General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

I bought a BEATER!!! lol...

Search this Thread

Old 1/11/16, 03:51 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
I bought a BEATER!!! lol...

I couldn't take it anymore. Driving my pristine vehicles in winter is driving me nuts, especially my latest vehicle. So that being said... I went ahead and found and purchased a (drum roll)....

1993 Geo Prizm Lsi (ooooooohhhhh...Lsi). LOL.

Just look at these SPEC's man!!!

Exterior Measurements
WIDTH5 ft. 6.4 in. (66.4 in.) HEIGHT4 ft. 4.8 in. (52.8 in.)
LENGTH14 ft. 4.7 in. (172.7 in.) WHEEL BASE8 ft. 1.1 in. (97.1 in.)
Interior Measurements
FRONT HEAD ROOM 38.9 in. FRONT HIP ROOM 51.3 in.
FRONT LEG ROOM 42.5 in. FRONT SHOULDER ROOM 53.8 in.
REAR HIP ROOM 54.3 in. REAR HEAD ROOM 37.1 in.
REAR LEG ROOM 33.0 in. REAR SHOULDER ROOM 53.3 in.
Fuel
ENGINE TYPE Gas FUEL TYPE Regular unleaded
FUEL TANK CAPACITY 13.2 gal. RANGE IN MILES (CTY/HWY) 303.6/409.2 mi.
EPA MILEAGE EST. (CTY/HWY) 23/31 mpg
Weights and Capacities
CURB WEIGHT 2359 lbs. CARGO CAPACITY, ALL SEATS IN PLACE 12.7 cu.ft.
DriveTrain
DRIVE TYPE Front wheel drive TRANSMISSION 5-speed manual
Engine & Performance
BASE ENGINE SIZE 1.6 L CYLINDERS Inline 4
TORQUE 100 ft-lbs. @ 4800 rpm HORSEPOWER 105 hp @ 5800 rpm
TURNING CIRCLE 31.5 ft.

Best part is that it's a 5 speed manual too It's got 116k miles, and it was owned by a fellow engineer here, and he had it since BRAND NEW since 1993. So I knew I was in for a treat. LOL. It's got some rust here and there, and the rear pass door won't open from the outside, but hey, other than that, she's solid! I'm thrilled I'll never have to wash it. Plus, I can KICK the door shut and not flinch.

I'm so stoked. I pick this bad boy up Friday. Her name? Precious. Either that or Golem. "Geo Prizm"... the letters match. hehehehe. And it's BLACK too!!! woot woot
Attached Images  
Old 1/11/16, 04:28 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,199 Posts
HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Killer specs! lol That was fast Burton.
Congrats and good luck.
Old 1/11/16, 08:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
I'm... sorta jealous. In a weird sort of way.

Very nice, though, for a beater!
Old 1/11/16, 11:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Congrats.... :-)
Old 1/12/16, 04:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
Considering it's a re-badged Toyota Corolla, you did good.

Throw some snow tires on it though, cuz you'll not be happy with its snow traction otherwise.
Had an '89 Corolla in the family (Mom's, bought new, traded in 2009 with 36k miles on it). Great car.
Old 1/12/16, 05:34 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
My mother had one of those years ago. Very reliable since it (as Gabe mentioned) was a rebadged Toyota Corolla.
Old 1/12/16, 07:44 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They are good beater cars i use to sell them back in the day.
Old 1/12/16, 09:17 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Stage_3
HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Killer specs! lol That was fast Burton.
Congrats and good luck.
Hehe thanks Tony! Heck yes it was fast. Wait, what was fast? You mean the Prizm itself and not the decision/search to buy one right?

As far as the specs you like that? If you noticed, the curb weight was 2300 lbs! In fact, it's probably even lighter than that now because of some minor rust in the right rear fender well.

Originally Posted by houtex
I'm... sorta jealous. In a weird sort of way.

