General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Modding Your '05 In California is AGAINST THE LAW!

Search this Thread

Old 8/11/05, 12:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Yup, you heard right. Your car can be impounded and auctioned off for State profit if you're caught with a modified car in California.

No wonder there are so many car chases in CA. If I knew some doughtnut chomper (and my Uncle is an Inspector in NY, I don't hate cops) was going to impound and auction off my car because I had an S/C, intake, or exhaust on my car, I would run too! If you're going to rip away $40k in property from me and all the sweat, blood, tears, and emotions I put into that car, I'd crush it myself - right into the driver's side of your cruiser! Facist scumbags. Stop paying for BS and get your budget in order! Robbing your citizens of their property is NOT the way to balance a state budget. Anti-masculinist facists.

Here's the link to the dispicable law:

Facist Law
Old 8/11/05, 12:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

it is only illegal if it is not CARB legal parts or in the case of exhaust it makes the car louder by purpose
In practice, "excessive exaust noise" tickets are the most common violation. California law does not require police to measure sound levels objectively. Instead, according to the California Highway Patrol, the "citation is based on officer's judgment."

If you go to court and say i changed my exhaust to increase the performance and as a result it got louder then it is leagal. The laws are very open for debate. I live in Los Angeles and I know a bunch of people including my self with highly modded cars and we have never had problems aside from the occasional speeding ticket.
Old 8/11/05, 12:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Doesn't matter. This law gives free reign to any cop who's in a bad mood to give you a ticket. It's at his "discretion." That means if he feels like upping his citation count and he sees you have a performance-oriented vehicle, he can give you a ticket and force to go to court, to take time out of your life to prove your innocence.

It's not just exhaust. It's anything. Stickers, guages, window tint, spoilers, etc. All they need to do is THINK you may have a modified car and they can pull you over and force you to pop the hood for an impromptu engine compartment inspection. You don't see something WRONG with that!?

They've already impounded 50 vehicles in one weekend. THEY'RE SELLING CARS TO BALANCE THEIR BUDGET. If I were a CA resident, I would take this much more seriously. This could be the beginning of the end for you guys out there.
Old 8/11/05, 01:00 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Heres a little more related discussion http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=30952

I have yet to see this as a probelm, especially since people in my school (UTI) have heavily modded and obvious car's. Cops love to hide in the streets, hopefully it doesn't catch on big, because so far I can't notice it or know anyone here who has had problems.
We'll see what happens in the following months.
Old 8/11/05, 02:09 AM

I'm in CA and its stinks.. nto just performace car.. but anything.. people getting taggs fro a few mph or dumb things just to make moeny.. and you know what.. its our faults... people wanted more cops on the streets to "protect" us... I think crime has stated the same.. but gouging people has increased.. so tye have to keep that budge up and moeny flowing in or heaven to bid we cant hair anymore cops... woooo.. its jack.. I had my 87 honey towed from infront of my HOUSE! because the city decited to throw a paraid and gave less then 24 hour noticed.. and of course I was at my friends house all day and night doing the install to the ATI.. I came back and my other car car was gone.. not only did I have to pay 250 to get it out.. but the Fing police threw in a 33 buck no parking in a TEMP no parking zone.. I dont have anything personal about cops.. but sheet like this makes me hate them as a whole... forget the mob.. now we have cops... makes me want to play GTA and whoop cop booty >
Old 8/11/05, 03:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by OBleedingMe@August 11, 2005, 12:47 AM
Doesn't matter. This law gives free reign to any cop who's in a bad mood to give you a ticket. It's at his "discretion." That means if he feels like upping his citation count and he sees you have a performance-oriented vehicle, he can give you a ticket and force to go to court, to take time out of your life to prove your innocence.

It's not just exhaust. It's anything. Stickers, guages, window tint, spoilers, etc. All they need to do is THINK you may have a modified car and they can pull you over and force you to pop the hood for an impromptu engine compartment inspection. You don't see something WRONG with that!?

They've already impounded 50 vehicles in one weekend. THEY'RE SELLING CARS TO BALANCE THEIR BUDGET. If I were a CA resident, I would take this much more seriously. This could be the beginning of the end for you guys out there.
i searched chp's website and the best i got related to this bs article is this
Officers from the Santa Fe Springs Area (550) have specialized training from the Bureau of Automobile Repair (BAR) and worked jointly with the Los Angeles Country Sheriff's Department to crack down on illegal street racing. "Street Racing Task Force" was created with a minimum of 12 officers. On a recent weekend evening, the task force issued 300 citations, impound 50 vehicles, and arrest 20 individuals. (Officer Terry Liu, #15149)
they impounded 50 cars street racing not for having a wing or a sticker or a turbo or a bs article
Old 8/11/05, 04:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts
Is it just me, or do as lot of folks have high blood pressure this morning?

