General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Porsche Sues City of London

Search this Thread

Old 2/21/08 | 01:26 PM
Closet American

Porsche Sues City of London

The ecomentalist assault is getting stronger >>

Ken Livingstone, the mayor of London, has made his populous British city a very unfriendly place for motorists, and his latest plant to increase the city's congestion charge to £25 ($48.72 USD) for all gas-guzzling, carbon-spewing vehicles within the city limits has drawn the ire of Porsche. In a letter delivered to the mayor, the Stuttgart-based automaker gave Livingstone 14 days to reconsider the charge, which it considers too expensive and ineffective at reducing pollution, or else it would take the matter to the courts.

Livingstone apparently checked his mail that day, and has responded with some choice words. Accusing Porsche of imposing unnecessary pollution on Londoners, he basically compares the brand's sports cars to garbage littered on the street.

The reason Porsche is so interested in stopping Livingston's increased congestion charges is that only only two models in its current lineup, the entry-level Boxster and Caymen, are exempt from the current charge of £8 to enter a "congestion zone". Increasing the charge to £25 would no doubt tank Porsche sales in the affluent neighborhoods of London. Unfortunately, Livingstone's congestion charges have been challenged in court before and he's won each time.

Porsche UK, however, has set up a website for anyone who wishes to support its desire for a judicial review of Livingstone's plan. The automaker uses the website to lay out its argument, as well as solicit signatures for an online petition.

It looks like each side has managed to land a decent punch this round, but we're betting this fight is far from over.
Original story.
Old 2/21/08 | 02:03 PM
I Have No Life

wow, that should get pretty interesting.
Old 2/21/08 | 02:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Say goodbye to Porsche in England. Although pretty much any car is going to have a problem in London. Any of you been there? It's freakin crappy place to drive. Taxis all that way there.
Old 2/21/08 | 04:15 PM
Closet American

I've been. And frankly, you don't need a car in the city of London. The subways will take you anywhere you need to go...and the bus system is pretty amazing. For everything else, London cabs are everywhere - although the drivers are pretty crazy.

If I lived in London, I might have a car, but I wouldn't hardly use it at all in the city environs.
Old 2/21/08 | 06:42 PM
Bullitt Member

I give Porsche credit for making a case.
Old 2/23/08 | 05:37 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
I've been. And frankly, you don't need a car in the city of London. The subways will take you anywhere you need to go...and the bus system is pretty amazing. For everything else, London cabs are everywhere - although the drivers are pretty crazy.

If I lived in London, I might have a car, but I wouldn't hardly use it at all in the city environs.
I live in London and I agree with everything you say about transit. Riding the tube or the bus is just the normal thing to do if you work in the centre.

And besides, anyone who drives a Porsche or an X5 or a Bentley into central London on a regular basis can easily handle this kind of a charge. No doubt some of them will ***** about it, but that's just cause they don't have a firm grasp on reality....