 08:15 PM
Closet American

Headlights in final guise are better than those testers we saw, but not as good as the concept. Looks like they cheaped out and went from the projectors of the concept to reflectors here.

Overall, though, not bad. Infinitely superior to any other Camaro design since the late '60s.
Old 6/21/08 | 09:13 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by burningman
I agree the back-up lamps look like afterthoughts. Certainly there is a better way to integrate them such as either side of the license plate or in smoked units in the lower valance that blends in with the black. Even a row of white LED dots in the regular taillamps would be interesting and more integrated.

I saw a customer's 72 Chevelle Convertible today with the stirrup auto shifter and console. I love that shifter and it's too bad Chevy didn't bring that back instead of installing a video game joystick. The whole dash of the new Camaro looks like a 1980's boom box.

Last edited by watchdevil; 6/21/08 at 09:17 PM.
Old 6/22/08 | 08:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Almost invisible next to a Mustang or Challenger IMO.

Nothing about this this shape flows. My eyes get caught on the awkward angles, particularly in the rear. The reverse lights look like someone ran down to NAPA and glued them on, and the taper on the rear deck with the odd shaped tail lights looks really bad.

I don't see this car having any real chance from a sales standpoint. It's another GTO.
Old 6/22/08 | 09:00 AM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

I think the aftermarket should be able to come up with some pretty **** good looking parts for this thing for sure.
If the body had been a direct mimic of the concept aqnd not softend i'd be happier with the design. I am still gonna give GM a Big thumbs up for the guts to do that interior like that. I wish Mopar had done the same with the Chally.
Old 6/22/08 | 09:07 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Still ugly.
Old 6/22/08 | 11:51 AM
GT Member

I'm still not liking it. Will see when the production version bows.
Old 6/22/08 | 06:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Wow Jalopnik was quick to steal those. The biggest revelation in these pics to me is that the SS looks like it will be the mid grade given there is not much visual distinction between the others we have seen. The guy who took the pics said the interior looked complete but didn't take any pics unfortunately of that. He took more but is resizing them and will be watermarked from the original source next time. The original pic of the rear that was cropped was taken nose to nose with a 190 benz to try to guage size vs the baby benz here.

He said it is of course wider but shorter overall height. The rear SS badges were caught in the glint but are right next to the right rear tail light. The moonroof on it is quite big as well.

This selling like a GTO? Not hardly. The Camaro is known alot more than the GTO/Monaro redeux ever was (I get a daily "I never knew they brought those back"). It will not be limited by a 3 year contract nor a single "premium" model. Even though the concept has been out for a while it is still popular at every show it attends even today. It was just named the Official Vehicle of the 2010 SEMA show in Vegas. The Camaro will also be availale in the EU, Japan, Austrailia etc. Remember the Camaro Vert beat the Challenger when they were both debuted at the same show and the Camaro had already been out for several months. This from actual enthusiasts not R&T or MT journalists. Opinions here may show one thing as can be expected given this forums theme however the common populace's perspective if far different than the common view here. I have a unique position that places me in contact with over a 100 people a day and I can tell you gamut runs 5 to 1 over the Challenger in real life from all that I talk to and I talk alot about cars to many people. Will it sell the 100K target? Who knows, I bet V8 sales alone will beat the GTO sales. Speaking on opinion alone based on the reception I have recieved, the available markets, MPG numbers in a gas crunch, I seriously bet it sells as much or more as the Challenger. I know when I saw transformers when BB appeared as the new Camaro the whole theater rose. Even though the production will vary slightly from it the perception is still vivid to many and many will overlook the small differences in the two. I also bet yellow with black stripes will be the most popular color. I doubt there is any chance advertisement will be any kind of issue. You will know about the Camaro whether you want to or not.
Old 6/22/08 | 07:35 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT

Overall, though, not bad. Infinitely superior to any other Camaro design since the late '60s.
Heh, I'd have to disagree there, The 70-1/2 to 73 cars are some of the best IMO, especially the split bumper cars.
Old 6/22/08 | 07:43 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by Slims00ls1z28
This selling like a GTO? Not hardly. Will it sell the 100K target? Who knows, I bet V8 sales alone will beat the GTO sales. Speaking on opinion alone based on the reception I have recieved, the available markets, MPG numbers in a gas crunch, I seriously bet it sells as much or more as the Challenger. I doubt there is any chance advertisement will be any kind of issue. You will know about the Camaro whether you want to or not.
The Camaro will outsell the Challenger.
If it sells more than 50K units the first year without the 4 cyl. turbo it will be a miracle.
As far as the general public are concerned, both cars are DOA.
The enthusiasts will be the only interested buyers and not all of them will be able to buy.
Old 6/23/08 | 01:33 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by karman
The Camaro will outsell the Challenger.
If it sells more than 50K units the first year without the 4 cyl. turbo it will be a miracle.
As far as the general public are concerned, both cars are DOA.
The enthusiasts will be the only interested buyers and not all of them will be able to buy.
Wishing for the Camaro's failure will not necessarily make it so.

Remember, this car has one big advantage over the Mustang, marketing-wise: it's an international car, which means more sales volume than North America alone could ever hope to bring.
Old 6/23/08 | 08:41 AM
I Have No Life

hahah About the reverse lights... I said that a LONG time ago that they seemed like an afterthought.

Check this out..they were!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...?t=4699&page=8

Yep, as I've said before.... we don't like the reverse lights there either. The original location didn't work out and neither did any others. We didn't just casually stick them there thinking it'd be fine though. We tried everything and that was the only solution. I can't go thru and explain the problems with every other possible location. It was so long ago and involved so many legal, practical, engineering and styling considerations that most of it's forgotten by now. Just know that they are there because of a mistake, not a design choice and nobody's happy about it but all the complaining in the world won't help at this point
And looks like it'll have 2 roof's as well.
Inverse 'mohawk' if you don't have the moonroof.
Flat if you have the moonroof.

Last edited by Boomer; 6/23/08 at 08:46 AM.
Old 6/23/08 | 09:33 AM
GT Member

Big surprise, the Camaro will out-sell the Challenger.

Has Chevy EVER worried about competition in sales from Dodge? And I'm really surprised anyone thinks the export Camaro sales will be anything to talk about.

Quick Reply: Pre-Production Camaro SS