General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

How to best avoid stalling/drifting from a dead spot while on a steep hill ?

Search this Thread

Old 7/9/08, 09:19 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,110 Likes on 1,695 Posts
How to best avoid stalling/drifting from a dead spot while on a steep hill ?

Although I've been driving manual's for many years, I still have problems whenever I'm at a dead spot on steep hills.

So my question is this: What is the best solution to prevent from drifting back, and stalling the vehicle while starting out from a dead spot, on a steep hill ? Anyway, thanks for all your help in advance guys.

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 7/9/08 at 09:21 PM.
Old 7/9/08, 10:01 PM
Number Cruncher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parking brake.
Has worked great for me with every manual transmission car I've owned.
Of course I also try to avoid steep hills.
Old 7/9/08, 10:02 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I hold my foot on the brake, then engage the clutch until the engine bogs a bit then off the brake while letting the clutch slip until I can move forward.
Old 7/9/08, 10:02 PM
V6 Member

Push in button and pull up hand brake.
release foot brake.
release clutch and apply gas as normal.
when you can feel the car pull against the ebrake let it down smoothly.
that is the boat ramp technique i use even in a A/T
Old 7/10/08, 04:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Rev to 2500rpm with your heel while maintaining your toes on the brake, then dump clutch and floor the loud pedal.....

I actually am fairly new to manual, however with this car I have no issues with rolling back. I simply start to let of the clutch a bit then jump off the brake and on the accelerator. Smooth start every time.

In the beginning I hated my car to be honest. I would stall the car often and the bear trap clutch didn't help much. I hated hills and inclines. However my car is a daily driver, witch means I will be stuck in traffic at least once a day and me stalling the car at every slight hill did not help the situation.

One evening when I got home from work I took my car to the steepest hill I could find. And I stopped the car on top and tried to start going up hill. I drove around the area up and down the hill for maybe an hour or two. After that, no more stalling in any circumstance. I haven't stalled my car in at least 11 months, and I owned my car for the last year about. I suggest you practice. Also the no gas start technique greatly helps. If you get good at it you can start the car with no gas in second gear. Practice makes perfect. Also don't forget that every car no matter what make model or same make model, could be made in the same day at the same place by the same workers. The clutch will feel slightly different in all of them, so practice with your car.

Hope this helps.
Old 7/10/08, 09:23 AM
Cobra Member

I just release the footbrake and grab forward momentum with the clutch and gas combo, rarely roll back at all. If someone is ON my rear I will use the parking brake to assist for ease of mind.
Old 7/10/08, 02:41 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've never had a problem w/ this car. With all the torque it's never been a problem. In other cars w/ 4cyls and weak tranny's I've used the parking break trick, but I'd say at this point I say practice.
Old 7/10/08, 09:20 PM
Cobra Member

I agree with the hand brake guys. Much easier to coordinate. Start to load the engine up against the rear brake, ease off the hand brake, squeeze on enough throttle to keep the momentum. After you practice several times it should be easy. IMPORTANT: you are not trying to slip the clutch excessively to get the car going.
Old 7/11/08, 02:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

+1 for using the handbrake. It makes steep hills sooo much easier, especially with another driver only a couple feet from your rear bumper.
Old 7/11/08, 04:52 PM
V6 Member

You can feather the gas with your right foot while holding the brake. The pedals are pretty close together. I use the same technique more or less for burn outs but you just take your foot off the brake once moving in this case.
Old 7/11/08, 05:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Living in Seattle we have a LOT of steep hills with stop signs and traffic lights right in the middle most times.

I just blip the throttle with my heel a little and right after with one swift fluid movement take my foot off the brake apply gas and let out the clutch. I grew up driving the hills of Seattle in a VW bus so I'm pretty experienced. I've never use the parking brake technique; it's too much work.

Use what make you comfortable.
Old 7/11/08, 05:21 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Until I could swap my foot from the brake to the gas pedal and get going, I used he parking brake trick. I also started using all three pedals at once, clutch with left foot, right heel on gas right toe on brake, it takes a little practice to do it without burning out or stalling, but it's a cool way to show off!
Old 7/11/08, 08:22 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Little Black Pony
Living in Seattle we have a LOT of steep hills with stop signs and traffic lights right in the middle most times.

I just blip the throttle with my heel a little and right after with one swift fluid movement take my foot off the brake apply gas and let out the clutch. I grew up driving the hills of Seattle in a VW bus so I'm pretty experienced. I've never use the parking brake technique; it's too much work.

Use what make you comfortable.
+1
I grew up on a steep hill and have almost always had manuals.
After all my decades of driving, I don't even think about how. I just do it.
Old 7/11/08, 09:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Although I've been driving manual's for many years, I still have problems whenever I'm at a dead spot on steep hills.

So my question is this: What is the best solution to prevent from drifting back, and stalling the vehicle while starting out from a dead spot, on a steep hill ? Anyway, thanks for all your help in advance guys.
Get an Auto!

Tim
Old 7/12/08, 09:49 AM
Cobra Member

I'd usually keep an eye out for whoever is coming up from behind, then I would rock a little bit as they pulled up behind me to indicate "hey I'm a stick..." Didn't always work but usually did. In instances where I was stuck with some guy right on my ***, I'd either hold it at the friction point, or just burn out a little to avoid any rolling. It had to be a very steep hill and the guy behind me had to be real close for that to happen though. I tried the e-break method, just couldn't get the hang of it I guess.

99% of the time if you rock a few times as they approach they will leave you room.
Old 7/12/08, 09:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Rev to 6000 rpm, and drop the clutch.
Old 7/13/08, 06:04 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,110 Likes on 1,695 Posts
Originally Posted by tdbrown75
Get an Auto!

Tim

Tim, I've actually thought about getting an auto, however I just enjoy rowing my own gears way too much over switching to an Auto

In the meantime, I'm going to try all the different combinations everyone has posted. And whichever method works best will be the one I'll stick with.

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 7/14/08 at 01:09 PM.
Old 7/14/08, 08:31 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
right foot on brake, left on clutch, lift left foot until reach clutch friction point, move right foot to gas while lifting a bit on the clutch and drive as normal.

due to laws of physics where object at rest tends to stay at rest you shouldn't roll back at all in the time to do the above steps.
Old 7/14/08, 03:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
I used the parking brake thing at first, but now i use more the three pedal trick. Practice makes the difference.
Old 7/15/08, 06:06 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Pwny
Rev to 6000 rpm, and drop the clutch.
I thought that was the proper way to leave from a stoplight

Quick Reply: How to best avoid stalling/drifting from a dead spot while on a steep hill ?