General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

New Challenger...... ehhhhh!!

Search this Thread

Old 2/16/07 | 06:55 AM
Big Falken Tires

New Challenger...... ehhhhh!!

So the new production version Challenger debuts in a year - Feb 2008

very cool......

Somehow though.... I can't help but chuckle looking at this pic..... American pride baby!!
Attached Images  
Old 2/16/07 | 07:12 AM
I Have Admin Envy

The factory that builds that car is 15 minutes away from my house

My neighbour is among many people I know who work there, they're pretty excited to get the car.

I chuckle at the fact that 2 out of the 3 american musclecars will be built up here in the Great White North
Old 2/16/07 | 07:33 AM
Big Falken Tires

Originally Posted by Galaxie
The factory that builds that car is 15 minutes away from my house

My neighbour is among many people I know who work there, they're pretty excited to get the car.

I chuckle at the fact that 2 out of the 3 american musclecars will be built up here in the Great White North
!!!! 15 minutes.........
Ummm...... so can we count on ya to 'hang around' in like 10 months with a digital camera outside the fence???

Please??

Funny about the Am Musclecar thing - heck I had no IDEA the GTO was originally Australian....
Old 2/16/07 | 12:20 PM
Bullitt Member

i finally figured out why that front end looks so similar to me:
http://www.knowledgedrivenrevolution...Grin_Close.jpg
Old 2/16/07 | 12:38 PM
Big Falken Tires

Originally Posted by OdiousBarbarian
i finally figured out why that front end looks so similar to me:
http://www.knowledgedrivenrevolution...Grin_Close.jpg
Dude...... nice quote......

"Stand and fight
Live by your heart
Always one more try
I'm not afraid to die
Stand and fight
Say what you feel
born with a heart of steel"

Old 2/17/07 | 04:54 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Burke0011
Somehow though.... I can't help but chuckle looking at this pic..... American pride baby!!
Don't worry, pretty soon all the Chryslers will be made in China.

"Cherypar Challenger" anyone?

Old 2/17/07 | 11:50 AM
Needs to be more Astony

so when is dodge going to show a production Challenger? i find it hard to beleive that it will be identical in every way to the concept.
Old 2/17/07 | 07:48 PM
V6 Member

They had an original Challenger at the Chicago Auto Show and they were showing pictures of the new one. Of course, the original was, well, the origianl. The pictures of the new one looked like a cross between a Challenger and a Barracuda.
I think it's supposed to have 400 horsepower. The Camaro is too. They had the convertable there. Very, very nice. Finally, for GM. Of course, they couldn't have thought it up on their own. Both will be be some cool car.

Makes me want to put off buying a 300 horsepower Mustnag. I'm afraid it will be, dare I say, dated.
Old 2/17/07 | 08:15 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Jamo
Makes me want to put off buying a 300 horsepower Mustang. I'm afraid it will be, dare I say, dated.
Well, like my grandpappy used to say, "There'll always be a nicer pair of ta-tas."

Bottom line is that while the Challenger will offer more power and the probability of IRS, the Challenger is a big, heavy car, based upon a platform that is actually much older than the current Mustang (previous generation Mercedes E-Class, to be precise). So I think the Mustang's chassis is likely more rigid. The Challenger will also be much more expensive as Dodge is only envisioning this as a limited production niche vehicle. Add high ADMs to a limited production car, and these things will be as tough to get ahold of as GT500s - maybe even more so.

The Camaro is the bigger threat, IMO. Closer to the Mustang in size and intent, it will offer more power and likely IRS, too - though rumor is that GM is trying to sort out the packaging issues so as to make it more competitive with the Stang. Then again, the Camaro has always been seen as the car that copied the Mustang (then and now), so at least with the Stang you have an originator, not a follower.

Remember, neither of these cars would be appearing on the scene were it not for the S197 Mustang.
Old 2/17/07 | 08:16 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

I wonder if the Challanger will be allowed to be imported in Canada?

Old 2/17/07 | 08:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

sad thing about the challenger is the limited production. 6.1 6 speed no small 8 or 6 cly version is slated to be built .... like the camaro. I think dodge is missing the boat on this one. 5.7 5 speed challenger would be nice...... and almost affordable.
Old 2/18/07 | 02:20 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Glenn
sad thing about the challenger is the limited production.
Not if you own one.
Old 2/18/07 | 12:49 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Burke0011
Canadiens. There for the credit but where are you when the quality complaints roll in?

If you guys want to square things up have BRP buy Chrysler.
Old 2/19/07 | 07:29 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
at least with the Stang you have an originator, not a follower.
The stang might become the follower once the battles start at the strip.

I really hope the stang is pushing near 400hp by then. The newer, better, musclecar days!
Old 2/19/07 | 07:47 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by ScottyBoy302
The stang might become the follower once the battles start at the strip.
You may be right on that score, yep.

