General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

JD Power: GTO Best "Sporty Car"

Search this Thread

Old 10/14/04, 04:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another bit from CNN/Money.com... I'm not sure if the Mustang 05 was included in this group. If it was I question JD Power's sanity for naming a Bonneville/Grand Am clone that only carries a bigger engine and dual exhaust.

Anycase... Here it is if anyone is interested...

Linky

Post 2.0: Link fixed
Old 10/14/04, 04:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

yeah...i'd hope the 05 stang wasn't eligible for this yet. because clearly it would pwn.

:worship:
Old 10/14/04, 04:23 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
link doesn't work and it belongs in general vehicle discussion

:P
Old 10/14/04, 04:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ooops, I posted it in relevence to the 05 Stang. But ohwell.
Old 10/14/04, 04:44 PM
Cobra R Member

JD power is a survey of quality and customer satisfaction. The 05 would not have been included, and i think that the things we don't like about the GTO have anything to do with JD Power surveys.

This year's surveys, by the way, had ford ahead of the likes of Mercedes and Audi and so forth. In fact, the american ford brands were all ahead of the PAG brands. These "luxury" cars apparently have lots of problems. I doubt many people would have guess these results.
Old 10/14/04, 06:56 PM
Bullitt Member

You have to remember that the survey is of owners, not the general public. I like my GTO, if you haven't driven one, you should try it. I don't bleed Ford blue, or GM red, or any other colors. I buy what I think are good products. I like the sleek styling of the GTO and I also like the retro styling of the Mustang. My GTO has a very good feel to it, nice interior, good horsepower, 6 speed.

Oh well, to each his own.
Old 10/15/04, 10:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Flyinlow@October 14, 2004, 6:59 PM
You have to remember that the survey is of owners, not the general public. I like my GTO, if you haven't driven one, you should try it. I don't bleed Ford blue, or GM red, or any other colors. I buy what I think are good products. I like the sleek styling of the GTO and I also like the retro styling of the Mustang. My GTO has a very good feel to it, nice interior, good horsepower, 6 speed.

Oh well, to each his own.
The only Ford I would EVER buy is the Mustang. I personally have no brand loyalty to any manufacture when it comes to cars. IMO the GTO could have been styled at least a little bit. To me it just looks like very other car in their lineup. The only difference is the badging reads GTO.
Old 10/15/04, 01:37 PM
Cobra R Member

i personally like sleepers.
I'd much rather a fast car that doesn't look it, than a slow car that's trying to look like its fast.
At the same time, it is nice to have a car with styling that isn't entirely bland. I think the GTO is on the bland side, but I'd rather a bland car than say a mustang v6 with hood and side scoops.

I don't like pretending to be something i'm not, i'd rather hold back and blow everyone's head off with surprise when they see my real potential.

As far as this is concerned, i'd rather have a mustang. But to say JD Power is on crack is a little silly. JD Power is thousands of people saying their happier with this car than others are with other cars. Keep in mind that the 05 mustang would not've been included just yet. Wait for a year to pass by to see how ford's position in these polls improves, thanks to the mustang and the other new products which seem so far to be quite an improvement in the areas which JD Power is concerned with.
Old 10/15/04, 11:34 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by mustang_sallad@October 15, 2004, 3:40 PM
...than a slow car that's trying to look like its fast...
RICE!! :R:
Old 10/16/04, 09:06 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I actually like the GTO a lot, especially the one done in bright orange with ram air that surfaced awhile back... it was really nice.
Old 10/23/04, 04:13 PM
Cobra Member

My complaint about the GTO is about its styling, not its quality. And J D Powers is a very reputable source of owner supplied information, not a general poll of guys who like Mustangs.

Ford has come a long way in quality control and next year I wouldn't be surprised to see the Mustang get very favorables reviews from people who have owned them. But in my mind, the first 90 days or even one year aren't the most telling time periods. It's how a car holds up over a period of years that matters to me.

My 95 GT vert has done well over the 65K miles it has. A few minor things, sure, but nothing like my friends who have a Mercedes or BMW have experienced. And repairs have been a fraction of the cost.

People can p and m forever because the cup holder won't hold a 64 oz drink, and they can niggle you to death about squeaks and rattles. What I want is an inexpensive and fun car to drive, and my Mustang still gets to the top of my wish list when I factor all those in.

J D Powers has never asked me about that.