Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by graphicguy@February 10, 2005, 12:45 PM
NOS=rice
:scratch: What? Why? :scratch:
Old 2/10/05, 02:18 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by holderca1+February 10, 2005, 2:54 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(holderca1 @ February 10, 2005, 2:54 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-graphicguy@February 10, 2005, 12:45 PM
NOS=rice
What?? NOS is not rice. I guess that makes Eleanor rice then too, huh? NOS is a legit performance booster.
[/b][/quote]

Yeah !!!

With you on that one. I know of a few cars running NOS (and a few more performance goodies) without any significant appearance mods other than those to enhance performance (wheels, tires, visable exhaust) and I would certainly not classify them as "rice".

:nono:
Old 2/10/05, 02:46 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Red Star@February 10, 2005, 3:32 PM
What's wrong with red text? That's why color options exist ... right?
Size options exist too, doesn't mean I should post every message in a 48 point font. It exists for the same reason bold, italic, and underline exists - to provide emphasis and the like. You're the only person I've seen do it, and there's probably good reason for that - besides the fact that red on white is a bad color combo for text.

To be on topic, it's just like rice - no real purpose, no value added, just something to say
Old 2/10/05, 03:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Having N2O isnt ricer but calling it NAWWSSS can be.

I think what he may have meant is calling Nitrous Oxide a name like NAWWSSS or NOS is ricer, since NOS is a name brand and not a technical or accurate term for N20.

(add 20 points if you are running an NX or other brand system and still call it NOS)
Old 2/10/05, 03:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by holderca1+February 10, 2005, 2:54 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(holderca1 @ February 10, 2005, 2:54 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-graphicguy@February 10, 2005, 12:45 PM
NOS=rice
What?? NOS is not rice. I guess that makes Eleanor rice then too, huh? NOS is a legit performance booster.
[/b][/quote]

I think its meant that NOS is your first upgrade even though your engine can't take it...
by the way...the S2000's are some mean cars, probably my favorite four cylinder car! not rice, definetely. Rice is a car like a Civic with a spoiler birds nest on, a body kit, a huge coffee can exhaust, the racing seats, a shift light on an auto tranny, all that stuff...with an engine that still make under 120hp.
Old 2/10/05, 03:13 PM
mav
GT Member

Old 2/10/05, 03:19 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by mav@February 10, 2005, 4:16 PM
The worst I've seen to date is...

This dude in a red Toyota Echo pulls alongside me and revs. My best friend and I both look over and we see Ferrari badges, yes Ferrari badges, on this Echo. He has some 14" spinner wheels, some wing and neons as well. He goes "Oye wanna race men?" I reply, "No thanks dude, you're too fast for me."

That's hilarious...you gotta love the stones on some people. Regarding the "ricer" issue, although I drive an 05 Mustang, your stable of cars is pretty sweet. I wouldn't lose sleep over what people though of your rides...unless you decide to buy that pimped out Echo.
Old 2/10/05, 03:20 PM
FR500 Member

I'm defineately not an import knocker, I've owned too many to know better.

But everyone here has been echoing my feelings on it. I view "rice" as half-baked J.C Whitney, do-it yourself, bad taste, multi colored, lowered incorrectly, multi-colored..... Pieces of Poop!

There's plenty of domestic "Rice" out there, man those Mustang pics hit it home... what were those people smokin?

Those who just bash on the imports because they're imports....well they just like to spout off and make themselves sound cool, when in reality they just make themselves look stupid.

Don't let it get to ya Mav, it's not worth the aggravation.... just ignore em.
Old 2/10/05, 03:30 PM
Bullitt Member

There’s Ricers and then there’s Import Guys. I view them as two separate groups. The unfortunate thing is that the ricers seem to outnumber the Import Guys about 20 to 1.

Ricers have always been around in one form or the other and under different names since the beginning of car history.

Mini truckers were the ricers of my day. The guys with vans were the ricers of the 1970's and so on. I think all the mini truckers from the 1980's and early 1990's have switched over to small front drive 4 cyl cars.

Back in the 1970's there were many magazines devoted to "Van Life" now there are none. Back in the early 90's my local bookstore carried about 15 mini truck magazines now they have one. They have been replaced with about 15 import magazines. Primedia has said that many import oriented periodicals are also on the decrease in circulation though.

These will get weeded out until you have mostly Import Guys left and the ricers (or whatever you want to call them) move on to something else as they always do.

The ricer mentality usually follows the flavor of the month so to speak.
Old 2/10/05, 03:31 PM
mav
GT Member

Old 2/10/05, 03:40 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by new22003@February 10, 2005, 6:04 PM

I think what he may have meant is calling Nitrous Oxide a name like NAWWSSS or NOS is ricer, since NOS is a name brand and not a technical or accurate term for N20.

