General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Messege Center Remaining miles?

Search this Thread

Old 9/5/05, 07:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a little off topic, but it is simular to the Mustang and a lot more Mustang owners have done this mod than Mountaineer owners.

I installed a K&M CAI on my 2002 Mountaineer. I then went imediately to the gas station and filled up. The messege center showed remaining miles to empty as 410. I have never had it show more than 340. Has the CAI messed up the computer? Will it come back to the right calculations? Am I really going to get that much better gas mileage? Does the gas that now costs over $3.00 a gallon get better mileage?
Old 9/5/05, 09:22 AM
Cobra Member

i think evil midgets with Computer Science master degrees have invaded your dash and theyre packing guiness
Old 9/5/05, 09:34 AM
Cobra Member

Old 9/5/05, 09:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by mustangjack@September 5, 2005, 9:40 AM
This is a little off topic, but it is simular to the Mustang and a lot more Mustang owners have done this mod than Mountaineer owners.

I installed a K&M CAI on my 2002 Mountaineer. I then went imediately to the gas station and filled up. The messege center showed remaining miles to empty as 410. I have never had it show more than 340. Has the CAI messed up the computer? Will it come back to the right calculations? Am I really going to get that much better gas mileage? Does the gas that now costs over $3.00 a gallon get better mileage?
That's a great question! From what I've read (I'm no expert), the CAI generally leans out the mixture, and the computer tune compensates by making the mixture richer. I'm surprised that your system thinks right after the retune that you will get better gas mileage. I would be VERY interested to hear what your average MPG stabilizes at.

I just drove 400 miles, mostly state roads, and got 25.2 MPG average. That was driving just under 60 mph most of the way (speed trap on Rt 17 through Tappahannock, for those of you from around Glouster in VA). My engine is totally stock so far.

Be sure to repost and tell us what your average MPG is!!!
Old 9/5/05, 10:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Mine did pretty much the same thing. I have gotten about 1.5 MPG better since installing my JLT. Of course, I also just hit 1k miles, so that may have helped. It will balance itself out, mine did.

Dusty, I am from Va Beach, and know all about thier speed traps in Haptin Roads!
Old 9/5/05, 11:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks. I'll let you know what happens. So I can expect the same type of thing when I finally get my Mustang.