General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Modding Your '05 In California is AGAINST THE LAW!

Search this Thread

Old 8/11/05, 09:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by SaleenPowr@August 11, 2005, 7:39 AM
Wow man. I felt dumber after reading that post. Grammer is our friend. I think it's time the two of you met.

Grammer,meet grammar. Dumb and dumberer.
Yikes !
Old 8/11/05, 09:54 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by FiaCobra@August 11, 2005, 10:42 AM
Hey, i have an idea. Why don't we all go to the San Andreas fault with crowbars in hand and pry that @*^%@$ state right into the Pacific !!
Well, for starters, the San Andreas fault doesn't separate California from Nevada, Arizona and Oregon! It is only a sliver of land that runs along the coast.

The problem would remain...
Old 8/11/05, 09:57 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by cyoon@August 11, 2005, 9:46 AM
They should target street racers, not all people who mod their cars. This is just stupid. I'm sure a cop who confuses me with a ricer becasue I have a unique spoiler is an Fing moron barney. Whatever happened to smaller government? People are so ready to have the government regulate our lives.
Um, you do realize that a high percentage of people that mod their cars do street race. I have yet to see a car with a fart can driving around normally. Around here almost every modified car drives around just looking for a race. I even have old pinto's with racing stripes pulling up next to me reving the engine.

When and if a cop pulls me over I definately won't give him a hard time. Sure, I do all my mods for the looks and want to bring it to the track but the point it, my car has not been to the track yet. Pretty darn modified for a daily driver. A lot of people on this site have talked about "kills", street racing etc...that is just adding to the problem.
Old 8/11/05, 10:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Thats exactly why I am glad I live in ga.
Old 8/11/05, 10:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Its funny how you guys are busting on the cops for doing their jobs.
Old 8/11/05, 10:29 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by CelticCub@August 11, 2005, 9:57 AM
Well, for starters, the San Andreas fault doesn't separate California from Nevada, Arizona and Oregon! It is only a sliver of land that runs along the coast.

The problem would remain...
Not really..most of the nuts are on that sliver of land.

Old 8/11/05, 10:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Here's an example of why the law was enacted . . .

City Steps In, Sideshows Could End

By Zusha Elinson - Post Staff Writer
Photos Courtesy of sydewze.com

Sideshows will be taking center stage Tuesday, July 19, when Oakland City Council decides whether to pass an ordinance that would make it a crime to attend sideshows and make it easier for police to confiscate vehicles participating in sideshows.

Unique to Oakland and usually taking place on the streets of East Oakland, sideshows are late-night gatherings of young people and their juiced-up, styled-out cars.

Drivers “swing†their cars in donuts and figure eights, competing with each other, while spectators gather around, cheering on the participants.
Under the proposed ordinance, anyone within 100 feet of a sideshow, encouraging drivers could be arrested and given a $500 fine. Second and third offenses could result in a $750 fine and a $1000 fine with the possibility of six months in jail respectively.

“I don’t think any city can allow any citizen to endanger another citizen,†said Oakland City Council President Ignacio De La Fuente (Fruitvale), who supports the ordinance.

Supporters of the ordinance hope the new law will put an end to the late-night noise, and the “reckless driving†that can shut down intersections and endanger participants as well as passers by.

But for some sideshowing is not only the thing to do, but the only thing to do.
“In Oakland there is nothing else for the youth to do,†Antonio “Tone†Torres, 18, who frequents sideshows. “It’s something that we enjoy, and it’s something that’s been going on for years.â€

Councilmember Desley Brooks (Eastmont/Seminary), whose district is a hot spot for sideshows, is in favor of the ordinance, but also with Torres.
“I am not opposed to the ordinance, but we need to have a safe sanctioned alternative as well; the ordinance alone will not work,†said Brooks, who has been working on the details of an off-street sideshow venue with police officials, insurance experts, and sideshow promoters.

