General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

End of "THE WAR"

Search this Thread

Old 1/15/05, 09:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am getting tired of this whole Import vs American Car argument....
Read these points very carefully befor you flame(I understand that flaming is inevitable)

1) Body Kits.....

Yes I admit that some imports have unessisary body kits but many cars have them so its pointless to hate body kits(IE SALEEN Mustang)
And no not everyone does it to make there car look fast.. that comment shows ignorence... its a work of art.. maybe not in your mind but maybe to the imports owner, people just put the 2 togethor becuase the cars in movies like the fast and the furious we fast and had them....

2) HP/ Torque

Yes maybe your mustang or charger, camero,ect. has more torque then a honda civic but can it handle like one???Muscle cars are great for drag and drag is a fun thing to do but high speed turns are also exciting... and although you may only need to drop in $1k for a super charger and have 500hp or w/e you guys also pay much more for for your vehicles, imports are like mustange in the late 60s, a dime a dozen, they are light and inexpensive and easy to find cheap parts for.. i come from a low class family and we do not have the money for a nice american car
i would kill for a 03 cobra i would kill for a 94 gt, but i am settleing with a 91-92 toyota supra because its cheap and gets good gas

3) 4 cylinder v6 v8 inline6(no geo metro 3 cylinders tho)

smaller engines are 1 more fuel eficient and are lighter and sometimes easier to fix

4)Whiny rice boys

ok people talk about whiny rice boys but some of the same people are ignorent motor heads that are just as biased as the imort boys are

5) Rice

The #1 thing that i hate is the word rice referring to imports.... last time i checked europe was also across an ocean..... but yea

as i said flame if you want just read first... I love muscle cars but i also have a great respect for imports.... I just want to know who else thinks that its time for this "WAR" to end
Old 1/15/05, 09:40 PM
My C/T is cooler than Arin is.

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Amen Brutha!, yea I agree, its time to stop...
Old 1/16/05, 01:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

:R:
Old 1/16/05, 01:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i agree totally we aint the best off either but we aint the worst off and when i do get a car it wont be high end or have barely any perrformance but hey its a mode of transportation and why not make an attempt to make it look like it might go past the speed limit seriously i doubt that here are fewer bodykits made for the mustang than lets say the eclipse i mean look at sema guess how many people will buy just the body kits and not nearly as many performance... wow thats gotta be my longest post ever...
Old 1/16/05, 09:35 AM
I'm people, and I like.

call me a weirdo, but i would go with a 1982-85 toyota celica supra
i really like the looks of it, and i wouldnt mod it from the outside

Old 1/16/05, 08:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 428_CBRA_JT@January 16, 2005, 4:28 AM
I am getting tired of this whole Import vs American Car argument....
Read these points very carefully befor you flame(I understand that flaming is inevitable)

1) Body Kits.....

Yes I admit that some imports have unessisary body kits but many cars have them so its pointless to hate body kits(IE SALEEN Mustang)
And no not everyone does it to make there car look fast.. that comment shows ignorence... its a work of art.. maybe not in your mind but maybe to the imports owner, people just put the 2 togethor becuase the cars in movies like the fast and the furious we fast and had them....

2) HP/ Torque

Yes maybe your mustang or charger, camero,ect. has more torque then a honda civic but can it handle like one???Muscle cars are great for drag and drag is a fun thing to do but high speed turns are also exciting... and although you may only need to drop in $1k for a super charger and have 500hp or w/e you guys also pay much more for for your vehicles, imports are like mustange in the late 60s, a dime a dozen, they are light and inexpensive and easy to find cheap parts for.. i come from a low class family and we do not have the money for a nice american car
i would kill for a 03 cobra i would kill for a 94 gt, but i am settleing with a 91-92 toyota supra because its cheap and gets good gas

smaller engines are 1 more fuel eficient and are lighter and sometimes easier to fix

4)Whiny rice boys

ok people talk about whiny rice boys but some of the same people are ignorent motor heads that are just as biased as the imort boys are

5) Rice

The #1 thing that i hate is the word rice referring to imports.... last time i checked europe was also across an ocean..... but yea

as i said flame if you want just read first... I love muscle cars but i also have a great respect for imports.... I just want to know who else thinks that its time for this "WAR" to end
Well, first of all I think part of the problwm is that the "Japanese" car enthusaists among us seem to think that between the early 70's and the early 90's the Americans just did not build performance cars. If this is a misunderstanding then I can understand that, but it simply is not true.

