General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

GTO

Search this Thread

Old 7/24/04, 08:57 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I LOOKED at a Goat today. Very nice ride IMO. Actually a nice looking car. Nothing wild and crazy. But clean and smooth. The interior is just AWWWESOME though. I really liked it. It was comfortable too. The seats seemed very comfortable, and very supportive. The bolsters were good and the seat was nice and wide. I didnt feel pinched in at all. The speedo read 200 mph. I thought that was cool. There wasnt enough room between the clutch pedal and the kick panel for my foot in the MTX though. If I did try and put my foot next to the clutch pedal,it would catch when I moved it to engage the clutch. So I couldnt figure out where to put my left foot. The ATX had plenty of room though. It is only a 4 speed though. I would prefer a 5. Oh well,what ya gonna do? With 350 hp Im sure it will be plenty fast in ATX trim. Especially after putting in a shift kit or something. So I will wait for the 05 mustang,but if there is not some MAJOR improvements to the interior as fas as asthetics and roominess,there is a good chance I might go with a goat. Will probably wait to make a final decision till I see what cheby is going to do with the registering of the Chevelle though. Also what will be the charger.
Old 7/24/04, 09:18 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I could be wrong, but when I test drove a gto two months ago the speedo had a 200 KPH reading not a 200 mph reading. I believe the speedo has both scales on it.
Old 7/24/04, 10:01 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont know man,I only saw 1 set of numbers and they went up to 200.
Old 7/26/04, 02:07 AM
GT Member

200 MPH
Old 7/26/04, 08:32 AM
Cobra Member

I saw a black one in town this morning. The exhaust sounded great, but the styling was still very bland. It hasn't been a strong seller.
Old 7/26/04, 10:52 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Personally I like the interior. The exterior isn't ugly per se, but rather just bland. With that much power it should have a look at me factor .. Which it doesn't.

I'd like to point out I am not condoning fake scoops, just a different overall look.
Old 7/26/04, 12:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I thought this was interesting.....................darn right you should have given it a more retro look, attitude would be the word.

GTO Going, Going, but Not Gone

General Motors has no intention of abandoning its reborn GTO badge, despite a slow start-up for the Australian-made muscle car. The GTO "is a permanent addition to thePontiac stable," GM's Bob Lutz, stressed during an interview with TheCarConnection.com. "Maybe in retrospect, we should have done a more retro (looking) car," the GM vice chairman added, but he forcefully emphasized that "the car is not a flop." If anything, Pontiac officials insist that the "Goat" is gaining momentum, especially in the critical California market. While dealers in import-oriented Los Angeles account for only 1.4 percent of total Pontiac sales nationwide, they generated 4.6 percent of the overall GTO volume through mid-July, according to company data. While Lutz declined to discuss future product plans, industry sources report that the next generation of Pontiac's muscle car will be much more aggressively styled than the current, jellybean-shaped two-door. GM has good reason to hang onto the GTO. Since it's adding incremental volume to a product already on sale in Australia, "It's making a lot of money," despite a slow start in the U.S., said Lutz. -Paul A. Eisenstein
Old 7/26/04, 01:04 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
"the current, jellybean-shaped two-door"

Great description of the GTO. Jelly-bean shaped.

And everyone knows Jelly-beans strike fear into one and all.
Old 7/26/04, 06:38 PM
Cobra Member

I might have heard wrong, but Car and Driver said the GTO will be dropped by 2007/8. Maybe they meant it would be a new chassis...
Old 7/26/04, 09:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by schmalex@July 26, 2004, 2:10 AM
200 MPH
Notice it's a toggle between MPH/KPH, but there's only one set of numbers on the dial? It has to go to 200 because 200KPH is near the upper end, which in MPH is around 120MPH. Essentially the needle movement scales differently depending on which measurement you have selected.
Old 7/26/04, 09:39 PM
Bullitt Member

"While dealers in import-oriented Los Angeles account for only 1.4 percent of total Pontiac sales nationwide, they generated 4.6 percent of the overall GTO volume through mid-July"

uh could that be because it looks like an import/cavalier hyrbrid.

i am sure it is a great car...motor and interior... but exterior what were they thinking
Old 7/26/04, 11:59 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Lutz is working on a whole new car, not rebadged Holdens. That is going to be the replacement. They are probably taking their time getting it together so they don't need to hear all the criticism again.
Old 7/27/04, 06:04 AM
Cobra Member

Yes, they do need to hear it. I was around for the original GTO and had a friend who had one with a tripower 389. Dang fast in a straight line, not worth a darn when the road curved. You'll remember that Pontiac stole the name from the Ferrari GTO, but that's another story.

