General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

New car is on it's way, but it's not a Boss ;)

Search this Thread

Old 11/21/13, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New car is on it's way, but it's not a Boss ;)

A couple years ago I put down a deposit for a Competition Orange 302 here in Northern VA. I was getting it pretty much for track days. After almost 5 months of waiting I was never able to get a build date or any info from the dealer so I cancelled the order. At this point all allocations seemed to have been taken or there was large premium on the car. So I went in the complete opposite direction of the Mustang and purchased a brand new Evo X for the track. This was a couple years ago. It was fantastic. Super easy to drive and responded to mods very well, initially. Well I kept modding it for the track and while it became super quick, it was also very temperamental and difficult to drive at it's limit. Just a couple months ago my father, who was tracking a Mini for a few years, purchased a 2013 Boss in School Bus Yellow. It is beautiful. Absolutely the color I would get. I've been driving it and I love everything about it. I am very, very jealous. With the Evo I had a pretty big issue with the turbo and electrics at my last track day in August. I fixed the car up and decided to go naturally aspirated, preferably a V8. Since my dad already had the exact car I probably would have bought, and I can drive it any time, I decided to make things interesting between him and I. I sold the Evo and ordered a '14 Camaro 1LE. I know it's the "arch enemy" to the Mustang, but that's why I got it. I love all types of cars and know that at the track, a huge part is the driver. I found that out in a humbling manner! So why post about this in a 302 forum? Well, first of all, I'm going to be on here in regards to any issues my dad may have with his car and also looking for track tips in terms of car set up for it. Also because I know a lot of you guys track your cars and I look forward to meeting up with some of you. The track I frequent most is VIR and Summit Point. I'm also going to head up to Watkins and NJMP. I always meet people at events and stay in touch. Oh, and my "project" with this car is to keep it as stock as possible. Tires, pads, braided lines and fluid is all I'm changing on this car. I've "been there, done that" with changing every possible thing of a car. Now I'm going to just relax and enjoy myself. I look forward to meeting and talking with you guys!
Old 11/22/13, 09:40 AM
V6 Member

Good luck with your car. It would be interesting to hear your opinions of the camaro vs your dads boss.
Old 11/22/13, 10:18 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Stock Boy
A couple years ago I put down a deposit for a Competition Orange 302 here in Northern VA. I was getting it pretty much for track days. After almost 5 months of waiting I was never able to get a build date or any info from the dealer so I cancelled the order. At this point all allocations seemed to have been taken or there was large premium on the car. So I went in the complete opposite direction of the Mustang and purchased a brand new Evo X for the track. This was a couple years ago. It was fantastic. Super easy to drive and responded to mods very well, initially. Well I kept modding it for the track and while it became super quick, it was also very temperamental and difficult to drive at it's limit. Just a couple months ago my father, who was tracking a Mini for a few years, purchased a 2013 Boss in School Bus Yellow. It is beautiful. Absolutely the color I would get. I've been driving it and I love everything about it. I am very, very jealous. With the Evo I had a pretty big issue with the turbo and electrics at my last track day in August. I fixed the car up and decided to go naturally aspirated, preferably a V8. Since my dad already had the exact car I probably would have bought, and I can drive it any time, I decided to make things interesting between him and I. I sold the Evo and ordered a '14 Camaro 1LE. I know it's the "arch enemy" to the Mustang, but that's why I got it. I love all types of cars and know that at the track, a huge part is the driver. I found that out in a humbling manner! So why post about this in a 302 forum? Well, first of all, I'm going to be on here in regards to any issues my dad may have with his car and also looking for track tips in terms of car set up for it. Also because I know a lot of you guys track your cars and I look forward to meeting up with some of you. The track I frequent most is VIR and Summit Point. I'm also going to head up to Watkins and NJMP. I always meet people at events and stay in touch. Oh, and my "project" with this car is to keep it as stock as possible. Tires, pads, braided lines and fluid is all I'm changing on this car. I've "been there, done that" with changing every possible thing of a car. Now I'm going to just relax and enjoy myself. I look forward to meeting and talking with you guys!
If you happen to be at Summit for the SCCA PDX's and run in intermediate I will see you there.
Old 11/22/13, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by 89Turd
Good luck with your car. It would be interesting to hear your opinions of the camaro vs your dads boss.
Thank you! I'm interested in the differences too. I'm not under the delusion that the Camaro will be "better", but it should be different. One thing I was very surprised about my dad's Boss was how sweet the engine was, very rev happy and felt so smooth. Much different than the mustangs I've driven before. Also the shifter was great; extremely short throw and nice feel, but you can't rush the shifts. He's a good driver so these upcoming track days are gonna be fun. I may be wishing he was back in the Mini.
Old 11/22/13, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Brandon302
If you happen to be at Summit for the SCCA PDX's and run in intermediate I will see you there.
I will have to look into the SCCA PDXs at Summit as the organization I usually run with isn't going there this year, so I've heard.
Old 11/22/13, 12:16 PM
GT Member