I still have a 1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe that I blew the turbo on waiting for a reincarnation into a rolling street-thug. And, economically speaking this is just about as cheap mas you can get into speed, as I only paid $1200 for the car over five years ago!

Parts are dirt cheap. I had a 4.6L SOHC motor for it that I laid down 50 dollars for because it had a minor rod knock in it. As I was going to rebuild it anyway, it was not that big of a deal that it had a knock. Eventually, I sold that because in truth I want a DOHC motor between the cars fenders and putting all that work into a SOHC would just lead to dissapointment in this instance.

. I have looked at nice, running DOHC mod motrs in the 1500 dollar range several times. That is a 300hp V-8 for 1500 bills. Pretty difficult price to hp/potential ratio to beat there. If I really wnated to do it for cheap a nearby auto dismantler offered to sell me a complete EFI 5.0L out of a late model Explorer for 500 bills....with under 50k miles on it to boot! That deal is just about impossible to beat.

That said, the car handles great even with it's live-axle rear suspension. The brakes are very well done and I was always impressed with how little fade they exhibited. A very good friend of mine has a 91 Supra Turbo and I was surprised to find upon driving it that the ride was somehat worse, but the handling not that much better IMHO. I like his car, but there is definately no huge handling advantage for his Supra.

If people like imports, fine....as cars are all about what you want. But, to act as though they are simpler to work on or cheaper to modify simply shows a lack of knowledge about domestic cars.

And some of us remember that the rice term started as a reference to the "rice rocket" Japanese super-bikes of the mid-late eighties, that eventually turned into the the "insult" used so often now.

That said, if you want to insult a car that is up to the individual doing the insulting I suppose. I see many Pacific-Rim imports that I think exhibit poor taste, but I see no need to insult the owner. But, to use rice in reference to anything other than a Japanese car makes no sense either. If you are going to slam somebody elses ride, at least be culturally correct in the reference.
Old 1/16/05, 08:40 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally posted by thezeppelin8@January 16, 2005, 10:38 AM
i really like the looks of it, and i wouldnt mod it from the outside

Call me nuts too, but I love 1992-1995 Honda Civic.

Old 1/16/05, 10:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by thezeppelin8@January 16, 2005, 4:38 PM
Ok, youre a weirdo.......
Old 1/16/05, 10:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

UR NUTZ .................THATS PURE RICE.............. sniff sniff china????????????
Old 1/17/05, 11:22 AM

theres nothing wrong with owning or liking japanese cars, so your saying a 60 year old woman who owns say a civic or a celica is rice?
Old 1/17/05, 11:51 AM
Post *****

marcus, first of all, they're japanese not chinese. 'rice' is only used for overly advertiseng weak or non existent power/speed. i dont see bench wings, crappy bodykits, or graphics for parts that are not even included on the car.

personally, i have nothing against imports that are stsock or imporst that don't exagerrate their performance. what i do hate is when people think that a smaller "high tech" motor and FWD is better than a big beefy V8 RWD car. theres no replacement for displacement and RWD will always be faster than FWD. it just works that way. thats how its been and hoa its gonna be. period.

if you dont think RWD is the way for the most speed consider this:

one four legged animals, which are usually bigger and stronger, the front or the rear legs? the rears of course. the rear does the most work and thus is the best way of putting your power to gthe ground.

oh boy, look at me, im ranting again
Old 1/17/05, 12:57 PM

^lol...
Old 1/31/05, 03:43 PM

jason why do you always put that smily there wasnt a picture to begin with!!!
Old 1/31/05, 04:14 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Heh the war is over brother and the imports have found their niche and its not the revolution everybody and their brother thought it was gonna be, check into import performance parts sales. I thought my brother was joking when he said import perf parts sales were off by 30 or so percent. okay that said....

