General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Maximum Bob says RWD Impala and GTO are DEAD

Search this Thread

Old 1/21/08, 01:16 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maximum Bob says RWD Impala and GTO are DEAD

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/20/d...d-monaro-dead/

Well, I guess he's not invincible. Getting RWD vehicles to comply with CAFE standards before the 12 year timeframe elapses isn't in his mighty powers.
Old 1/21/08, 07:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Fortunately no mention of the G8 GXP or G8 ST . I want one of those G8 ST's. I am actually quite glad on the GTO though. I like driving something lesser known. If I had a dollar for everytime I heard "that is RWD?", or "it's got a V8?" I'd be rich.
Old 1/21/08, 09:55 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Slims00ls1z28
Fortunately no mention of the G8 GXP or G8 ST . I want one of those G8 ST's. I am actually quite glad on the GTO though. I like driving something lesser known. If I had a dollar for everytime I heard "that is RWD?", or "it's got a V8?" I'd be rich.
I bet you'd be richer for everytime someone said "Nice 2door grand prix"
hahahah

I kid I kid...
Old 1/21/08, 11:37 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Current Impala is a very successful car.

I don't know why GM wanted to change FF to RWD.
Old 1/21/08, 12:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Heh, copy from my BON post following a whole lot of hatred about it:

I don't get all the resentment, it makes sense to me. The Malibu FWD is the bread and buttter sedan for Chevy with the RWD Camaro the 'fun' one. And the GM Pontiac G8 is the 'excitement' car instead of so many overlapping vehicles, not to mention Cadillac. The segment is somewhat small, it would be akin to Ford makinig another CUV on the CX7 from Mazda(or chevy getting a version of the solice). Being that the profits are good from any division, some vehicles can be profitable without haveing a version in every single nameplate.

And what is that asshat saying more GM cars will be pulled by the front wheels? In a year they are adding two(G8 and Camaro) and just added the rwd roadsters just a couple back...As of late, GM has done a much better job of mixing up the brand identity between makes better then ever before. There is no Cadillac Cimmeron, and Saturn has a bevy of new cars that don't look anything like the other brands, even the Sky, which is low production vehicle got a full exterior re-do rather then a re-badge. I think they are doing a pretty good job.
Old 1/21/08, 01:36 PM
Cobra Member

and no more V8?

"GM kills V-8 family and, like Ford, embraces powertrain downsizing.
BY ALISA PRIDDLE, January 2008

The ubiquitous V-8 engine under the hood of full-size SUVs and big cars could go the way of the eight-track tape deck in a modern world where fuel-efficiency and emissions standards are redefining the cars and trucks of tomorrow.

New regulations that will require U.S. vehicle fleets to achieve 35 mpg are responsible for General Motors’ decision to kill plans for a new double overhead cam V-8 engine for luxury cars to replace the aging Northstar V-8, Bob Lutz, GM vice chairman, says in an interview at the 2008 North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

“The replacement of the Northstar, that cancellation was the direct result of the 35-mpg fuel legislation.” GM chairman Rick Wagoner says when the new V-8 family program began, “there was more optimism than we have today,” that V-8 engines could survive in today’s regulatory climate. The engine was to go into production next year, prior to phasing out the Northstar V-8 that is found in many Cadillacs, that is scheduled to be phased out in 2010.

Don’t expect new V-8 families in the future, Lutz says. Rather, look for V-6s tuned to provide low-end torque to power large vehicles.

Ford has been publicizing its EcoBoost powertrain strategy to provide V-8 power with a family of turbocharged V-6 engines with direct injection, starting with a 3.5-liter V-6 in the Lincoln MKS, followed by the Ford Flex, and eventually rolling out to 500,000 vehicles in the next five years."
Old 1/21/08, 09:33 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
They killed a coupla V8 engine programs not "the" V8 engine program (speaking LSx here). GM will have a V8 in some shape or form, it would be suicide for them to come out with a strictly V6/I4 vette or maro.
Old 1/21/08, 11:13 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

BTW there's a good thread on BON where they point out that if this decision carries to Caddillac's RWD products it has really thrown a wrench into Caddy's long-range product plan. The RWD Zeta and Alpha platforms were to carry the brand going forward, yet Zeta's lineup is shrinking and Alpha still doesn't have an official go. Wouldn't it be interesting if the Caddy DTS/STS ended up FWD/AWD?

Originally Posted by bob
They killed a coupla V8 engine programs not "the" V8 engine program (speaking LSx here). GM will have a V8 in some shape or form, it would be suicide for them to come out with a strictly V6/I4 vette or maro.
They killed the OHC V8 program, going forward they're all OHV V8s.
Old 1/21/08, 11:50 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Moosetang
BTW there's a good thread on BON where they point out that if this decision carries to Caddillac's RWD products it has really thrown a wrench into Caddy's long-range product plan. The RWD Zeta and Alpha platforms were to carry the brand going forward, yet Zeta's lineup is shrinking and Alpha still doesn't have an official go. Wouldn't it be interesting if the Caddy DTS/STS ended up FWD/AWD?

Was it only the OHC program, I thought there was another V8 program in there as well? Was the OHC the LSA engine?
Old 1/23/08, 05:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Moosetang
Northstar was expensive and never particularly impressive, probably a smart business decision all around.
Old 1/24/08, 12:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
I bet you'd be richer for everytime someone said "Nice 2door grand prix"
hahahah

I kid I kid...
Haven't had that one yet. The first day I had it I had a guy ask how I liked my G6, and another asking if I had "that" sunroof (the one on the G6.

Originally Posted by bob
Was it only the OHC program, I thought there was another V8 program in there as well? Was the OHC the LSA engine?
No it was the Northstars replacement.