Old 5/26/07, 12:10 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This thread's still being rehashed? - see post #48
Old 5/26/07, 12:54 PM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
OMG I can't believe some of the things in this thread. Down shift to your little heart's content and for God's sake, don't let an internet thread keep you from getting a manual transmission.

I've ALWAYS downshifted in my cars, trucks, and SUV's and have NEVER had a problem. That includes hundreds of thousands of miles while delivering pizza, towing lawn/landscape equipment, and a 3500lb boat. Sure it can cause some additional wear, but will not cause any failure unless you're a moron about it. Don't try downshifting into 2nd at 80mph, but if you're in 5th gear and drop into 4th you will not hurt a thing. I've only lost one transmission, and that was an automatic with 80k miles.

Question: Do automatic transmissions shift themselves into neautral when coasting? (I honestly would like to know)

Don't be a pansy, drive your car how you want and enjoy it. :drive:
The automatics don't shift into neutral when coasting. Depending on the throttle, load, and RPM, it may upshift when you let off the gas, or it will remain in gear.

When coming to a stop, an automatic will downshift. However, the torque converter isn't locked up in most instances so there is minimal wear to the TC clutch. I guess most people (me included) are concerned about clutch wear when downshifting coming to a stop.

I've asked people in person about this and the most common response is that they shift into neutral coming to a stop.
Old 5/29/07, 06:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mustangjack
We're not talking about downshifting into 1st on a off ramp at 70 mph. I doubt you even could. I don't even think I'd take a off ramp at 70.

But, as you enter the ramp, you drop your speed and go into 4th, you drop some more and go into 3rd. If you are not stopping you might accellerate and upshift from there. If you are stopping you continue to downshift until you can easily put it into 1st, at probably less than 10 mph, and stop. This should all be smooth. The idea of downshifting is to match your gear with your speed and rpms. Just like upshifting.

I am I missing something? I like to snap the Hurst through the gears and make the Flowmasters roar as much as the next guy, but are we driving like maniacs all the time?
+1 Who would do a downshift at that kind of speed? Best to shift down through each gear sequentially, either by floating, double clutching or rev matching.

If you drive stick and mind what the car is doing, after a few miles of city driving, you will find out quick that there are cetain speeds best to shift down to each gear and the car will tell you. She will "slip" the shifter in; - or will "resist" from it going in to the selected gear. I am always shifting somewhere and it is a wonder the numbers are not worn off the handle, lol.

Coasting to a full stop in Neutral is indeed frowned on in Europe and Canada, where I first learned. Although no matter to the car, the issue IMO is to be careful you are ot caught out of gear if you are put in a dangerous driving situation that you need to get out of.
Old 5/29/07, 07:28 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by metroplex

I've asked people in person about this and the most common response is that they shift into neutral coming to a stop.
The vast majority of people were taught improperly by someone who drives a manual improperly.

over 100 posts where a simple 'no, do not coast in neutral' is all there is to say.
Old 5/29/07, 08:12 AM
GTR Member

Thanks Kev. I've gotten used to downshifting now, but I need to somehow rev up the engine just a tad simultaneously. Heel-toe downshifting isn't too easy when my knee jabs up against the steering column.
Old 5/29/07, 08:18 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Now this has surfaced again, I am going to move it to the correct forum.

J
Old 5/29/07, 08:21 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm surprised it was still around

The only vehicles that coast in neutral are CVT equipped hybrids as they use the additional brake forces to regenerate energy to charge the battery.
Old 5/29/07, 03:11 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mudshuvel319
Technically, the 'correct' way to slow down is downshifting while braking.
This is exactly how I brake.
Have done it with every car I've owned and can say it wont hurt you car.
It will also help extend the life of the brakes as the engine is doing alot of the breaking and yes it can get your butt out of trouble as it has with me.

whoops just realized this was acient......oh well
Old 5/29/07, 03:48 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I only downshift when I have to slow down, but doesn't have to stop.

If I have to stop, I just put it in neutral and use brakes.
Old 5/29/07, 04:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can tell you for a fact that downshifting regulary when you slow down wears out your transmission. I had a POS corolla when I was a teenager and I loved the way it sounded to downshift until I ruined my tranny and it locked in fourth gear. I burned out the clutch trying to limp the car home in fourth gear and even took off in forth gear up steep hills. Save money and don't try to be cool!
Old 5/30/07, 07:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mustang_lurkers
I can tell you for a fact that downshifting regulary when you slow down wears out your transmission. I had a POS corolla when I was a teenager and I loved the way it sounded to downshift until I ruined my tranny and it locked in fourth gear. I burned out the clutch trying to limp the car home in fourth gear and even took off in forth gear up steep hills. Save money and don't try to be cool!

