General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

How many would buy....

Search this Thread

Old 3/19/05, 07:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My first car was a 76 Camaro LT. Would have definately considered it, but it would have had to be utterly spectacular to compete.
Old 3/19/05, 08:06 PM
FR500 Member

I had a '70 Camaro LT.....it was a very nice looking car. 350 V-8, not especially fast or quick...got about ten miles to the gallon and went through tires quicker than anything I've ever owned. Nice car, but not standing in line for another!
Old 3/19/05, 09:30 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sure GM has noticed that the new mustang is the hottest thing since sliced bread and if GM wants to get on the band wagon it will have to be a rear wheel drive retro of its best selling year of Camaro to make things exciting again .Not like the patch up charger job :notnice: .
If there are any truth to the rumors that are going around we could see a Camaro by 2007.
Here's a pic of one that was on this site a while ago.
Old 3/19/05, 09:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Well the best year of camaros IMO and other people think this too would be the 69 camaro yanko edition, was a beautiful car and the onyl car that could compete in the looks if it went against the mustang now.
Old 3/19/05, 09:40 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

if it looked like that or like this then maybe.
Old 3/19/05, 09:47 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think we have the same car Manny ,except mines in color
Old 3/19/05, 09:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

I hate to admit it, but I may have. I'm not a Chevy guy. I definitely bleed blue. However I'm more into ci/ NA engines than Forced Induction. And to be perfectly honest, if Chevy had something to offer during those weeks when I didn't know where/if my car was after I ordered, I'd have definitely visited a Chevy dealership. If the car was as good as some of the retro-camaro chops I've seen, It lacked a shoebox under the carpet on the passenger side and it had more NA potential who knows what could've happened?
Old 3/19/05, 09:53 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

In a way I wish Chevy had one, because i'm sure they would take a few sales away, making Mustang's have a shorter wait.
So, i'm not sure if it's a bad/good thing for Chevy being so dumb in the business lol
Old 3/19/05, 10:01 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Never been GM guy at all, but I think that if GM were to come out w/ a good competitior it would lessen our waits. A lot of people would opt for the Chevy I'm sure.
Old 3/19/05, 10:06 PM
Bullitt Member

The 2005 Mustang has really changed my perception of what I look for in a car. If GM were to come out with a similar upgrade to the 67' Cam I'd be very interesed. It's one of the first family cars I can remember, to oh, way back when I was about three, and have my first memory sittin on pa's lap and steering the wheel ...

I don't think there's any chane of swaying me from my LL GT Mustang right now, but the Camaro I won't disount right now or in the future.
Old 3/19/05, 10:13 PM
GT Member

No matter how hard they try GM will never be able to produce a car that would be equal to the mustang (IMO). There is nothing that could ever make me buy any GM product (save for the corvette). I would shop foreign b4 I bought a GM product.
Old 3/19/05, 10:28 PM

There was an article on the Chicago Tribune stating today that the GM platform code named Zeta(RWD car, supposedly the ground work for the rumored 2007 Camaro) has stopped development. This effectively kills any chance for the Camaro's return in the near future.

Entire article quoted below.

GM halts rear-wheel-drive project
Says decision made in '04 on Zeta platform

By Jim Mateja
Tribune auto reporter
Published March 19, 2005

General Motors confirmed Friday that it has stopped development on vehicles being designed for a new rear-wheel-drive platform in the North American market.

Sources said the move is not related to financial woes and the company's projected loss of $850 million for this year. They said the decision to stop developing cars on the platform, code-named Zeta, was made last year.

Zeta was believed to be the platform GM was going to use for the next-generation Pontiac GTO as well as possibly a pair of new Buick offerings, the Velite sedan and convertible, and maybe a midsize, performance Chevrolet sedan.

GM was developing the platform in cooperation with its Holden subsidiary in Australia, which still will use it. GM reportedly had plans to build the cars for North America in the United States, though it now gets the GTO from Australia. GM would not say how much it hopes to save with the move.

Sources said that though GM is re-evaluating just about every product program since cutting its annual profit forecast in half this week, the decision was made in December to halt development.

"We're going to re-evaluate our programs for midsize, rear-wheel-drive products for North America," said GM spokesman Pat Morrissey. "The resources on Zeta are going to be reassigned to other North American products that will have a more significant impact on volume and profit."

The "other products" are full-size sport-utility vehicles due for the 2006 model year and full-size pickups for 2007--cash cows not only at GM but also in the auto industry.

Morrissey said GM will look at the best way to add rear-wheel-drive cars in North America. A rear-wheel-drive platform is important because it offers the option of all-wheel-drive, which is proving popular in passenger cars. He also didn't rule out Velite and GTO being built off another GM platform.

"We have other RWD platforms and are looking at our options," Morrissey said, which include developing more vehicles off a Cadillac platform that can provide rear-wheel- and all-wheel-drive. The so-called Sigma platform is now used to produce the CTS and STS sedans, and SRX sport-utility vehicle.