Very nice, though, for a beater!
Hah! Be jealous of my beater! seriously though I have been waiting SO long to get a beater. I wanted one the whole time I owned that TSX since new, but never found one. This one was just perfect and timely. He asked for a certain amount I offered lower, and voila. Lol. One owner for 22 years? Come on... Who would NOT jump on that? And only 116k miles.

Originally Posted by Plim
Congrats.... :-)
Thanks Pascal! How you been buddy?

Originally Posted by Gabe
Considering it's a re-badged Toyota Corolla, you did good.

Throw some snow tires on it though, cuz you'll not be happy with its snow traction otherwise.
Had an '89 Corolla in the family (Mom's, bought new, traded in 2009 with 36k miles on it). Great car.
Ah, that's why it looked familiar to me. So the Prizm at that time was a Toyota too huh? Very cool. Yeah the engine was just SO SOLID. When I drove it, it was smooooooth. He just replaced tranny and coolant fluid, then put a new clutch a year or so ago. So it is very good mechanical shape.

Originally Posted by SpectreH
My mother had one of those years ago. Very reliable since it (as Gabe mentioned) was a rebadged Toyota Corolla.
Thanks buddy! Seems like a lot of folks/moms have these cars. Lol.

Originally Posted by Chad@Amp'D
They are good beater cars i use to sell them back in the day.
You sold Geo Prizms??? Wow. That's wild. How much were they new?
Old 1/12/16, 02:39 PM
I Have No Life

Another update for you guys... I pinged the owner regarding a few things. I asked him when the last time the following maintenance items were performed (= and his response):

Coolant fluid = 1 year ago
Tranny fluid = 3 years ago
Power steering fluid = doesn't recall
Brake fluid = doesn't recall
shocks/struts = 11 years
Brakes = replaced once, but doesn't recall

So... My plan of attack as soon as I get it Friday would be to:

1) Change oil
2) Have brake fluid flushed/changed. I was debating doing it myself, but I think I'll just take it to Meineke/other shop to have it done. What you think? Not worth doing it myself imo.
3) I'll check the brakes, at least up front, make sure they're ok. The rears are drums so I'm HOPING I don't ever have to change that as long as I'm owning it. This car will LITERALLY just be used to drive back and forth to work about 4 miles one way. That's it.

What you guys think of the approach? Anything else I may be missing?
Old 1/12/16, 03:09 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Hehe thanks Tony! Heck yes it was fast. Wait, what was fast? You mean the Prizm itself and not the decision/search to buy one right?
As far as the specs you like that? If you noticed, the curb weight was 2300 lbs! In fact, it's probably even lighter than that now because of some minor rust in the right rear fender well.
HA HAAAAAAAAAAA
Awesome bro. Weight reduction!
Old 1/12/16, 05:30 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Wow, killer ride.
Old 1/12/16, 08:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

yeah, lots of travel for work, haven't even been visiting the cars and coffee events. I need to read up on what's going on here.. I have spent some time on one of the Ford Edge forums. We have just bought a new 2015 Edge Titanium, with nearly all options, including an annoying rattle! So I need to get that sorted out. It drives me nuts when I drive the car. I've driven my mustang so little this year, that the last time I drove it the battery was nearly not strong enough to crank the engine... I also had to look into a battery tender. Do you have similar issue with the battery? My car only has 18 K miles on it and is three years old in April (drove 2K last year).

Last edited by Plim; 1/12/16 at 08:43 PM.
Old 1/13/16, 05:19 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Your plan of attack sounds good. My friend who helped with the ProCharger install (he did 70% of the work) is a mechanic. Whenever he buys a used car, he changes all of the fluids, filters, belts, and hoses for the peace of mind.

Last edited by SpectreH; 1/13/16 at 05:21 AM.
Old 1/13/16, 05:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL right on!
Old 1/13/16, 07:10 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Stage_3
HA HAAAAAAAAAAA
Awesome bro. Weight reduction!
thanks buddy! Yeah, don't be surprised if I show up to one of the autocross events with Precious. At 2300lbs, I will destroy them all with my 105hp and rusty fenders. Buckle up.

