Old 2/4/06, 01:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go to this link and click on "Watch this story using MyStream16"

http://www.fox16.com/news/local/story.aspx...98-037E6DA18200
Old 2/4/06, 02:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't get the link to work.....video does not play. Just sits at LOADING.......
Old 2/4/06, 02:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

you need to have the latest version of media player i think...
it should be a free download, just to upgrade...
Old 2/4/06, 02:08 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
no....and neither should you.
Old 2/4/06, 03:24 PM
Bullitt Member

wow that story put an unnecessarily good spin on the street racing. it seemed to be saying "they will race, so little rock you better make them a track to race on" instead of the usual "people die street racing all the time"
Old 2/4/06, 04:46 PM
GT Member

Local 58 old guy here just got jail. He was in a 05 corvette at a light with another vette beside him. The light turned green they took off racing he lost control spun around up onto side walk hit and killed a woman who was out for a walk. So i would keep racing to the track ya think
Old 2/4/06, 05:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
There was another accident with a 300z into a store, a few completely innocent people had limbs sheared off. Every time you think to race, think of your mom or gf as the one that had both her legs torn off and left on the sidewalk and shoved through a storefront. The idiot next to him bumped him off the road. more then 12 people were hit.
Old 2/4/06, 07:56 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't street race in public areas but I do enjoy driving very fast.
Old 2/4/06, 07:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kevinb120 @ February 4, 2006, 5:06 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
There was another accident with a 300z into a store, a few completely innocent people had limbs sheared off. Every time you think to race, think of your mom or gf as the one that had both her legs torn off and left on the sidewalk and shoved through a storefront. The idiot next to him bumped him off the road. more then 12 people were hit.
[/b][/quote]

Latest news on that incident is that the driver in the 300z wasn't racing the other car...he was just driving down the street when the other car...a white Lincoln TownCar clipped the Nissan resulting in the driver losing control and crashing into the building.
The building involved was a medical clinic.
Old 2/4/06, 09:58 PM
Bullitt Member

It's possible to drive fast safely. It's not safe to drive past your limits or your cars limits. Typically street races end badly because of inexperienced drivers or people racing in the wrong areas.

Most hardcore, more than just to the speed limit from a stop, street racing is done in industrial/empty areas. Typically the people in the most danger are the drivers and those watching. I think it would be cool to see the local police provide some kind of area for it. Maybe not a track even, but it wouldn't take much to create a blocked off/dedicated area for it like the different car clubs setup in parking lots on sundays. I'm sure there are liabilities/laws keeping them from it.

That said I don't street race because I like my car and my body the way they are.

Jon
Old 2/4/06, 10:25 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thestoogeo @ February 5, 2006, 12:01 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
... I don't street race because I like my car and my body the way they are.
[/b][/quote]
I've made some comments against street racing, some which I thought were quite good.
Yours is the most logical of all, the best I've read in some time. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/4/06, 10:43 PM
Bullitt Member

No, I don't street race and I suggest that nobody should do it.
Many people think that they know their car's limits and overestimate their own skills as drivers and when that happens, people die.
I have seen too many people hurt real bad or dead and that was enough for me to understand that street racing is not a thing to do.
Guys, DO NOT STREET RACE, quit while you are ahead, don't wait until you'll be under 6 ft of earth...
Old 2/4/06, 10:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I haven't even really been challenged to a street race, and I'm not real sure how I would react to one. But I do enjoy some spirited stoplight and on-ramp driving from time to time. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 2/5/06, 06:32 AM
Cobra Member

My take is some people just can't drive the roads no matter what. I see no problem in a mild street race. You have to know your vehicle completely and must be in an area that's not a risk to others. Plus expect the unexpected to happen. Although there is no guarantee the driver of the other car knows what's happening, unless their your friend and you know they can handle their vehicle.

Most mishaps around here are drivers just not thinking anything close to the unreasonable risk they are producing and they are not very familiar with the vehicle their operating. They should NOT be racing much of anything to began with at any time. No different from a drunk driver.

Vehicles get in accidents every day. Does that mean we should never drive again?
Old 2/5/06, 07:36 AM

I did a long time ago but only short sprints, now way to many cars on the road and to much being built. Times have changed, save it for the track.
Old 2/5/06, 11:40 AM
GT Member

You should race if you enjoy it, but you should also be safe about it. Thinking your in a safe place to race, and actually being in a safe place to race is different.

Bottom line is the safest place to race is at the track. If you are going to race you should always consider the consiquences and possible outcomes of your own actions, no matter where you are (street or track).
Old 2/5/06, 12:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
T-BONE, I was sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic and a couple kids asked me to "light em up"... I was like "are you effing crazy?" I gave em a couple revs, but I wouldn't ever do something like that in traffic.

Apparently he wants to race out at Thompson this summer. I think he said he had a GSX, anyone have any idea what an Eclipse possibly runs?
Old 2/5/06, 01:05 PM
Bullitt Member

I'll do some quick 0-70 runs on service roads with friends but nothing organized. I like to race the clock better anyway.
Old 2/5/06, 02:04 PM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Enfynet @ February 5, 2006, 2:49 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
T-BONE, I was sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic and a couple kids asked me to "light em up"... I was like "are you effing crazy?" I gave em a couple revs, but I wouldn't ever do something like that in traffic.

Apparently he wants to race out at Thompson this summer. I think he said he had a GSX, anyone have any idea what an Eclipse possibly runs?
[/b][/quote]

If it's a stock Eclipse GSX, you'd run rings around him. I doubt he'd try to run a stock on you if he knew our numbers. A stock '99 GSX barely hit 15 on the 1/4.
Old 2/5/06, 02:33 PM
Bullitt Member

street racing has different forms, imo.

there are the organized, industrial park races...which i feel are generally quite safe driving-wise because spectators are usually far out of the way, no other cars *should* get in the way unless someone is being reaaalllly stupid, and everyone there KNOWS that the race is going on to prepare for it. unfortuneately, the people at these events are usually low lifes i would not trust around my car (at least where ive been), and the cops take these ones way too seriously.

then there are stoplight warriors. the stoplight race goes back mmmmannnny years, and because of its more or less slower speeds (usually over by 75mph), it is usually safe to do. however, people in fast cars that cant handle the power sometimes lose it, or angry "losers" do unsafe flybyes that endanger lives...not to mention these are not in isolated areas. i feel these are the most dangerous races in general.

the third is the "cruise" race...essentially a race from a roll while cruisin around. these often go to speeds of 100 or so, but most of the time they will not occur where other cars are because both drivers feel the need to have an open road. these kind of races also include short 20-30mph bursts by cars next to each other to "flex" their muscle. races like these are usually not as intense, and if someone knows they are gonna lose they let off. most races u see on, say, streetfire.net are these type. i feel these races are the safest actual races because traction issues almost never come into play like from a dig, but because they are performed on public roads where other people are potentially around, the risk is more than organized industrial park races.

tracks are by far the safest, and imo, the most fun because you actually get a chance to improve your driving skills via timeslips. road courses are also quite a bit of fun, assuming you know your car...because these types of races are probly the most dangerous of any kind of race to the driver of the vehicle due to all the constant adjustments needed to keep the car on the road

Quick Reply: Do you Street Race Your 05 or 06?