Originally Posted by ScottyBoy302
I really hope the stang is pushing near 400hp by then. The newer, better, musclecar days!
I can't imagine the 2010 getting less than 400 HP in GT trim.

Then again, there will ALWAYS be a better, faster car, unless you have the money for a Bugatti Veyron.

And at some point, too much horsepower can mar the everyday driving enjoyment of a car.

OK, I'm just making that last bit up to make myself feel better about my purchase decision.
Old 2/20/07 | 12:20 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
I can't imagine the 2010 getting less than 400 HP in GT trim.
Model year or actual year
Old 2/20/07 | 03:09 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Boomer
Model year or actual year
Model year.
Old 4/9/07 | 06:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
Well, like my grandpappy used to say, "There'll always be a nicer pair of ta-tas."

Bottom line is that while the Challenger will offer more power and the probability of IRS, the Challenger is a big, heavy car, based upon a platform that is actually much older than the current Mustang (previous generation Mercedes E-Class, to be precise). So I think the Mustang's chassis is likely more rigid. The Challenger will also be much more expensive as Dodge is only envisioning this as a limited production niche vehicle. Add high ADMs to a limited production car, and these things will be as tough to get ahold of as GT500s - maybe even more so.

The Camaro is the bigger threat, IMO. Closer to the Mustang in size and intent, it will offer more power and likely IRS, too - though rumor is that GM is trying to sort out the packaging issues so as to make it more competitive with the Stang. Then again, the Camaro has always been seen as the car that copied the Mustang (then and now), so at least with the Stang you have an originator, not a follower.

Remember, neither of these cars would be appearing on the scene were it not for the S197 Mustang.

That would be inaccurate my good man. The LX chassis is a clean sheet design, it's the suspension and transmission that is of E-class origins, and that's actually a good thing. There's a reason why a two ton SRT8 wagon will outhandle your GT.

It makes me shake my head in disbelief everytime I go through a set of twisties in the SRT8. My GT will not brake or handle on par with my Magnum SRT8, and it could not keep up with the Magnum when it was stock either.

I'll tell you something else. My Magnum is a bunch tighter than my GT, which has a chorus of dash rattles. Don't get me wrong, I love my GT, but if I had to give an honest answer I'd have to say my Magnum is the better built car. Who knows, maybe my GT was built on a Monday.
Old 4/9/07 | 06:47 PM
Big Falken Tires

Originally Posted by exgto
There's a reason why a two ton SRT8 wagon will outhandle your GT.

It makes me shake my head in disbelief everytime I go through a set of twisties in the SRT8. My GT will not brake or handle on par with my Magnum SRT8, and it could not keep up with the Magnum when it was stock either.

I'll tell you something else. My Magnum is a bunch tighter than my GT,

Dodge Magnum SRT8
Vehicle type: front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 5-passenger, 5-door wagon
Price as tested: $42,945 (base price: $37,995)

Um - I should friggin hope so.

And I think what he is saying about the Camaro and the Challenger (not the Charger or the Magnum wagon) is completely true - if they new Mustang hadn't caused the stir it did, Camaro fans would NOT have a car to look forward to in '08

And as for the Charger and it's wagon cousin..... they wouldn't be around if it wasn't for the Chrysler 300.

Now - all that being said......
I just saw a black SRT8 Magnum on the way to work today and...... daem if that wasn't a bada** looking ride
Old 4/9/07 | 07:00 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by exgto
That would be inaccurate my good man. The LX chassis is a clean sheet design, it's the suspension and transmission that is of E-class origins, and that's actually a good thing. There's a reason why a two ton SRT8 wagon will outhandle your GT.

I'll tell you something else. My Magnum is a bunch tighter than my GT, which has a chorus of dash rattles. Don't get me wrong, I love my GT, but if I had to give an honest answer I'd have to say my Magnum is the better built car. Who knows, maybe my GT was built on a Monday.
My mistake using the word chassis. I should have specified: control arm front suspension, Mercedes-Benz E-Class 5-link rear suspension, 5-speed automatic, rear differential, and ESP system.

It does surprise me a bit to hear your thoughts on the Magnum outhandling your Mustang. If true, I would suspect it has more to do with the Magnum having IRS...as opposed to the Stang having an inferior chassis, which I honestly don't think it has. Put IRS into the Stang, and the tables might turn very quickly.

As to not keeping up with the SRT-8, what are the performance numbers for the Dodge? Will it hit 60 in five seconds...? I'm skeptical; the Dodge ain't light.

Braking? Well, yeah, your Dodge has Brembos.

"Chorus of dash rattles." Yep, that's not an uncommon complaint, and just another reason why modern manufacturers ought not to be using hard, low-rent plastics in their interiors. The Mustang interior LOOKS terrific, but the execution of several dash panels is sub-par.

Now, on a purely subjective note: Which car would you rather be seen driving? And which one attracts more stares?

Quick Reply: New Challenger...... ehhhhh!!