My point is that when a car company brings back a blast from the past (God forbid Chevy will bring back the Vega!) they owe it to its heritage to make sure it performs, which the GTO does, and create some visual excitement, which the GTO does not.

Is the current GTO better than the original? Of course. Does it deserve the name? Not in my opinion.

If you read the letters in the major car mags you'll find that most of them are neutral at best and most are negative. No wonder this car is not selling well. Yes, perhaps in Southern California, which is a whole world unto itself. I know. I lived there for almost 25 years.
Old 7/27/04, 10:54 AM
GT Member

Yes, they do need to hear it. I was around for the original GTO and had a friend who had one with a tripower 389.
I am old enough to remember the old GTOs as well. Don't you remember that the original GTOs shared the same body as the Tempest/Le Mans? Other than a hood scoop, badging, and on some years, slightly different grilles and taillights, the 60's and 70s GTOs looked just like a Tempest or LeMans.

Everybody seems to be down on the new GTO for looking like "every other Pontiac", when the originals from the '60s looked like every other Pontiac! The GTO was an option package on the Pontiac Le Mans for a few years!

If you read the letters in the major car mags you'll find that most of them are neutral at best and most are negative. No wonder this car is not selling well.
I never thought a new RWD V8 Powered coupe from GM would get so much crap from enthusiasts (especially on the web). With the F-Bodies gone, you'd think people would be happy. I think maybe people are bitter because the Monaro wasn't badged "Chevy Camaro"... If it was, it would probably be declared the greatest thing since sliced bread...
Old 7/28/04, 07:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I watched "Rides" last night on TLC. They had a GTO being modified to enter a Drifting contest (a "Car Ballet"). It is all the rage in Japan and they say it is catching on in the US.
They said the American cars (GTO, Mustang, Camero, Vipers, and Corvettes) want to enter the race/contest more often these days. A japanese guy said they love it when the american cars compete. Funny part is when they said sometimes an old '86 Celica can be modified and still win the contest.
Old 7/28/04, 08:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Vermillion98@July 27, 2004, 10:57 AM
Yes, they do need to hear it. I was around for the original GTO and had a friend who had one with a tripower 389.
I am old enough to remember the old GTOs as well. Don't you remember that the original GTOs shared the same body as the Tempest/Le Mans? Other than a hood scoop, badging, and on some years, slightly different grilles and taillights, the 60's and 70s GTOs looked just like a Tempest or LeMans.

Everybody seems to be down on the new GTO for looking like "every other Pontiac", when the originals from the '60s looked like every other Pontiac! The GTO was an option package on the Pontiac Le Mans for a few years!

If you read the letters in the major car mags you'll find that most of them are neutral at best and most are negative. No wonder this car is not selling well.
I never thought a new RWD V8 Powered coupe from GM would get so much crap from enthusiasts (especially on the web). With the F-Bodies gone, you'd think people would be happy. I think maybe people are bitter because the Monaro wasn't badged "Chevy Camaro"... If it was, it would probably be declared the greatest thing since sliced bread...
monaro greatest thing since sliced bread... i guess not since i have no clue what it even is... so i guess it wasnt an obvious camaro replacement or id have a clue...

maybe
Old 7/28/04, 08:13 PM
Bullitt Member

ok so i found a pic of a morono or whatever... and even if that was called camaro it would still be as much of a sales flop as the gto based on exterior styling.
Old 7/28/04, 11:26 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Vermillion98@July 27, 2004, 10:57 AM

actually in the issue of road and track where they compared the SVT Cobra with the GTO, the declared the GTO better becaus its a "more dignified sports car" :scratch: or somethin even though it doesn have as good performace.

that article pissed me off :notnice:
Old 7/29/04, 08:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Look, it's like Ford bringing the Australian Falcon to the States and calling it the new Mustang. Do you *really* think that'd go over well? Falcon's a great car, but ....
Old 7/29/04, 11:23 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by hdwrench@July 28, 2004, 8:11 PM
monaro greatest thing since sliced bread... i guess not since i have no clue what it even is... so i guess it wasnt an obvious camaro replacement or id have a clue...

maybe
Holden Monaro, the Australian car the new GTO is based on... GM basically put a Pontiac grille on the Monaro to make the new GTO...

Quick Reply: GTO