General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Focus Concept Unveiled at China Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 6/7/04, 09:34 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
<center>NEW SOPHISTICATED FORD FOCUS CONCEPT</center>
BEIJING, June 8 - A concept teaser version of what foreshadows the most sophisticated Focus sedan to date has been unveiled at Auto China 2004 in Beijing.

"Recognizably a Ford and evidently a Focus, the new generation Ford Focus Concept sedan is a clearly refined evolution from the original vehicle," said Ford Asia Pacific Design Manager, Paul Gibson.

"Presenting the four-door as the style setter for the new generation of car buyers in China, it is Focus with a new sophistication."

The concept clearly states its European heritage with clean taut lines and an aggressive stance. It conveys solidity and substance while boasting generous curves and a distinct shoulder. A low sweeping roofline and fast rear screen angle visually elongates the overall shape and promotes a perception of athleticism.

The vehicle's surfaces are taut, precise and exhibit a quality execution.

There are several design components unique to the Focus Concept.

Lamps
"One of the most exciting aspects of developing a concept vehicle is that you can experiment with new design elements and technologies that are cutting edge for our industry. The unique front and rear lamps on the Focus Concept are a perfect example," said Gibson.

Developed in conjunction between Ford and Osram Opto Semiconductors, the lamps utilise the latest LED technology.

The front lamps present a continuous ring of light when illuminated. Producing a cool white appearance with high luminance output, the lamps complement the vehicle's overall design. The fog lamps also produce a continuous ring of light.

"The LED headlamps are unique to the Focus Concept," said Gibson. "The continuous ring of light is completely different to using a conventional bulb and parabola. Even when switched off, the headlamps and fog lamps have the depth and quality of deep glass."

The rear lamps also use LED technology and allowed the designers to produce a three dimensional lamp design that combines the aesthetics of the latest technological innovation with the benefits of increased light distribution and efficiency for an ideal and dependable lighting solution. When lit, they also give a clean continuous light but also have bubble detailing to add surprise and delight.

Wheels
Unique 19-inch wheels and pronounced wheel arches demonstrate the superior driving dynamics for which Focus is renowned. The seven spoke wheels also feature polished spokes and a rubber-like high-tech insert for a new twist on finishes.

Colour
Known as Sapphire Ice, this unique colour for the Focus Concept sedan exhibits the same characteristics as metallic silver but adds the depth of blue to result in an exciting new colour that matches the concept's contemporary styling.

"The new Focus Concept sedan is based on Ford DNA - Genuine, Progressive and Smart - while building on its strong European styling themes," said Gibson.

"These themes have been moulded to create a new contemporary vehicle that is insightfully geared to the needs and wants of Chinese consumers. It is a very exciting concept that we believe will generate a lot of interest throughout the region this year."

Old 6/7/04, 10:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW, from that 3/4 rear shot I swore it was a Civic!
Old 6/8/04, 12:35 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Front end is pretty sweet =)
Old 6/8/04, 01:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
photo shops?
Old 6/8/04, 06:07 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
I like it! Seems to fall into line with the "future" Ford family line-up. The Futura (or whatever it is to be named) seems to have some of the same lines.

Very nice!

Old 6/8/04, 12:55 PM
I'm people, and I like.

i dont like it. it has too many similarities with the civic.
the focus should be more unique, becuase it is one of the few american cars that go against the imports and that can have success. if a kid had a choice between the civic and a prodiction focus similar to the concept, he would go for the civic. if the look was more unique (american, or euro) the kid would have a harder choice.
Old 6/8/04, 01:04 PM
Post *****

vs.

I think the Focus looks better, cleaner. Of course this is a concept with big wheels, and a nice front air-dam.
Old 6/8/04, 01:07 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

vs.

Old 6/8/04, 03:59 PM
Cobra Member

Pretty swank
Old 6/8/04, 05:07 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally posted by thezeppelin8@June 8, 2004, 12:58 PM
i dont like it. it has too many similarities with the civic.
the focus should be more unique, becuase it is one of the few american cars that go against the imports and that can have success. if a kid had a choice between the civic and a prodiction focus similar to the concept, he would go for the civic. if the look was more unique (american, or euro) the kid would have a harder choice.
I agree.
Old 6/8/04, 05:12 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It looks a lot like the civic, but it also has some of the european mondeo in it as well IMO
Old 6/8/04, 07:38 PM
Post *****

Originally posted by Galaxie@June 8, 2004, 5:15 PM
It looks a lot like the civic, but it also has some of the european mondeo in it as well IMO
I also see some Volvo S40 (new model) styling as well.

Intergrated tail pipes are trick!
Old 6/8/04, 11:05 PM
Bullitt Member

I see some Mondeo in that as well. It looks ok, I don't like the Civic like tailights, other than that it looks pretty good. BTW, the reason it has similarites to the S40 is because the S40 is based on the Focus platform. It's a Focus/Mazda 3/S40 platform. B)
Old 6/8/04, 11:18 PM
GT Member

Too much lean toward the ricer crowd. I like the styling, but too much civic.
Old 6/9/04, 05:42 AM
Post *****

Originally posted by 428CJ@June 8, 2004, 11:08 PM
I see some Mondeo in that as well. It looks ok, I don't like the Civic like tailights, other than that it looks pretty good. BTW, the reason it has similarites to the S40 is because the S40 is based on the Focus platform. It's a Focus/Mazda 3/S40 platform. B)
Right, but we won't get the Focus variant. The Euro Focus, Mazda 3, and S40 will share underpinnings but not the U.S. Focus . . . at least for some time.
Old 6/10/04, 12:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Yep
Old 6/10/04, 03:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Still looks like a Focus to me - just evolved. I like it. If you're going to compare it to the Civic, then you'd best do the same with the 2005 Focus. Below you can clearly see the styling elements that are supposedly "Civic" in both the 2005 and the concept.

vs.

vs.