General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Possible 300HP V6 Camaro!?!

Search this Thread

Old 5/26/08, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible 300HP V6 Camaro!?!

Has any one else heard the rumors of GM using Cadillac's direct injected V6 to bring 300HP to the Camaro?

2010 Chevy Camaro Showing Off Best Shots Yet Of DI V6 Engine?

You may have been thinking General Motors has timed their muscle car revival all wrong, what with the 2010 Chevy Camaro coming out just as gas hits $51 per gallon. But see that's just what they want — to make driving this car an indulgence. And why wouldn't it be? Especially as it now appears that although the V8-engined 2010 Camaro SS may be getting all the attention, the V6 is going to pack quite a punch as well. These new shots from the forum fan-boys looking beyond the F-body at Camaro5 give us the clearest look yet under the hood of the six-cylinder model. But this does not appear to be your grandpa's engine.

What Is This V8 You Speak Of?

Look closely at the throttle-body size and shape and the bolts holding it on, the three fluid reservoirs in the same locations, all cues that this is indeed the glorious direct-injection V6. That means about 300 HP, the same sort of power Ford gets from the V8 Mustang GT. And look, they've even moved the battery out of the engine bay, likely mounting it in the trunk like the Pontiac G8. All in all it looks like just the thing for the indulgence-minded muscle car buyer.
[Camaro5]
Old 5/26/08, 08:32 PM
GT Member

Personally I could'nt care less what motor it has or how many HP it's pushing...That thing is just UGLY!! For the kind of money they want for that P.O.S. I would rather go buy a rusted out kakabox 67-73 camaro and fix it up the way I wanted it, The only car chevy has made since '73 I would buy is the Vette and only a few of those!!

Last edited by Boomer; 5/27/08 at 12:20 PM.
Old 5/27/08, 07:59 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thats all fine and dandy, but it is still going to be heavyer then the stang and have less torque.

And they are comparing a future model to a current model. The stang didn't need more power in 2005 without any competition.

If the 2010 stang rolls out with 210hp v6 and 300hp GT then I might be worried.

But also without knowing pricing of the car it is also impossible to judge.
Old 5/27/08, 08:43 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
The thing to remember is that this is the engine that Chevy might be able to sell in halfway decent numbers.
Right now the V8s are starting to look like collector cars, not something the general public will have any interest in.
Without a medium to high gas mileage version, these Camaros will be a low volume production model like the SSR "truck".
Old 5/28/08, 02:48 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, listen to all the negative bashing going on. Fact is, Chevy has seen the future, and it is now. They are going to give this thing some legs by putting in a high-tech DI V6 which pumps 300 HP and gets better fuel economy, and by giving the car an IRS.

No way the 2010 Mustang will be able to compete unless Ford's rumored engine choices come to pass, and even then the IRS will make the Camaro a better riding car with a less darty rear end.

As to styling, that's subjective. I don't think the production car looks as good as the concept - or as our Stangs - but we haven't seen the final, final result yet.
Old 5/28/08, 03:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
who cares if they have seen the future. Yes I will be dissapointed if the 2010 stang cannot compete power wise, however, who cares even with my current less powerful stang I would be much happier than owning that ugly POS. That car is absolutley horrid. If some rocer company was coming out with a similarly styled car it would have been bashed to bits, but since it bears the camaro name its getting all this attention from the media and all the fanboys. Bottom line is this car is taking forever to come out, so long in fact that the next stang might actually beat it out the gates, and the car is a joke when compared to that million dollar concept they had people drooling over
Old 5/28/08, 06:15 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Clark Kent
who cares if they have seen the future. Yes I will be dissapointed if the 2010 stang cannot compete power wise, however, who cares even with my current less powerful stang I would be much happier than owning that ugly POS. That car is absolutley horrid. If some rocer company was coming out with a similarly styled car it would have been bashed to bits, but since it bears the camaro name its getting all this attention from the media and all the fanboys. Bottom line is this car is taking forever to come out, so long in fact that the next stang might actually beat it out the gates, and the car is a joke when compared to that million dollar concept they had people drooling over
It's dynamically and engineering-wise superior to the current Stang in every way - and perhaps even to the next Stang. Specifically what about it is a joke, aside from your irrational and emotional reaction?
Old 5/28/08, 06:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts
Thats one fuggly car.
Old 5/28/08, 09:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
It's dynamically and engineering-wise superior to the current Stang in every way - and perhaps even to the next Stang. Specifically what about it is a joke, aside from your irrational and emotional reaction?