(add 20 points if you are running an NX or other brand system and still call it NOS)

Yes, exactly what I meant. Even worse, having the canisters in plain view with no connections.
Old 2/10/05, 04:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In all honesty, I don't call any car "rice". I actually hate the term as it relates to vehicles. Saying a car looks bad is relative to a person's own tastes. Simply put, not everyone thinks the same.

That said, I think it's kinda insulting to classify odd, or bad looking, objects as a single term that is a big part of culture in other parts of the worlds. It is a food after all right? I know a guy at work that has never heard the term ricer before but refers to all Asian cars as Rice-Burners. I would assume that is where it came from but what do I know. Definite cultural background there IMHO.

Personally I could care less what someone does to their car. The only cars I classify as goofy seem to contain the same things which drive me nuts.

1. Loads of Stickers/emblems (Doesn't matter if they are fake or not ... GT-R)
2. The goofy wings. No need to spell out to everyone around you that you are under 18.
3. Homemade scoops which usually don't fit the lines of the car.
4. 4cyc exhaust systems which cost more than their car is worth. This bothers me the most because they use it to annoy people. Can't tell you how many kids have proven how bad they are by reving at me the direct moment they have pasted my Mustang. I'm impressed

Some things don't bother me at all. I don't get nuts about goofy stereos. Don't care if someone uses Neon lights, though it's probably illegal. I also don't care about chrome window tint. None of these items are used to make people think your car is fast. I don't see what there is to get worked up about with them.
Old 2/10/05, 05:08 PM
GT Member

Not worked up....just expressing our opinions.....just like you. If someone takes offense to the whole "rice" thing, I certainly don't care.

I think it's insulting that I have to look at or listen to some of the abominations I see/hear on the road. What makes anyone think (particularly in the winter climates) that I'll like your choice in music so much that you have to roll you window down for everyone to hear?

Most of the rice I see are "posers' anyway.
Old 2/10/05, 05:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

here is some domesticated rice for ya... The car I spoke of earlier
Old 2/10/05, 06:04 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally posted by DiamondBlue+February 10, 2005, 3:49 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DiamondBlue @ February 10, 2005, 3:49 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Red Star@February 10, 2005, 3:32 PM
Size options exist too, doesn't mean I should post every message in a 48 point font. It exists for the same reason bold, italic, and underline exists - to provide emphasis and the like. You're the only person I've seen do it, and there's probably good reason for that - besides the fact that red on white is a bad color combo for text.

To be on topic, it's just like rice - no real purpose, no value added, just something to say
[/b][/quote]

Could you please tell me what that good reason is? I'm not gonna use red text anymore if it bothers you so much (I never heard anyone else ever complaining about that), just wanna know why. My name after all is Red Star.
Old 2/10/05, 07:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

people that talk like this... no matter what they drive... are RICERS

That's tite...now you just gotta drop it like it's hot on some springs. i think most folks don't like the 20" look but the 05 concept sits just nicely right on em. mine would at least roll on dubs...and the only color stang I have confidence to put chrome on is black, cuz it just always works. keep it up dogg. holla.
that comes off a post on stangnet by makudayir
Old 2/10/05, 07:35 PM
GT Member

I think any serious sports car is not rice, i.e., HOnda S2000, WRX, EVO, NSX. The s2000 is defiintely not rice. Not at all.

Rice to me is those guys riding around in a mid 90's civic covered in weird bodywork, painted with primer, a massivley loud exhaust, gunning the engine every 10 seconds.
Old 2/10/05, 09:43 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Originally posted by Red Star+February 10, 2005, 5:07 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Red Star @ February 10, 2005, 5:07 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by DiamondBlue@February 10, 2005, 3:49 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Red Star
@February 10, 2005, 3:32 PM

Could you please tell me what that good reason is? I'm not gonna use red text anymore if it bothers you so much (I never heard anyone else ever complaining about that), just wanna know why. My name after all is Red Star.
[/b][/quote]

I have absolutely no problem with you using red Zoran
actually, some months ago, I had written a few of my post in the Grabber Blue color that they used to have for the text, but i got too lazy to click on the buttons lol :P
Old 2/11/05, 06:21 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by graphicguy+February 10, 2005, 4:43 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(graphicguy @ February 10, 2005, 4:43 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-new22003@February 10, 2005, 6:04 PM

Yes, exactly what I meant. Even worse, having the canisters in plain view with no connections.
[/b][/quote]
Maybe he's a dentist.
Old 2/11/05, 07:05 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Red Star@February 10, 2005, 8:07 PM
A color within a name. Imagine that.
My comment on the text was secondary, didn't intend to get into a debate about it. I already gave you the why in my previous posts.

Quick Reply: explain "rice" to me...