General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes
View Poll Results: Without regard to where it's made, consider price, performance and styling only.
2007 Lotus Elise
40.00%
2007 Chevrolet Corvette
46.67%
2007 Porsche Boxter
13.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Elise, Vette, or Boxter?

Search this Thread

Old 4/25/07, 09:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lennyb44
+1 and excellent points.
But, why isn't the 911 isn't in the poll instead of the Boxter?
The 911 is not in the poll because all three of these 2-seaters costs about the same. I was trying to keep it a fair fight. The poll stems from a discussion I had with a friend about boxter vs vette. I decided to include the Elise because it just seemed to fit. Alot of excellent points have been made in favor of each. The voting has been closer than I thought it would be.
Old 4/25/07, 10:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man, that's tuff....

I went corvette. Just because IMO it looks the best, and it'd be the most fun to drive. a black vette....yummy

Lotus...I really considered just because of the exotic factor.

Porsche...isn't that rare. In Orange County, where I go to school, there are tons. Probably up there with Benz and BMW in terms of how common they are. And it doesn't look that great...weight and power is whatever. Only reason I'd get one is for the luxury name factor.
Old 4/26/07, 01:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm going Lotus. The Vette just has never been my cup of tea. It's hated by Mustang guys (most times, but not all) because it is always the comparison since the Maro is gone and there is really no comparison. And it's hated by exotic car guys because it really isn't in their league either.

The Lotus is the most common exotic car on the market that we still consider exotic. Yet they always get looks. Doesn't matter if it's an Exige, or an Elise, cause not many know the difference anyway!

The Porsche simply is it's own thing. The Miata for the super wealthy. It's got a nice interior, feels nice in its driving style, and it's a Porsche. Unfortunately the "baby" title never really makes any car look good.
Old 4/26/07, 02:27 AM
FR500 Member

Another vote for the Elise. I like the fact that it's close to being a 4-wheeled sportbike that actually looks good. May not be the most comfortable, but neither is an older 'Stang (pre-S197 or even SN95). Also like how it can achieve so much with so little.
Old 4/26/07, 05:49 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Definately Corvette!
Old 4/29/07, 10:26 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I voted vette, I like the Elise and 10 or 15 years ago I would have though it an acceptable daily driver, but now I concur, its a weekend toy at best. Never cared for the Boxter -Although I like the Caymen, for Porsche, its gotta be a 911. The vette for me offers the best combination of features.
Old 4/30/07, 02:47 PM

Tough choices.

I voted Boxster as a midpoint between the Elise's handling and raw character and the Vettes overall performance. The big downside with the Boxster is the price, though the Elise really isn't cheap either given your getting basically a stripper.

The Elise is probably the purist sports car on the market today, but I think might prove wearing in daily usage. That it goes so fast on so few resources makes it the forward looking man's performance car for both today and tomorrow. And as far as not being any fun in a straight line, it's straight line numbers seem very close to a Stang GT but with a level of handling and braking that would humiliate a Stang, not to mention econobox fuel economy as icing on the cake. So perhaps not so strange that even presumably narrow-minded Stang mavens would take a liking to it.

The Vette offer tremendous band for the buck, even if that comes at the expense of some cut corners in terms of interior and material quality. Wheras the Elise makes no bones about being anything else but bare bones in terms of creature comforts, and works because of that design purity, the Vette simply seems like it was trying for a higher target but fell short, even if it is, in reality, far cushier than the Elise.

The Boxster I think offers much of the Elise's mid engined agility and more handy size with the Vettes everyday comfort and usability.
Old 4/30/07, 03:08 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rhumb
And as far as not being any fun in a straight line, it's straight line numbers seem very close to a Stang GT
the reason i said that the straight line performance would not be fun is power delivery. It maybe has the same 1/4 mile time but is really strung out and doesn't give you that power feeling.

Also on the street being able to romp anywhere in the rpm band in the msutang would feel like stepping on nothing in the elise. most of the mustang faithful would not keep it way up in the rpms where it would make adiquet power. Even though it is just as fast it wouldn't "feel" as fast.