General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

FIREBIRD AND TRANS AM RETURNING!

Search this Thread

Old 2/2/06, 07:11 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Autospies website has got to be one of the most over-hyped sites out there, frequently filled with utter garbage. I hate the way they mix advertising in with headlines and try to pretend it's news...but anyway, here is what they said today...

CLICK ME
Old 2/2/06, 07:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only way to bring back the 'bird would be at the demise of the GTO, which I don't think is gonna happen.

BTW, I agree with you, that Autospies is garbage. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
Old 2/2/06, 07:47 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

That would be cool.
Old 2/3/06, 05:35 AM
Team Mustang Source

so they're looking forward to loosing money on a non-selling car??
Old 2/3/06, 07:39 AM
I'm people, and I like.

I'd much rather see a firebird built on the new camaro, than see the current GTO keep going
Old 2/3/06, 10:55 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Blah GM has no real plan for future vehicles. The solstice is going to flop, and the new GM full size stuff is still outdated. The Camaro concept is barely a design school study, nothing like the production ready Challenger. blah. Unless they can dig up an Opel coupe they can rebadge as a Camaro or Firebird, dont hold your breath. The best peformance coupe GM had in its inventory was the Manaro, and it flopped, and thats the old platform, Holden has moved on to a newer one in Australia.
Old 2/3/06, 05:49 PM
Closet American

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kevinb120 @ February 3, 2006, 9:58 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Blah GM has no real plan for future vehicles. The solstice is going to flop, and the new GM full size stuff is still outdated. The Camaro concept is barely a design school study, nothing like the production ready Challenger. blah. Unless they can dig up an Opel coupe they can rebadge as a Camaro or Firebird, dont hold your breath. The best peformance coupe GM had in its inventory was the Manaro, and it flopped, and thats the old platform, Holden has moved on to a newer one in Australia.
[/b][/quote]
Wow, someone's in a negative mood. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]

I think the Camaro looks pretty good, overall - and most polls seem to indicate people really like it. Is GM financially solvent enough to build it? That's another question. But I do see a company that is trying hard in certain sectors. The Solstice shows real effort to break the mold. The new full size utes have DRAMATICALLY improved interiors that most journalists say are now fully equal to the imports in terms of quality and refinement (even going so far as to add electroluminescent gauges). They're also introducing hybrid versions of those full size utes. The Corvette is still the greatest sports car in the world for the money. Yeah, the Monaro is gone...but there is a replacement coming - and they expect it to be used in North America, too.

But on the downside, GM STILL haven't figured out that they don't need 19 variations of one platform spread across two or three divisions in North America. Forget about a Firebird; it's a redundant idea and only dilutes GM further while confusing an already defecting public. They have the Solstice...the Corvette...and the Camaro - different trim levels of those three should satisfy ALL sports car buyers. Why in god's name would they make another carbon copy of the Camaro in order to float a division that should be killed off? They're just competing with themselves! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nonono.gif[/img]

Right now, GM should ONLY have Cadillac and Chevrolet. Buick, Pontiac and Saturn should be cannabalized for their best products (which should be rebadged within the other two divisions) and those superflous marks should be jettisoned as flotsam. Unless GM is prepared to go the extra mile to do this, they're going to have a tough time surviving...never mind competing.
Old 2/4/06, 12:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Oh GM, GM...
they are so slow on their heels, they make me think of a dumb giant...
They offered a plethora of huge hiney suv's, totally disregarding the production of new and exciting cars and instead creating stuff like the new Impala (this is the first car ever that made me think the previous gen looked SO much better) and the SSR (what the heck is that ? Frankenstein on wheels ?), then they simply stared out the window while Ford was (is and will be) having a huge success with the retro inspired Mustang, then they came out with a pure exercise in style with the Camaro concept, with production plans for 2009 (isn't it a bit too late, guys ? Even DCX made the Challenger almost ready for production the way it is and rumor is that it will be on sale spring 2007...). Only two, maybe three vehicles they have in their lineup I can consider stuff I could buy: the Corvette, the Pontiac Solstice GXP / Saturn Sky Redline and perhaps the HHR. The rest is all crap and considering how many brands are in GM's stable, it's pretty sad.
GM has a habit of constantly disappointing people and it seems to me that the trend hasn't changed, if they keep on this course, they won't be around for much longer.
And how about a Firebird and Trans Am ? Who knows, who cares: if they produce them, they will anyway arrive too late and seeing what their vehicles look like (excepted for the Vette and Solstice/Sky) I am not trusting them too much...
My $0.02...
Old 2/4/06, 03:30 AM
Closet American

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Legion681 @ February 3, 2006, 11:27 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
GM has a habit of constantly disappointing people and it seems to me that the trend hasn't changed, if they keep on this course, they won't be around for much longer.
[/b][/quote]
Sorry to say Ford's track record isn't much better, and their situation is almost as dire.
Old 2/4/06, 11:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea but camaro junkies(even the magazines believed this unmanufacturable turd) got all bent out of shape over the kiddie photoshop a few years ago too. People get enamored with anything with dubs on it these day, look at it hard and you can see how poorly laid out the concept is and how watered down in typical GM faction the soul will be completely vaccumed out(GTO HHR SSR Solstice, etc). Here it is, modified a while back( of what they were formally going nuts over) with my phoshop skilz-blast from da past in TMS history:
Old 2/5/06, 02:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

I excpect a Firebird unless Pontiac hits it big with anything in between. The Camaro and Firebird are nearly synonymous, so why not release one, they're nearly the same car...?
Old 2/9/06, 12:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

i think the solstice is going to and is doing very well. every month, i see people complaining in car and driver and road and track that there is still a wait to get one, they are all sold etc. also, a lot of people dont realize that chev, cad, pontiac, buick etc are all the same company, and they are loyal to one brand, and they might not buy the same car if it was branded differently. same thing with ford. look at mercury, all rebadged ford stuff. however, in florida, the grand marquis is the best selling car. you could have the same exact car for less, but its a ford crown vic, and to these people a mercury is better. a lot of people arent smart like us, and dont care or want to know that much about cars. did anyone see that solsitce turbo coming out?