Brooks is following a model that was initiated in San Diego after 16 people were killed and 31 seriously injured as a result of illegal street racing in 2002.

With funding from the California Office of Traffic and Safety, RaceLegal.com, an organization providing off-street venues for street racers, was born and used in conjunction with a spectator ordinance similar the one proposed in Oakland.
How effective has it been?

“Very,†said RaceLegal.com founder Steve Bender , at the time an injury epidemiologist with San Diego State University.
From 2003-2005, San Diego has reported no deaths and only three serious injuries due to illegal street racing.

“We have effectively eliminated the incidence of “organized†illegal street racing in San Diego,†said Steve Bender. “But much credit must also be attributed to the San Diego Police Department’s Drag Net Unit which has provided much muscle to address this problem.â€

With gate receipts from the racing events bringing in $350,000 annually, RaceLegal.com must raise an annual $200-300,000 from sponsors, which it has been able to do.

Oakland spends approximately $400,000 of general fund money each year on police efforts to curb sideshows.

Police officials did not return phone calls made by the POST.

Councilmember Jean Quan (Montclair-Laurel), who wrote the ordinance, hopes it will help the city save money and change it’s image from “a place where you can do whatever you want†to a place that “does not tolerate sideshow behavior.â€

Underground videos like “Oakland Gone Wild†and “Sydewayze,†depicting Oakland sideshows and the general word on the street draw people from all over.
According to police reports, 38 percent of sideshow participants are from out of town.

Neither Quan or De La Fuente said they would not support Brooks’ “safe, sanctioned alternative.â€

“I don’t think that the city needs to pay for this kind of thing, I would rather see the city pay for safe-driving schools,†said Quan.

Both Quan and De La Fuente emphasized that they support other youth programs such as teen centers and midnight basketball.

Councilmember Nancy Nadel (West Oakland) said she “could live†Brooks’ alternative, but added that she is still undecided on the ordinance.
“I am worried that the ordinance will be used too broadly to arrest people not involved in sideshow activities,†said Nadel.

Already, there are state laws giving the police the power to confiscate and ticket vehicles involved in sideshow activity and while police say they are helping to crack down on the dangerous activity, young people like Torres say it gives the police too much power.
“My car is one of the targets,†said Torres. “If they [police] see you in a Mustang they pull you over, I’m always getting pulled over for nothing.â€
Brooks is also worried that the ordinance would only be targeting a certain type of person.

“The ordinance only makes ‘sideshows’ illegal, but it doesn’t mention ‘drag racing,†said Brooks. “The implication is that the ordinance may disproportionately affect people of color who engage in sideshows, but not drag racing, which I think is something done more by white kids.â€

Quan said that ‘drag racing’ went away with the 1950’s and didn’t need to be included in the ordinance.

Mayor Jerry Brown, who introduced a tougher sideshow law that did not pass earlier this month, did not return calls made by the POST.
Old 8/11/05, 10:49 AM
She's Back and Strapped!

OMG... you know its also illegal to spit on the sidewalks? Did you know that EVERY state has laws that if they were enforced half of you folks would have to live in jail?

This is about enforcing laws in place, and frankly, California is no worse in that regard than any other state. Holy Mother. Just a few months ago there was a news story about VA enforcing some innane law.

Yes, its about revenue, and its ok.

Its also about keeping ME safe. My car has illegal tint on it, and I live two blocks from the HB Police station and Civic Center. I see approximately 6 cops A DAY, pass me, and I have had thumbs up, nods of approval, but NEVER gotten pulled over. I am also running without a front plate. Both of which is enough to pull me over, they dont. They are using those excuses to pull over the idiots with their bass so loud it rattles the windows of the houses. 5 out of 10 times those guys are driving on suspended licenses, have warrants, or worse are carrying illegal weapons. Sometimes the vehicle is stolen. Those are also the guys driving under the influence, the ones racing like mad peope around town, and the ones using the street in front of my condo as a tire burning arena.