Originally Posted by MadGT
Wow, killer ride.
Thanks man! I hope it doesn't "kill" me when I drive it.

yeah, lots of travel for work, haven't even been visiting the cars and coffee events. I need to read up on what's going on here.. I have spent some time on one of the Ford Edge forums. We have just bought a new 2015 Edge Titanium, with nearly all options, including an annoying rattle! So I need to get that sorted out. It drives me nuts when I drive the car. I've driven my mustang so little this year, that the last time I drove it the battery was nearly not strong enough to crank the engine... I also had to look into a battery tender. Do you have similar issue with the battery? My car only has 18 K miles on it and is three years old in April (drove 2K last year).
Congrats on the new Edge!!! How you like it? We looked at that too, and we liked it, but it only seated 5. Not sure if you saw my other thread in the General Chat section (and why I bought this beater in the first place)... I got a 2015 Infiniti QX60. We love it. I just can't subject Quincy to the harshness of winter, and 8 miles of driving daily and parking it in the lot just ready to get destroyed by stupid co-workers. When I get this beater, they can door ding the living crap out of it... I'll even help.

Sorry to hear about your rattle. For a new car? I'd get that taken care of asap. And if it doesn't get fixed, lemon it out. Get a new one

Originally Posted by SpectreH
Your plan of attack sounds good. My friend who helped with the ProCharger install (he did 70% of the work) is a mechanic. Whenever he buys a used car, he changes all of the fluids, filters, belts, and hoses for the peace of mind.
Man, I wish I had more mechanic friends lol. I think at the price I paid for it though, it may not be worth it all THAT much to change the belts, etc. Might be more expensive than the car is worth, to do all that. LOL.

Originally Posted by Ricochet
LOL right on!
thanks bro!
Old 1/13/16, 09:42 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hah! Be jealous of my beater! seriously though I have been waiting SO long to get a beater. I wanted one the whole time I owned that TSX since new, but never found one. This one was just perfect and timely. He asked for a certain amount I offered lower, and voila. Lol. One owner for 22 years? Come on... Who would NOT jump on that? And only 116k miles.

Ah, that's why it looked familiar to me. So the Prizm at that time was a Toyota too huh? Very cool. Yeah the engine was just SO SOLID. When I drove it, it was smooooooth. He just replaced tranny and coolant fluid, then put a new clutch a year or so ago. So it is very good mechanical shape.

Thanks buddy! Seems like a lot of folks/moms have these cars. Lol.

You sold Geo Prizms??? Wow. That's wild. How much were they new?
I can't really remember 15k not sure.
Old 1/13/16, 02:56 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

thanks buddy! Yeah, don't be surprised if I show up to one of the autocross events with Precious. At 2300lbs, I will destroy them all with my 105hp and rusty fenders. Buckle up.
LOL
Old 1/15/16, 01:02 PM
I Have No Life

I pick up Precious tonight....... Call me crazy, but I'm kindda excited. Hopefully she starts up and I can drive her home. HAHA. Just in time for a -9F temp high on Sunday. Wonderful. She stays parked outside!!!
Old 1/15/16, 03:01 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

I pick up Precious tonight....... Call me crazy, but I'm kindda excited. Hopefully she starts up and I can drive her home. HAHA. Just in time for a -9F temp high on Sunday. Wonderful. She stays parked outside!!!
LOL
Good luck with "Precious". lol
Old 1/16/16, 08:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Let me guess: rattle from the rear drivers or passengers door over 40mph?
That is a little plastic piece on the floor (in front of the tank) that is only secured by a push pin and gets loose. Some silicone as additional adhesive and it's gone.
LEXiiON

Quick Reply: I bought a BEATER!!! lol...