No slam intended at all at you, Charlie. Just seems like a lot of stress in the top posts today.
Old 8/11/05, 06:00 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PRK?
Old 8/11/05, 06:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

IF it's true, it is ridiculous! Not that I needed it, but one for reason to avoid Cali!
Old 8/11/05, 06:41 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They have been doing that around here for years. A lot of honda's have been impounded over the years. Ever since Fast and Furious movie was released tons of people started street racing and this was the quickest way they could put a stop to it. I don't blame them either. Way too many people racing on the streets these days.
Old 8/11/05, 08:36 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by lostsoul@August 11, 2005, 3:12 AM
I'm in CA and its stinks.. nto just performace car.. but anything.. people getting taggs fro a few mph or dumb things just to make moeny.. and you know what.. its our faults... people wanted more cops on the streets to "protect" us... I think crime has stated the same.. but gouging people has increased.. so tye have to keep that budge up and moeny flowing in or heaven to bid we cant hair anymore cops... woooo.. its jack.. I had my 87 honey towed from infront of my HOUSE! because the city decited to throw a paraid and gave less then 24 hour noticed.. and of course I was at my friends house all day and night doing the install to the ATI.. I came back and my other car car was gone.. not only did I have to pay 250 to get it out.. but the Fing police threw in a 33 buck no parking in a TEMP no parking zone.. I dont have anything personal about cops.. but sheet like this makes me hate them as a whole... forget the mob.. now we have cops... makes me want to play GTA and whoop cop booty >
Wow man. I felt dumber after reading that post. Grammer is our friend. I think it's time the two of you met.
Old 8/11/05, 08:59 AM
Team Mustang Source

Wow, I thought my state was the worst, I feel bad for you people in California. And I just heard from a fellow police officer that people in PA got a law passed that any aftermarket exhaust in the state of PA is ILLEGAL! Feel bad for them too,
Old 8/11/05, 09:14 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by MaverickMLFD371@August 11, 2005, 11:02 AM
Wow, I thought my state was the worst, I feel bad for you people in California. And I just heard from a fellow police officer that people in PA got a law passed that any aftermarket exhaust in the state of PA is ILLEGAL! Feel bad for them too,
What ever happened to the police officer's primary job?
I agree with the poster a couple posts up, a lot of it is about revenue makers.
Old 8/11/05, 09:23 AM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by TURBO 05@August 11, 2005, 2:03 AM
i searched chp's website and the best i got related to this bs article is this
Officers from the Santa Fe Springs Area (550) have specialized training from the Bureau of Automobile Repair (BAR) and worked jointly with the Los Angeles Country Sheriff's Department to crack down on illegal street racing. "Street Racing Task Force" was created with a minimum of 12 officers. On a recent weekend evening, the task force issued 300 citations, impound 50 vehicles, and arrest 20 individuals. (Officer Terry Liu, #15149)
they impounded 50 cars street racing not for having a wing or a sticker or a turbo or a bs article
:worship:

Thank you for showing me that someone actually knows how to read! I read both threads and I was shocked that nearly everybody jumped to the same conclusions, which the "article" never really addressed.

There's no new "LAW" here, just a federal grant to aid in enforcement of laws that have existed for decades. Big Difference.

Nowhere in the article did it say cars were being impounded for modifications, in fact it never actually said what the criteria was, just that on a recent "enforcement" weekend they impounded cars for...... never says, probably because the author is purposefully trying to create a certain impression to support his article. Looks like it worked

The author of this "article" is taking one issue and trying to make you believe it's another isssue.

All this is, is enforcement of street racers who do very stupid things and nothing more.
Old 8/11/05, 09:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

There are a lot of innocent people being killed by these street racers and the crime associated with "Side Shows" that started in the Oakland area is unbelievable. There have been instances where a girl who wouldn't give phone number out to some guy was dragged out of her car, striped naked and sent running down the street while the crowd trashes her car. There are murders occuring during these events as well.

The cops have to do something to reel this thing back in, I don't believe the task forces that have been created are going to target folks like us but it's something that needs to be watched.

You can bet SEMA and some of the other aftermarket groups will by lobbying to defend our rights should it get out of hand but they can't do it alone without your support.

If you're really concerned, get involved. Write your Legislator, Representatives and Congressmen. Become a member of one or more of the organizations formed to fight things like this. Subscribe to their action alerts . . . get busy. These are the types of things we do in my 4X4 hobby.

I belong to groups like Tread Lightly, The Blue Ribbon Coalition, Friends of the Rubicon and the California Association of Four Wheel Drive Clubs because they defend my right to access and enjoy our public lands.

Here’s a link to the SEMA action alert page, join now . . . . it’s a good place to get started.

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?ID=/...SANcom/HomePage
Old 8/11/05, 09:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Hey, i have an idea. Why don't we all go to the San Andreas fault with crowbars in hand and pry that @*^%@$ state right into the Pacific !!
Old 8/11/05, 09:43 AM
Bullitt Member

They should target street racers, not all people who mod their cars. This is just stupid. I'm sure a cop who confuses me with a ricer becasue I have a unique spoiler is an Fing moron barney. Whatever happened to smaller government? People are so ready to have the government regulate our lives.
Old 8/11/05, 09:48 AM
I'm people, and I like.

Good search Danny!
Thanks for the correct info
Old 8/11/05, 09:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by SaleenPowr@August 11, 2005, 7:39 AM
Wow man. I felt dumber after reading that post. Grammer is our friend. I think it's time the two of you met.
Grammer meet grammar. Yikes.
Old 8/11/05, 09:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I posted this last week:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=30952

Quick Reply: Modding Your '05 In California is AGAINST THE LAW!