I bet there is a law or two in your state you can worked up over. We can handle ours, thanks!
Old 8/11/05, 10:50 AM
Cobra R Member

Interesting post.

I live in L.A., and I must say, the only thing I've gotten from the cops so far is compliments. I got pulled over once for speeding and they could've given me a ticket, but instead they let me off with a warning and a compliment on my car. I've had cops bust u-turns just to see my car and give me a thumbs up. My car has obvious aftermarket pipes and is lowered, so if they were sticking to this law they could have pulled me over for that. Oh yeah, I don't have front plates either.

Oh and another thing, I have stripes installed from the dealer, but it doesn't come from the factory that way, so am I breaking the law?

Although I think we need to be ever-vigilant of our rights, I don't think we should panic either. I think this law is intended to target reckless street racer gatherings and their dangerous practices.

~Rob
Old 8/11/05, 10:52 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by hayburner@August 11, 2005, 10:55 AM
Grammer,meet grammar. Dumb and dumberer.
Yikes !
oops. never said spelling was my friend.

:angry:
Old 8/11/05, 10:55 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Old 8/11/05, 10:59 AM
She's Back and Strapped!

Actually, all you folks who live in Cali, particularly LA Area, why not come to our meet? We are gathering all of the illegal Stangs so that the cops only have to make one stop and can get like $750,000 worth of cars in one shot!

Check out the West Coast Section.
Old 8/11/05, 11:07 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by JessicaRabbitt@August 11, 2005, 10:02 AM
Actually, all you folks who live in Cali, particularly LA Area, why not come to our meet? We are gathering all of the illegal Stangs so that the cops only have to make one stop and can get like $750,000 worth of cars in one shot!

Check out the West Coast Section.
When is it, JR? I had fun at the Carlsbad meet. Remember me? I was the guy in the cowboy hat.

~Rob
Old 8/11/05, 11:20 AM
She's Back and Strapped!

Yeh, Rob! I remember... Its Aug 21st, going to the Auto Museum... Check the thread, all the details are there.
Old 8/11/05, 12:43 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by GhostTX@August 11, 2005, 11:32 AM
Not really..most of the nuts are on that sliver of land.

Oh, I don't know. I think most of the nuts live in the bible belt.
Old 8/11/05, 12:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by CelticCub@August 11, 2005, 11:46 AM
Oh, I don't know. I think most of the nuts live in the bible belt.
Hey, I'm with you.

Besides I live near San Andreas and I'm tried of the rap . . afterall . . . . it's not our fault!
Old 8/11/05, 12:51 PM
GTR Member

If i knew they were gonna take my car, their would be one helluva car chase, i can tell u that. looks like its time to buy a saleen.
Old 8/11/05, 01:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Fordracing200@August 11, 2005, 11:54 AM
If i knew they were gonna take my car, their would be one helluva car chase, i can tell u that. looks like its time to buy a saleen.
Well, if it ever happens I hope you enjoy being bent over and taken advantage of by big ugly tattoo'd guys because as you know . . . that's what takes place in prison.
Old 8/11/05, 04:28 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
man i wish i were closer i would love to come!
Old 8/11/05, 07:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by The Lyin' King@August 11, 2005, 12:50 PM
Hey, I'm with you.

Besides I live near San Andreas and I'm tried of the rap . . afterall . . . . it's not our fault!
Besides the worst earthquake in the US was in....................MISSOURI.................!
More people are killed in Tornados and Hurricanes than any other natural disaster.

As for all the California bashing.....I've been to Texas, I liked Austin alot, but I love San Diego! Ca has it fruits and nuts, TX has it's Qu^^rs and Steers (nothing wrong with either of 'em!) Wacko Wacho David Koresh and we should all thank you for the Idiot in Charge....GWB was your governor, you should of warned us!

As for the new article it was poorly written. It didn't say WHY.
Who, What, When, Where and WHY are the basics of good journalism.

Quick Reply: Modding Your '05 In California is AGAINST THE LAW!