General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Here we go again with insurance rates.

Search this Thread

Old 7/13/24, 08:18 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,014 Likes on 630 Posts
Here we go again with insurance rates.

Here I go hustling again looking to save a few hundred dollars. Looks like I succeeded again but this gets old.
I have my Trans Am with Hagerty so that is usually the same deal each year with minor increases due to inflation. All is good.
It's the regular policies where the companies go nuts almost every year. I received my renewal from Auto Owners where I have my Mustang and R/T bundled with my home insurance. The Mustang seemed OK but my Challenger climbed to over $1,000 for one year, a healthy spike over last year. Since all our future vacations will most likely be in the Mustang I asked Hagerty if they would cover my R/T since it will be driven only 3,000 - 4,000 miles this coming year most likely. Retired, don't daily drive anywhere. Hagerty said no problem as long as the Mustang is used as our main car. My quote for $40,000 agreed value coverage was right around $500. Man, that was cool to hear! The only downside is that the Mustang insurance will go up $200 this year since the multiple car discount will be gone. It's still a nice trade-off with an overall $300 savings. $200 increase on the Mustang but that nice $500 savings on the R/T, plus I get the agreed value. I doubt Auto Owners would offer anything close to $40k, probably $30k (if lucky) if something happened.
Keep shopping around guys and gals. These 'hundreds of $$$' can go into your pocket instead of the insurance companies.
Old 7/13/24, 08:46 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,861 Likes on 2,112 Posts
The Next Door Neighbor Who Has a Small Fleet of Lawn Care Trucks Was Tooling Along a Highway at about 40Mph a Couple of Days ago & a Uninsured & Unlicensed Driver in Grandpa's Car! {WAY TO GO GRANDPA} Smacked into The Back of His Bright White Trailer Like Nobodies Business! Ya, Gotta Pay More For Insurance For All Those Who Don't! I See a Pattern There!

Back in The Day My Daughters Fairlane Got Backed into Twice By Underage Unlicensed Drivers and Both Times The Parents Wanted Us To Agree To Saying They Were Driving and Commit Insurance Fraud! NO F-In Way I'm Doing That and What Kind of Message Would That Send To My Kids At The Time! Neither of My Kids Ever Drove Uninsured or Unlicensed.

They Paid Though They Paid!

KC
The following users liked this post:
NC14GT (7/13/24)
Old 7/13/24, 09:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by NC14GT
Here I go hustling again looking to save a few hundred dollars. Looks like I succeeded again but this gets old.
I have my Trans Am with Hagerty so that is usually the same deal each year with minor increases due to inflation. All is good.
It's the regular policies where the companies go nuts almost every year. I received my renewal from Auto Owners where I have my Mustang and R/T bundled with my home insurance. The Mustang seemed OK but my Challenger climbed to over $1,000 for one year, a healthy spike over last year. Since all our future vacations will most likely be in the Mustang I asked Hagerty if they would cover my R/T since it will be driven only 3,000 - 4,000 miles this coming year most likely. Retired, don't daily drive anywhere. Hagerty said no problem as long as the Mustang is used as our main car. My quote for $40,000 agreed value coverage was right around $500. Man, that was cool to hear! The only downside is that the Mustang insurance will go up $200 this year since the multiple car discount will be gone. It's still a nice trade-off with an overall $300 savings. $200 increase on the Mustang but that nice $500 savings on the R/T, plus I get the agreed value. I doubt Auto Owners would offer anything close to $40k, probably $30k (if lucky) if something happened.
Keep shopping around guys and gals. These 'hundreds of $$$' can go into your pocket instead of the insurance companies.
How do you like Hagerty? I'm thinking about switching my 2015 GT to them from Allstate since it's not a daily driver anymore. Hagerty is 1/3 of what I'm currently paying.
NC14GT (7/13/24)
Old 7/13/24, 02:20 PM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,014 Likes on 630 Posts
Originally Posted by TomServo92
How do you like Hagerty? I'm thinking about switching my 2015 GT to them from Allstate since it's not a daily driver anymore. Hagerty is 1/3 of what I'm currently paying.
I have been pleased with them over many years with many different vehicles. Always good prices when compared to regular policies. I've only had one claim and they paid really quick after a bit of phone tag over a few days. They let you drive anywhere and actually encourage you to drive. It just can not be your daily driver or used for work. I'm sure there are different parameters for each region of the country but here in NC the car must be garaged as well. Being retired probably helps rates too. I don't like the insurance game whatsoever but if there is one positive experience so far, it has been Hagerty. I always hope I never have to use them again for claims but things happen.
Allstate, although I was a customer for over 20 years, raised my rates constantly with no loyalty from them whatsoever. I switched to Geico and after quite a few years with them, they also were screwing me each year and I ended up with Auto-Owners. Now this rate hike with the Dodge had me looking again and I'm glad I did. I like having the car insured for what I think it's worth, not the insurance company 'books' with ultra low figures. They probably have my '14 GT pegged at something silly low but I'm kinda stuck with having to have one vehicle considered a daily driver. At least 2 of my 3 cars are valued correct.

Last edited by NC14GT; 7/13/24 at 02:22 PM.
TomServo92 (7/13/24)
Old 7/13/24, 06:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
I have been pleased with them over many years with many different vehicles. Always good prices when compared to regular policies. I've only had one claim and they paid really quick after a bit of phone tag over a few days. They let you drive anywhere and actually encourage you to drive. It just can not be your daily driver or used for work. I'm sure there are different parameters for each region of the country but here in NC the car must be garaged as well. Being retired probably helps rates too. I don't like the insurance game whatsoever but if there is one positive experience so far, it has been Hagerty. I always hope I never have to use them again for claims but things happen.
Allstate, although I was a customer for over 20 years, raised my rates constantly with no loyalty from them whatsoever. I switched to Geico and after quite a few years with them, they also were screwing me each year and I ended up with Auto-Owners. Now this rate hike with the Dodge had me looking again and I'm glad I did. I like having the car insured for what I think it's worth, not the insurance company 'books' with ultra low figures. They probably have my '14 GT pegged at something silly low but I'm kinda stuck with having to have one vehicle considered a daily driver. At least 2 of my 3 cars are valued correct.
Thanks for the info! I think I'm going to switch it over.
NC14GT (Yesterday)
Old 7/13/24, 08:39 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,126 Likes on 808 Posts
I have my Mustang through Hagerty and it seems good. Have never had a claim and my rate has been consistent for the 2 years I have been with them.

I too have Auto-Owners on my two daily drivers, both are Jeep WK2 Grand Cherokees. Their rates have increased each of the last three years, but with checking both years, the rates I have found with companies I would want to be with seem to still be better. I do like the Auto-Owners Roadside Assist/Towing. It has been super easy to use the couple of time I needed it. Don't have any claims experience with them either, and hope I don't.

Last edited by shaneyusa; 7/13/24 at 08:41 PM.
NC14GT (Yesterday)