General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

New Camaro/Firebird?

Search this Thread

Old 4/14/05, 09:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
This is the first time I've heard anyone from GM actually state they're considering a Camaro/Firebird type vehicle (source Autoweek.com):

GM hunts for architecture for rear-drive performance car

DETROIT -- General Motors is considering creating a rear-wheel-drive performance car in the tradition of the discontinued Chevrolet Camaro and Pontiac Firebird.

"We're going to take another look at high performance rear-wheel drive," GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz said Tuesday at the Society of Automotive Engineers World Congress.

A Camaro-type vehicle was expected to be part of the rwd Zeta architecture being developed by Holden Ltd., GM's Australian subsidiary. But GM recently halted development of that program, saying vehicles would be too costly.

GM executives have said they are exploring existing GM rwd architectures to house vehicles similar to those proposed for the Zeta program. Options include modified forms of the Zeta and Sigma architectures. Sigma is a rwd architecture used by Cadillac.

The timing of the vehicles is in limbo until GM settles on a vehicle architecture. -DAVE GUILFORD
Remember the rumors about a new Camaro in '07? Based on this, we won't see anything resembling a Camaro until at least 2010 or beyond (or ever with the problems GM is having).
Old 4/14/05, 12:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With Lutz at the helm, the new Camaro will likely be some sort of crossover sport-ute.
Old 4/14/05, 12:23 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

"No no, a Miata-competitor! No, no, wait, An NSX competitor! Oh, I got it, an Arnage T comeptitor! darn it, people used to like my ideas"
-Putz :bang:
Old 4/14/05, 12:31 PM
Bullitt Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the only thing that will save the domestic automakers will be another musclecar war! and GM can't afford to not revive there pony car, the camero. With the Japanese building trucks and the popularity of there sedans GM, dodge and ford will suffer.
Old 4/14/05, 05:31 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I thought I heard a rumor that Lutz has had a leash put on him, he isn't the almighty approval guy anymore.
Old 4/14/05, 05:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by mustangfun101@April 14, 2005, 7:34 PM
I thought I heard a rumor that Lutz has had a leash put on him, he isn't the almighty approval guy anymore.
its about time....i hope this "consideration" doesnt include bring over another aussi car, that is unless its somewhat exciting looking. 2010? thats far off, i honestly sympathize for firebird/camaro fans this is terrible that gm cant make even a decision on using a rwd platform.
Old 4/14/05, 06:16 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

If they haven't learned and go the same road as the GTO then they deserve to go out of business. Stupid people shouldn't have that kind of control over that much money in the world economy.
Old 4/14/05, 06:29 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe GM will look at the sucess of the mustang and actually use the car as a benchmark to build a competitive Camaro

Maybe not
Old 4/14/05, 07:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

To be successful it has/it must match the '05 Mustang in styling and design links to the past. The GTO does not and nor does the new Charger.

These names evoke stong feelings and light up the emotional fuses unlike anything else. GM needs to do this smartly or fall further behind!
Old 4/15/05, 07:31 AM
GT Member

I agree with htwag, but unfortunately for The General I think it was Lutz himself who despises retro and has said he would never bow to it. I know a lot of people bash retro, but I think it can be done in a way that still progresses the brand image, and at this point in history, it seems to be what a lot of people want. Myself included. (Maybe liking retro cars is my way of protesting what in my opinion are the awful, terrible, ugly and bland new designs being touted by a lot of mainstream manufacturers these days.)
Old 4/15/05, 07:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

I had in a round about way brought up this subject yesterday, while ranting about Fords screwed up ordering process, and the fact that I am personally sick of the price gouging, mis information, lack of information, and the excessive wait to spend my hard earned dough on the new 05 GT, enough of that, in regards to the Camaro, Chevy will have one for sale before 2010, there is already a rear wheel drive protype being tested, dont think for a second that you will not see Chevy's pony car again, it will be here, and it will be fastttt.

P.S. I am an avid Ford enthusiast, although I have owned every make of american Muscle, my first car was a 68 Plymouth Roadrunner, what a sleeper !, I have also owned several Mustangs, from the 60's and early 70's my favorite being my 70 fast back, in addittion, several Z-28s and a couple of trans ams...

The new Mustang is a modern classic, and I love the car, and will have one, if anyone feels like flaming me go ahead.

I will look for some pics of the camaro.

Old 4/15/05, 07:49 AM
I'm people, and I like.