How the hell is my reaction irrational . I simply stated that despite the fact that the new camaro may have a more powerful and advanced engine, suspension, ect. The way the car looks in comparison to the concept and in comparioson to even our current stangs, is a joke. Do you even read what people write or just simply think that your opinion is the only one worth noting. No one is denying the fact the Camaro is advanced from an engineering stand point. However, what myself and others on here are simply stating is that the car is so **** ugly that all of that stuff gets overridden. There were others cars more advanced than the mustang at the time of its release ( not particularly in the muscle car market), but many people chose to get it based upon how good it looked. Bottomline the car is ugly and that is all I wanted to say.
Old 5/28/08, 10:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

that car is ugly i dont care how bad it can beat a mustang ill still take the mustang over it anyday. Plus we all know you can fix up a mustang cheaper than any chevy
Old 5/29/08, 02:45 AM
Closet American

The way the car looks in comparison to the concept and in comparioson to even our current stangs, is a joke.
In your opinion.

...what myself and others on here are simply stating is that the car is so **** ugly...
In your opinion.

Bottomline the car is ugly...
In your opinion.

...and that is all I wanted to say.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

Last edited by Hollywood_North GT; 5/29/08 at 02:46 AM.
Old 5/29/08, 04:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yes agreed in IMO
Old 5/29/08, 07:19 AM
GT Member

WOW, I received an infraction for comments I made in this thread, For trying to circumvent the language filters...Ahhhhh, the sweet smell of good old communist censorship, Ya just gotta love it!!!
Old 5/29/08, 07:43 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Railrider
WOW, I received an infraction for comments I made in this thread, For trying to circumvent the language filters...Ahhhhh, the sweet smell of good old communist censorship, Ya just gotta love it!!!
This is a family friendly site,
and if you READ the rules of the site, swearing or trying to swear is a no no. Please feel free to converse with an admin.

Back on topic
Old 5/29/08, 08:24 AM
Cobra Member

I think it'll be interesting to see what happens with the Camaro! I personally would never own one but to each their own... I personally don't think the new Camaro is any uglier than the Chrysler 300 (and for that matter the Scion xB) and I sure see a lot of them on the road.
Old 5/29/08, 09:06 AM
MBK
Mach 1 Member

probably be costing as much $$$ as our GTs for their sixer
Old 5/29/08, 09:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

The reaction from those who have driven the V6 cars is that it is very quick and very surprising. There were more comments about the V6 car s than the rest.
Old 5/30/08, 12:44 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Boomer
This is a family friendly site,
and if you READ the rules of the site, swearing or trying to swear is a no no. Please feel free to converse with an admin.

Back on topic
At least now we can say Dick Cheney.
Old 6/1/08, 09:18 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I'm sticking to my original prediction. 60,000 units or less for Camaro first year, and falling off after that. Possible discontinuance after 3 years.

I'm afraid to ask, but does anyone have recent months sales figures for Mustang? I guarantee the sales are in the crapper. Bringing out powerful competitors for it now with the Challenger and Camaro is simply going to dilute an even smaller pool of potential buyers. Gas pricing is going to kill this segment in the next 2 years or less. If these cars aren't changed over to 250+HP 4cyl 28 mpg+ almost immediately, we will probably see then end of this segment, perhaps entirely.

Oh, and I think the Camaro is ugly. The Challenger is nicer, but they've got an open rear on that car which I still cannot believe. You want to talk about hardware being absent in the way of IRS on the Mustang?? How about an open rear on a car with a 425HP Hemi?

Old 6/1/08, 09:40 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The sky is falling again ??

RUNNNNNNNNN

No but seriously folks....

Sales might drop but also don't forget what might happen is people who want a V8 hardcore are going to buy a v8... regardless of gas prices.
Those who are on the fence...may buy a V6, because they still want a sporty mustang, but gas prices are an issue to them....

And some people buying those other 2 competitors might not buy a mustang PERIOD but now will buy a camaro or challenger.

Sales are down, but I wouldn't say in the crapper

Quick Reply: Possible 300HP V6 Camaro!?!