Did the Corolla have advanced syncromesh and dual syncroes on the power gears? My Family drove stick all the time while I was growing up and my Dad is a Mechanic in many disciplines. I did not see him need to fix their cars because the syncroes went out. Yes, clutches do wear and brake pads are cheaper, but if done correctly, each can last long. You are right in suggesting there is stress on the trans, but more frequent trans maint. should take care of it.

When the Automatics came to the East Coast of Canada they were all the rage and the "latest and greatest" new car thing. Soon after I heard Dad talk more about transmissions. Remember, on the East Coast of Canada, we had a lot of European influence and was the later group to see the Automatics go mainstream. As with Europe, it was mainly because they were expensive to ship there and the added option added even more to the price of the car.
Old 6/4/07, 05:21 AM
GTR Member

I think a lot of people recommended revving up the engine before downshifting.

How do you do this while braking w/o doing heel-toe downshifting and allow the clutch to live a long long life?
Old 6/4/07, 06:47 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i would've thought that for extreme stopping, to get the shortest distance possible, you'd want to disengage the clutch. Sure engine braking can help slow you down, but disengaging the clutch reduces the effective inertia of the vehicle. If the drivetrain is all engaged, the brakes will have to slow down both the car and the rotating and reciprocating parts in the drivetrain. Whereas if you depress the clutch or leave it in neutral, my guess is that you'd stop quicker in an emergency stop.
This is a whole different story than regular driving, but I'd love to know what the car magazine guys do when they're testing 60-0 distances. My bet is that they are not downshifting.
Old 6/4/07, 08:20 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 148 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by mustang_sallad
This is a whole different story than regular driving, but I'd love to know what the car magazine guys do when they're testing 60-0 distances. My bet is that they are not downshifting.
good point .. i doubt they say ,,that they could have knocked off an extra ten feet had they had time to down shift 5-4-3-2-1-.. i would think gears are formed for natural wear in the pulling or going foward mode and not so much designed for proper wear in the down shift mode .. perhaps some old style straight cut gears for racing are meant for up and down shifts .. what do you think
Old 6/4/07, 10:42 AM
GTR Member

I found that I had to push down on the brake pedal even harder if I disengaged the clutch or shifted into neutral while braking. If I kept it in 5th gear all the way until it almost stalls out, I didn't have to use my brakes as much.

Now, for all those that are downshifting as they come to a stop, are you doing heel-toe downshifting or are you just straight downshifting? I've had to downshift coming to a stop when I know the light is going to change, and I cannot do heel-toe downshifting. Should I just let the RPMs drop really low and downshift (say, below 1000 RPM)?

This is not the same as downshifting into high RPMs on the highway to pass someone (I usually rev match or double clutch).
Old 6/4/07, 11:48 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Now we're talking about downshifting through the gears during panic stops???

Old 6/4/07, 01:24 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 148 Likes on 112 Posts
i brake with my left foot so i dont down shift ..my right foot stays on the gas pedal to keep my over cammed over rich carbed engine running ..
Old 6/4/07, 04:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
I found that I had to push down on the brake pedal even harder if I disengaged the clutch or shifted into neutral while braking. If I kept it in 5th gear all the way until it almost stalls out, I didn't have to use my brakes as much.

Now, for all those that are downshifting as they come to a stop, are you doing heel-toe downshifting or are you just straight downshifting? I've had to downshift coming to a stop when I know the light is going to change, and I cannot do heel-toe downshifting. Should I just let the RPMs drop really low and downshift (say, below 1000 RPM)?

This is not the same as downshifting into high RPMs on the highway to pass someone (I usually rev match or double clutch).
Letting the car wind down before braking requires less brake, but takes more time is all.

Heel and toe for when you know the light will change and no full stop needed. Or, let the rpms drop first and then downshift. This takes a bit more time though.
Old 6/8/07, 03:00 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The rules governing driving in most U.S. States and Canadian Provinces state clearly that as long as you are driving in traffic you should keep the car in gear. The simple reason is control: if something happens suddenly you can get the car moving much faster if it's already in gear.

In all my years driving a standard transmission, I have never prematurely worn a clutch by downshifting while slowing the vehicle. Usually I do it in concert with braking. Like anything else, it's common sense >> for example, you wouldn't slow the car on the highway by suddenly dumping it from 4th to 2nd while doing 80 MPH.
Old 6/8/07, 08:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
An oldie but a goodie - see here for article

Quick Reply: Manual Driving question downshifting to brake