We're going to take another look at high performance rear-wheel drive
that's the smartest thing I read Lutz say. But lets see where he goes with it.

And they HAVE to use the Mustang as a benchmark.

and GMConvert: I agree with you wholeheartedly. Most of today's desings are awful, terrible, ugly and bland
Old 4/15/05, 07:58 AM
GTR Member

GM is hopefully going down the tubes
Old 4/15/05, 08:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Fordracing200@April 15, 2005, 8:01 AM
LOL...
Old 4/15/05, 08:29 AM
I'm people, and I like.

Originally posted by Fordracing200@April 15, 2005, 7:01 AM
Then Ford would have no domestic competition, and that means no worries for Ford, which equals higher prices.
Old 4/15/05, 09:00 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by htwag@April 14, 2005, 8:27 PM
To be successful it has/it must match the '05 Mustang in styling and design links to the past. The GTO does not and nor does the new Charger.
Yeah, but most of the f-body loyalist dont want retro, they want some new mutation of camaro or firebird. The only retro they want begins with LS.
Old 4/15/05, 09:40 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by mmoonshot@April 15, 2005, 7:46 AM
... in regards to the Camaro, Chevy will have one for sale before 2010, there is already a rear wheel drive protype being tested, dont think for a second that you will not see Chevy's pony car again, it will be here, and it will be fastttt.

What is the source of this information about a Camaro prototype being tested? Just a rumor? Camaro fans are doing a lot of wishful thinking, making 3-d models of Camaros they wish were being built, rumors of cars being built in secret, etc.

GM is trying to keep Camaro fans hanging on to the hope of a new Camaro by mentioning a new Mustang competitor, but so far they don't have anything, and with GM's financial troubles, it looks like it will be a long time before they will be able have a product to compete with the Mustang. They're just trying to keep the Camaro fans from defecting to the Mustang camp.

It's funny, the Camaro would never have existed in the first place if it wasn't for the Mustang being successful in the 60's, and if you compare the early Camaro to the early Mustang, its obvious GM built a Mustang clone to cash in on the ponycar craze.

It looks like the success of the '05 Mustang might make GM build a Mustang clone again once their financial troubles have been solved, although probably not with the name Camaro. But how many years down the road will it be? 5years? 10 years?
Old 4/15/05, 10:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by Vermillion98+April 15, 2005, 9:43 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vermillion98 @ April 15, 2005, 9:43 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-mmoonshot@April 15, 2005, 7:46 AM
... in regards to the Camaro, Chevy will have one for sale before 2010, there is already a rear wheel drive protype being tested, dont think for a second that you will not see Chevy's pony car again, it will be here, and it will be fastttt.

What is the source of this information about a Camaro prototype being tested? Just a rumor? Camaro fans are doing a lot of wishful thinking, making 3-d models of Camaros they wish were being built, rumors of cars being built in secret, etc.

GM is trying to keep Camaro fans hanging on to the hope of a new Camaro by mentioning a new Mustang competitor, but so far they don't have anything, and with GM's financial troubles, it looks like it will be a long time before they will be able have a product to compete with the Mustang. They're just trying to keep the Camaro fans from defecting to the Mustang camp.

It's funny, the Camaro would never have existed in the first place if it wasn't for the Mustang being successful in the 60's, and if you compare the early Camaro to the early Mustang, its obvious GM built a Mustang clone to cash in on the ponycar craze.

It looks like the success of the '05 Mustang might make GM build a Mustang clone again once their financial troubles have been solved, although probably not with the name Camaro. But how many years down the road will it be? 5years? 10 years?
[/b][/quote]

He's the same guy that posted there were multiple recalls on the Ford GT when a search of the NHTSA recall database yielded only one. Unless he provides some proof for what he posts, I wouldn't lend any credibility to it.
Old 4/15/05, 11:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Vermillion98+April 15, 2005, 9:43 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vermillion98 @ April 15, 2005, 9:43 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-mmoonshot@April 15, 2005, 7:46 AM

[/b][/quote]

Thank you, this is exactly my point, (It's funny, the Camaro would never have existed in the first place if it wasn't for the Mustang being successful in the 60's, and if you compare the early Camaro to the early Mustang, its obvious GM built a Mustang clone to cash in on the ponycar craze. )...it's coming boys..get ready !.. :angry:
Old 4/15/05, 11:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Check these concept car pics out !

Quick Reply: New Camaro/Firebird?