Some observers suggest GM scrapped what was to be a low-volume Zeta lineup to turn to a platform that could accommodate higher-volume cars, crossovers and SUVs in rear- and all-wheel-drive.

David Cole, chairman of the Center for Automotive Research in Ann Arbor, Mich., says this is no surprise, considering GM was not gaining market share or filling its coffers last year, either. "I'm also not surprised that they'd look at an AWD platform as well," he said. "The Ford Five Hundred and Freestyle and Mercury Montego have proved AWD is much more popular than people thought it would be. AWD in cars has really caught on."

Ford expected AWD to account for about 30 percent of sales of those vehicles, but demand is exceeding 40 percent.
Old 3/19/05, 10:32 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by hootie51@March 19, 2005, 11:16 PM
I would shop foreign b4 I bought a GM product.
i dont get wuts with people like u, why do u have a "thing" for Ford, why do people have a "thing" for chevy..etc

i dont understand why u people like that like a certain company and wont buy a car unless that company makes it. if i like the car, its not gona matter much wut company makes it (or which country the company is in)
i like the Ford Mustang, then again i dont like the Ford Windstar, im not gona like the car just because Ford makes it

anyways, when chevy unveals there new Camaro ill make my decesion on whether ill get the Mustang or Camaro, ive always loved the Mustang, but cmon i duno how u guys can hate the Camaro
Old 3/19/05, 10:40 PM
Bullitt Member

i have no desire to grow the required mullet to have a "CA'MARA"

i would wait for the mustang...

even though i got mine off the floor...
Old 3/19/05, 10:42 PM

Nope, I wouldn't have a Camaro. Owned two in the past and must admit the "67 was a cool car, but then there was the '71...YUCK! The integrity was the absolute pits. I felt like I was riding a carpeted sled!! There is nothing to compare to the Mustang and the sooner the competition figures that out, the better!!
Old 3/19/05, 10:43 PM
I lust for a M24

Psycho, it's called loyalty. Some people have it, some people don't. Also, I don't care for GM dash layouts, they always seem cheap and disoranized. Just my opinion. With the only exceptions of a 'Vette and H2, I've never been in a GM that I've liked. No Chevy, Pontiac, Buick, Olds, GMC... none of them.
Old 3/19/05, 10:54 PM

As someone who "had" a "thing" for chevy... not really sure I can say why. My first car was an 82 Chevy El Camino which I owned for over 10 years and only sold a few years ago. My current car, as one can tell, is an 88 Caddy. For the most part, I've been a Chevy guy all my life, never really understanding what guys see in Fords. My father was a Ford man & had nothing but problems with his p/u's. I always considered myself a chevy guy and never really diging anything Ford had to offer (ford alwyas stood for "F**king Owners Really Desperate" in my book). Ironic thing was, both my first & current vehicle were purchased from my Ford owning father.

All this changed when I saw the 05 mustang. Closest I can come to describing it was love at first sight. HP wasnt all that, as far as Im concerned... the car just had a soul like nothing I had ever seen. I remember the first time I had seen a mustang on TV was the first time I saw the movie "Iron Eagle" and I thought to myself "man, that car is hot!"

I talked to my mother the other day & she owned a 68 mustang... 68 or 69, I forget... it seems history repeats itself. My 05 has been on order since 2/18. As a former chevy fanatic, I have been firmly converted. Even if chevy had some sort of camero available right now, I wouldnt revert & order one of those. I like the looks of the photo-chop that was done on what maybe a new camero... but honestly... Im hooked on an 05-06 mustang. Its what I dream about at night, its what I think about during the day... it has, in a word, consumed me.

The current GTO is a slap in the face to GM fans out there. Where I live in AK, we pretty much only have one of each dealer... & the service dept of the GM dealer blows. Honestly, thats besides the point... the current GTO has no soul... there is no feel to this vehicle. It screams econobox to me. A redesigned old-school camero... well, I welcome such a car, but my decision has been made... I will wear my FORD badge & I will wear it with PRIDE!
Old 3/19/05, 11:04 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by 05GT-O.C.D.@March 19, 2005, 11:46 PM
Psycho, it's called loyalty. Some people have it, some people don't.
i can undestand being loyal to a certain car, but not an entire company
Old 3/19/05, 11:05 PM
Cobra Member

only if its a Black WS6 or SS LS1
Old 3/19/05, 11:10 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally posted by Psycho911+March 20, 2005, 1:07 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Psycho911 @ March 20, 2005, 1:07 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-05GT-O.C.D.@March 19, 2005, 11:46 PM
Psycho, it's called loyalty. Some people have it, some people don't.
i can undestand being loyal to a certain car, but not an entire company
[/b][/quote]

Let's put it this way... My first car was an 84 Tempo, my second car was an 89 Tempo, my third car was a 94 Tempo, my fourth car was a 92 T-Bird, my fifth car was a 94 Ranger.... Next I got a 98 Jeep Wrangler, then a 99 Ford Ranger, and now and still have a 99 Wrangler. But... going back to Ford. 3 Tempo's... I need help.

Quick Reply: How many would buy....