General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Got bad gas

Search this Thread

Old 11/9/05, 07:17 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Well, usually I'm really careful not to get gas at a station where they are or have recently filled the underground tanks but I guess a tanker had been to the gas station I usually go to and left before I got there.
Anywho, my car (the Olds or Oldpeoplemobile as I call it ) started running really rough. This car has always run like a dream since 1994 (95 model). So I check everything to my ability and nothing is wrong. I say to my wife "You know hon, I've never had it before but I wonder if we got a bad tank of gas."

So we drive it to my buddy's shop and he takes a look over it and listens to it and sure enough, "You're car is rock solid you just got some sediment in the tank."

There's a lot of it too so he's gonna unclog everything for me. Nice guy I miss it already, its so comfortable and has run without any problems for 11 years. Not the most attractive but a great cruiser

Yes well, its just like a pit in the windshield from rocks or a door ding in the parking lot. It happens. But I thought I would share so if you guys do see a tanker pumping, don't take the chance of getting bad gas.
Old 11/9/05, 07:41 AM
I'm people, and I like.

Thanks for the heads up Andy... never knew that
Old 11/9/05, 08:01 AM
Cobra Member

I've read about this bad gas thing ever since I started driving in 1964 and I've never experienced it except from too many burritos. Maybe there is such a thing but I doubt it. And that comment comes from a guy who has driven close to 2,000,000 miles. Take it for what it's worth.
Old 11/9/05, 10:58 AM
Team Mustang Source

My father had it in his old Rabbit back in '82.

Its kind of misleading, the gas itself is fine but its the sediment that gets stirred up when a tanker unloads. Its not a common occurence but it happens every once in a while and most people never experience it. The sediment just builds up sometimes and gets through the pump. Most of it is caught by the filters in the gas station pumps but if its fine enough and theres enough of it, it can cause problems. It didn't hur the car at all and it shouldn't be that hard to flush it out, I just lose my tank of gas :bang:

I trust what Dave says. He's been working on cars for over 23 years and working on my vehicles for over 11. I had heard of sediment but never had it till now.
Old 11/9/05, 12:40 PM
Bullitt Member

my stepdad had a 1993 or 1994 olds.....car ran great as long as they had it.....engine wise that is. by the time he got rid of it it had 180,000 miles on it with no engine problems. of course everything else on the car had to go wrong, like the windows stoped working, locks wouldnt lock, door handles went too, and more things then i can remeber. But one of his friends owns a shop and always took care of all the small BS. it makes you wonder what ever happened to oldsmobile. as far as i go, they were my favorite branch of GM
Old 11/9/05, 12:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
We had a gas distributor accidentally mix diesel with unloaded and it got out to like a dozen stations before anyone realized what had happened. It FUBARed a bunch of cars. The distributor's insurance ended paying for alot of new engines.
Old 11/9/05, 12:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by cheech6g@November 9, 2005, 3:43 PM
my stepdad had a 1993 or 1994 olds.....car ran great as long as they had it.....engine wise that is. by the time he got rid of it it had 180,000 miles on it with no engine problems. of course everything else on the car had to go wrong, like the windows stoped working, locks wouldnt lock, door handles went too, and more things then i can remeber. But one of his friends owns a shop and always took care of all the small BS. it makes you wonder what ever happened to oldsmobile. as far as i go, they were my favorite branch of GM
180,000 Thats really good. Everything works great on mine. I agree Oldsmobile was a great company. I love the ride in my Olds, so smooth and quiet.

Mark,
luckily I don't have any damage but I'm wondering how many more people who were getting gas there were affected?
Old 11/10/05, 08:16 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
silly question, did you run the tank lower than normal? Chances are that you had the sediment anyway, you just got down to it for the first time.
Old 11/10/05, 09:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by jgsmuzzy@November 10, 2005, 11:19 AM
silly question, did you run the tank lower than normal? Chances are that you had the sediment anyway, you just got down to it for the first time.
Thats what I was thinking too at first, but I fill up when I'm about at 1/4 full. Sometimes I let it run a little lower but I try not to. If I have to I usually put a couple gallons in it to avoid that problem. But hey, it could have possibly built up over time. The car is 11 years old.