Great post and I look forward to hearing what you think of the Camaro but you sir are full of s4%t.
I direct you to your ending statement:
"Oh, and my "project" with this car is to keep it as stock as possible. Tires, pads, braided lines and fluid is all I'm changing on this car. I've "been there, done that" with changing every possible thing of a car. Now I'm going to just relax and enjoy myself"
Sure you will!!!!!!!!
Old 11/22/13, 01:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

wow, the elusive 1LE offered up to the track, and the owner is going to post on here?!! It almost sounds like espionage. In for updates, Dude! Have fun and good luck. Still, I wish the Boss had worked out for ya
Old 11/22/13, 02:27 PM
JPC
Bullitt Member

I look forward in hearing about the 1LE
I'm a track guy...I like ALL cars that are designed for the track...
I had a 1996 Cobra, then a 2004 CTS-V
Old 11/22/13, 04:06 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,234 Posts
I was looking at 1LE's and ZL1's before I bought the Roush Stage 3. I just can't get over the looks of the Camaro. But, I do love the performance they have, power wise and suspension wise.
Old 11/22/13, 09:12 PM

Trust me, I know the urge to modify will be there, I will just have to think about all the crap that went wrong when I modified the Evo. It will be a personal challenge to say the least. Stock cars can be pretty capable. I rode passenger to a motor journalist in the latest Shelby. He was also a part time racer in the Grand Am series. I was amazed with what he could do with that car in the curves. Sure, the tires and brakes were baked but I was extremely impressed with the overall performance of that car. However, stock is gonna be my thing. I have no choice, I made it my forum name.
Old 11/22/13, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by max5ive0
wow, the elusive 1LE offered up to the track, and the owner is going to post on here?!! It almost sounds like espionage. In for updates, Dude! Have fun and good luck. Still, I wish the Boss had worked out for ya
Thanks for the kind words! I wouldn't say elusive at all though. Super easy to order! Gotta say when I was shopping around, a lot of dealers didn't know what the 1LE option was.
Old 11/22/13, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by JPC
I look forward in hearing about the 1LE
I'm a track guy...I like ALL cars that are designed for the track...
I had a 1996 Cobra, then a 2004 CTS-V
Exactly. I'm not a fanboy of any car more than another. I respect MOST cars, especially when people wring them out at the track.
Old 11/22/13, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Stage_3
I was looking at 1LE's and ZL1's before I bought the Roush Stage 3. I just can't get over the looks of the Camaro. But, I do love the performance they have, power wise and suspension wise.
I know what you mean...I was sort of on the fence with '13 and earlier models. They just didn't grab me. When I saw the Z/28 concept, I really dug the looks of that. To me the '14s look much better. The rear, ehhh not so much. It's sorta bland and looks like a Prelude's rear. I'll get used to it though.
Old 11/25/13, 02:58 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Stock Boy
Trust me, I know the urge to modify will be there, I will just have to think about all the crap that went wrong when I modified the Evo. It will be a personal challenge to say the least. Stock cars can be pretty capable. I rode passenger to a motor journalist in the latest Shelby. He was also a part time racer in the Grand Am series. I was amazed with what he could do with that car in the curves. Sure, the tires and brakes were baked but I was extremely impressed with the overall performance of that car. However, stock is gonna be my thing. I have no choice, I made it my forum name.
I too am trying to stay stock so I feel your pain. Excellent forum name and avatar
Old 11/26/13, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Twins
I too am trying to stay stock so I feel your pain. Excellent forum name and avatar
Thank you. I know people are going to think I look like that guy in the avatar but oh well, it's worth it.