General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

How many would buy....

Search this Thread

Old 3/19/05, 05:15 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was complaining to my friend the other day about the wait for the 05s, and the fact that I really loved this car, and there is NO competition for it in its price range. He said that he bet GM was kicking itself for not having a "pony" car answer to the mustang right now. He opined that if there was a firebird or camaro with 300+ hp, people that were pissed about waiting for the mustang could and would go across the street to the Chevy/Pontiac dealership. My question is, honestly, would you do it? I think I would, so long as the camaro/firebird was not butt ugly. I have no loyalty Ford. I was just curious to see if you all thought my friend was right.

Also, as an aside, do you think if the mustang had any competition Ford would be doing a better job of actually getting the cars to the people that have already agreed to buy them? Right now, they are losing very little sales because of their faulty distribution network. Do you think it would be fixed quickly if they were actually losing sales to a competitor?
Old 3/19/05, 05:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

hmm tough. im just not a chevy guy. camaroes a nice car but rides funny imo. bros got a 99 z28. i do liek the t-tops tho. always liekd that better than the vert option
Old 3/19/05, 05:20 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've never been a Chevy guy
Old 3/19/05, 05:26 PM
Bullitt Member

If it were to look anything like the current GTO, there's NO WAY
Old 3/19/05, 05:30 PM
I'm people, and I like.

I think that maybe if there was a marobird available, there wouldnt be as many orders for the GT, and people wouldnt be waiting as long. But maybe not, because this new Mustang is something else.
There have been renderings and rumors about a new marobird, but we'll just have to wait and see what comes along.
Old 3/19/05, 05:32 PM
I'm people, and I like.

oh, and to answer another of your questions... yes, i would be interested in buying a marobird if there was one, but if my heart was with the GT all along, the wait wouldnt phase me or send me to the other side.
Old 3/19/05, 05:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My first car was a 69 Z28 and I wish that I had it today. If Chevy came out with an UPDATED 69, I would have had a hard time deciding between that or the stang, but then the point is moot since there is no 2005 retro Z28 with over 300 HP. I think Chevy will probably do just that if they decide to bring the Z back. It just goes to show you that HP isn't everything. Gotta have the whole package and Ford has done that with the mustang. Can it be improved, Yep. But if you brought out the perfect car this year, what would they do for next year. You would have thought chrysler would have seen the writing on the wall (ASA GTO) but they screwed up the charger the same way pontiac did. I would think Chevy will do a re-design of the cammaro with more than 300 hp (maybe same type of GTO engine) but with the correct body dynamics. Tiime will tell.
Old 3/19/05, 05:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by harleybill@March 19, 2005, 7:40 PM
My first car was a 69 Z28 and I wish that I had it today. If Chevy came out with an UPDATED 69, I would have had a hard time deciding between that or the stang, but then the point is moot since there is no 2005 retro Z28 with over 300 HP. I think Chevy will probably do just that if they decide to bring the Z back. It just goes to show you that HP isn't everything. Gotta have the whole package and Ford has done that with the mustang. Can it be improved, Yep. But if you brought out the perfect car this year, what would they do for next year. You would have thought chrysler would have seen the writing on the wall (ASA GTO) but they screwed up the charger the same way pontiac did. I would think Chevy will do a re-design of the cammaro with more than 300 hp (maybe same type of GTO engine) but with the correct body dynamics. Tiime will tell.
nicely put
Old 3/19/05, 05:40 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by KansasCityTim@March 19, 2005, 6:18 PM
I was complaining to my friend the other day about the wait for the 05s, and the fact that I really loved this car, and there is NO competition for it in its price range. He said that he bet GM was kicking itself for not having a "pony" car answer to the mustang right now. He opined that if there was a firebird or camaro with 300+ hp, people that were pissed about waiting for the mustang could and would go across the street to the Chevy/Pontiac dealership. My question is, honestly, would you do it? I think I would, so long as the camaro/firebird was not butt ugly. I have no loyalty Ford. I was just curious to see if you all thought my friend was right.

Also, as an aside, do you think if the mustang had any competition Ford would be doing a better job of actually getting the cars to the people that have already agreed to buy them? Right now, they are losing very little sales because of their faulty distribution network. Do you think it would be fixed quickly if they were actually losing sales to a competitor?
First of all, there is no other car with the heritage of the Mustang outside the Corvette, which has never sold close to as many units as Mustang, so sales have very little to do with tha lack of a Camaro/Firebird (IMHO). There are already several much better competitors; i.e. GTO, 305Z, RX8. You can go buy one of those if you can't stand the wait.
Second, I'm curious to your definition of "faulty distribution network"? Do you mean they should make a car for someone you know before someone you don't know? Ford will build more Mustangs this year than they have in several years. Supply just can't catch up with demand yet. Ford is building them. BE PATIENT!!!
Old 3/19/05, 05:40 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Why stop at a GTO engine? how about a Vette engine! :P
now that would be nice
Old 3/19/05, 05:45 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm stuck on my stang. Just the retro styling alone. The cockpit of a car is what grabs me also. I've seen all the new cars at the Philly Auto Show, Corvettes, Porche, etc. Though the dashboards looked great, it was the same design cues I've sat behind for 11 years with my Firebird. The Mustang was just a fresh difference for me.
Old 3/19/05, 05:47 PM
Bullitt Member

if they build it, it will far outsell the gto. (assuming retro early camero) question can they build one that is priced right like the mustang? ford hit a home run on this one. :w00t:
Old 3/19/05, 05:59 PM
V6 Member

I always wanted a 69-70 Mustang. When I started to look for one in the late 70's, they were all pretty much rust buckets, hence the term Rustang you hear. I ended up with a '73 Mach but it rusted pretty bad also. Finally got tired of the body repairs and got rid of it. You guys don't realize how much better todays cars are with respect to rust than they were years ago. My '73 had holes in the Quarter panels after just 4 years. You just don't see stuff like that anymore.