The best way I've heard the demogrpahic described is "Performance you cant understand", thats the tire biz spin on it and pretty much sums up the attitude I think for the domestic car performance crowd.

1) Body Kits.....
And no not everyone does it to make there car look fast.. that comment shows ignorence... its a work of art.. maybe not in your mind but maybe to the imports owner, people just put the 2 togethor becuase the cars in movies like the fast and the furious we fast and had them...

A matter of taste... IMO what most people consider rice to me is way over the top with components that are garish and absolutely do not possess any performance value what so ever despite the bling factor.

Okay scoops and the like in a domestic car are about the same (*they offer no real perf advantage other than supplying cold air if your lucky) but they tend to be more subtle in design.

2) HP/ Torque

Power or Torque to weight ratio is what determines performance. So a small car with a small engine can be fast. However there is nothing like tire blistering torque off the bottom end and the thunder of a V8. There are some nice import engines. heck you ask me the best muscle car canidate from the land of the rising sun and I'd say Nissan's V8 truck motor. 300hp 385 ft/lbs of torque in a nice tight package, put that in a Z-car and I would drool over it. Course I'd have to say a nice used 5.0 fox isnt to expensive, it might not be attractive to you, but ultimately I'm willing to bet dollar for dollar the 5.0 will come out on top in terms of performance and value.

Depends, my 02 GT has gotten 29 mpg on a trip before. Its a relative statement, smaller engines generally have to work harder to maintain or acclerate to a given speed (again depending on weight), as for simple and light, ever wrench on a windsor ford, again going back to the Fox 5.0, these cars are extremley simple to own, operate and work on. The only simpler car in exsistance has to be an air-cooled bug.

4)Whiny rice boys

Okay this is my personal view of whiney rice boi's, some may or may not fit in this catagory and may only be indicative of a few miscreants in my A.O - but in recent memory in the penisula Va area they had a pretty good gathering of cars, so much so it became a weekend family event in the mall parking lot. The only problem was when the rice boi's showed up with thier cars. The hydrualic guys weren't to bad although they did get harrassed when they drove around doing the three wheel motion, never saw anybody hopping their cars - occasionally a hydraulic leak occurred - no biggie. However there were the import perf guys who in their testosterone fueled chip on their shoulder minds had a need to impress the people there, so they would do burnouts, floor it through the parking lot and other types of stupid behavior that could have ended in disaster with more than just a coupla gear heads hurt. Then there was the time a coupla rice boi's got in a fight over a paint job, the end result was one rice boi stabbed another rice boi over the affair. So there, that is the sterotypical rice boi in my mind. Some punk suburban kid whose mind has been warped by M-TV into believing that life is tough in the hood and that minor insults need to be answered with overwhelming force. That and I still havent figurered out why its cool to flip the rearview mirror into a vertical position??

5) Rice

Rice to me indicates any vehicle which has been garishly overdone with cosmetics and wheels to the point of absurdity in my mind be it domestic or import.

And I have great respect for many imports, however domestic performance cars hold a place in my heart that no import ever will because domestic perfomance cars at their best embody purely american attitudes and ideas toward performance, namely big engines and big tires connected to comparitively unsophisticated chassis that are designed to get the job done without much finesse. Or simply stated they are the equivalent of a broad axe in a world of rapiers. Which to me is a great thing.
Old 2/1/05, 07:34 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by future9er24@January 17, 2005, 12:54 PM
theres no replacement for displacement
Actually I will take technology over displacement anytime.
Old 2/1/05, 12:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Let it go.
Old 2/1/05, 12:20 PM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hey guys, some very good points have been made, but the thread seems to have ground to a halt as far as constructive comments go.........so....