In '85, I wanted a new Mustang badly when they came out with the headers and roller lifters from the factory. They were so god awful ugly though that I got an IROC instead. Still have her with 18,000 miles.

Which brings us to today. If I had the choice, there is no doubt I would take the new style Mustang over a Camaro any day. Hoping they come out with a Mach or Boss and there will be one sitting in my garage to replace the old IROC. It's been a long wait but that may finally be over. :yes:
Old 3/19/05, 05:59 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
The wait alone wouldn't make me buy a Camaro. (see screen name)
Nothing against Camaro's. In fact I like them. What can I say? I'm a car guy. I also like Corvettes and Vipers and Ferrari's and...
Ford would have to really screw up the Mustang and Chevy do an OUSTANDING job on the Camaro for me to buy one. Hey I bought an '03 didn't I? (not the highest quality workmanship in those)
Old 3/19/05, 06:02 PM
Bullitt Member

It's an all new car and the hard core Mustang fans want it. As you can see from my sig I have had a few of them and there has been many more in the family. It's like when the pt curser came out if you must have one now you can pay big bucks for it but if you can hold off you can get one with out over paying.
I ordered mine and it took almost 4 months to get it. There is nothing wrong with the distribution it's not like they are making hot wheels it takes time to build a real car. Like pacettr said " Ford will build more Mustangs this year than they have in several years".
And no I would never drive a chevy. I have never had a major problem with Ford products. It's like any car on the market (even the Japanese cars) there are some minor problems. There was a time when the Japanese cars were a higher quality but those day are long gone.

Just me 2 cents
Old 3/19/05, 06:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

In software it is called competing with vapor ware, it is always better than reality. That is all the Camaro is right now vapor ware. I’d just like to say BRING IT ON!

Camaro’s best years are when they copied the Mustang almost exactly, dose anyone else remember the 1969 magazine cover that spliced the 69 Mustang and 69 Camaro together?

That’s what they would need to do again just copy the 2005 Mustang move the grill out to the other side of he headlights, get rid of the fastback.

Why stop there, BRING ON all of the plastic ponies. My Pony will be the real pony, the Mustang.
Old 3/19/05, 06:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

--------------------

Currently, 1998 Mustang GT, Dark Atlantic Blue, Graphite Leather Interior, 5-Speed

Ordered (1/22/05), 2005 Mustang GT Premium Convertible, Torch Red, Charcoal Leather, Black Top, IUP, Bullits, Stick, Active Anti-Theft Currently C/U.

Okay, you ordered your car on 1/22/05 and are complaining about the wait for the car to be built and delivered, and I understand how you feel as I went thru the same thing as did most of the people here.
I ordered my car on 10/20, got the DORA and Vin on 11/4 then waited until the status changed from Temp Delay to Scheduled for build week of 12/13 and got the car 12/28.
Lots of people here that ordered in September and before are STILL waiting in the same status as your car C/U.

Did I consider cancelling my order and either buying off the lot or buying another brand? NO. I have to admit that it was a long wait and it kind of bugged me that lots of other people that ordered AFTER I placed mine were coming here and posting 'I got a build date' or 'my car is here'...and they ordered after I did and their car was almost exactly what I ordered...but I stuck it out and waited, and I have to say it was worth the wait.
Old 3/19/05, 07:05 PM
Cobra Member

I don't keep my eggs in one basket, I like alot of cars for different reasons. I got to drive a friends 89-91(?) IROC, the style with the 2 black louver stripes on the hood back around 10 years ago and really loved that car, and still like the body style, shame most have been all boogared up these days. When I was a kid I always thought the Camaro was a cheap immitation of the trans am/firebird, which because of smokey and the bandit, I LOVED that 77 T/A.

So I don't discriminate against GM, but they would have had to make one heck of a sweet looking camaro to lure me away from the 05 mustang. That pontiac comercial for the 2001 or 2002 (forget) trans am was bad ****, but it never stirred me to consider buying one.

I honestly didn't buy the Mustang for the power, it was a big selling point but I saw a picture of it on the net and knew I had to have one, it's a more primal thing rather than brand loyalty. I always dug the classic mustang fast backs but don't have the time or know how to keep up a classic car, so buying one brand new was a no brainer.

My dad was a big Ford guy, I really wish he was around to see it.
Old 3/19/05, 07:10 PM
Queen Of Nascar

I have never owned anything except Mustangs. The 05 is my 8th so probably, even if the Mustangs were but ugly, I would still be driving one.
Old 3/19/05, 07:13 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Nope, no Chevy for me.

Quick Reply: How many would buy....