General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Diesel Chevrolet Cruze confirmed for U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 2/21/11, 03:26 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel Chevrolet Cruze confirmed for U.S.

According to the crew at GMInsideNews, General Motors is mulling the notion of introducing a diesel Chevrolet Cruze to the American market. Sources within the Lordstown, Ohio assembly plant responsible for piecing the compact sedan together have confirmed that a diesel Cruze will be built for 2013. If that's not enough to wipe the stink of skepticism off your person, GMI says that additional sources within The General's engineering team have confirmed that an oil-burning Cruze is on the company's schedule.

Production is rumored to kick off on the project at some point next year.

There's even rumor that GM is currently testing diesel Cruze models around the greater Detroit area right now. While no power or fuel economy numbers are available at the moment, GM is expected to make use of a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine for the new model. That would be the same lump found in the Holden Cruze CDX, which turns out 147 horsepower and 235 pound-feet of torque with up to 34 miles per gallon combined.
So ... will Ford follow with Focus diesel?
Old 2/21/11, 03:51 PM
Cobra Member

I think they will. Diesels are a great way to increase fuel economy at a minimal price. Case and point, Europe which has been using them for years.

I love the VW golf and jetta turbo diesels. Good power for a commuter car (or even if you're in need of a small car for yourself) and great MPG.

Bring them here!
Old 2/21/11, 03:59 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I don't think diesels are anything special, especially those with 2.0+ engines..
In the case of Cruze diesel, we're talking about 34 mpg. Cruze Eco is capable of that too and it costs less and uses cheaper fuel. Why would anyone buy diesel compared to Eco?

When I was in Serbia for Christmas I drove my aunt's 1985 Volkswagen Golf with a 1.6L diesel. It ran pretty well for a 400,000 km car, but overall fuel economy wasn't that great. Mid 20s I think.
Old 2/21/11, 04:21 PM
Cobra Member

They would have to increase fuel economy from that figure if they wanted to be competitive. The 2011 jetta TDI is rated at 30/42 and so is the new passat and golf. I've heard of plenty of people getting in the high 30's combined and even into the 40's. As usual it all depends on how you drive.

I know its not for everyone. But if you don't want a hybrid to get great fuel economy and don't want a really small gas engine with a small amount of power, diesels seem to be the way to go. Great torque for the city
Old 2/21/11, 04:53 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by Red Star
I don't think diesels are anything special, especially those with 2.0+ engines..
In the case of Cruze diesel, we're talking about 34 mpg. Cruze Eco is capable of that too and it costs less and uses cheaper fuel. Why would anyone buy diesel compared to Eco?

When I was in Serbia for Christmas I drove my aunt's 1985 Volkswagen Golf with a 1.6L diesel. It ran pretty well for a 400,000 km car, but overall fuel economy wasn't that great. Mid 20s I think.
I'd have to see real-world data showing that the diesel Cruze got only 34 mpg. Hell, I'm getting much better than that in my twin-turbocharged BMW 335d. Diesels, with their immediate torque, are also MUCH more fun to drive than a gasser powerplant of similar size, IMO. From a stop, nothing I've driven takes off like my BMW does, not even my tuned 2011 5.0.

Oh, several years ago, while driving my mother's 2003 Volkswagen Jetta TDI, I got over 50 mpg on a trip to Buffalo, NY. Let's see a Cruze Eco do that!
Old 2/21/11, 05:13 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by MARZ
I'd have to see real-world data showing that the diesel Cruze got only 34 mpg. Hell, I'm getting much better than that in my twin-turbocharged BMW 335d. Diesels, with their immediate torque, are also MUCH more fun to drive than a gasser powerplant of similar size, IMO. From a stop, nothing I've driven takes off like my BMW does, not even my tuned 2011 5.0.

Oh, several years ago, while driving my mother's 2003 Volkswagen Jetta TDI, I got over 50 mpg on a trip to Buffalo, NY. Let's see a Cruze Eco do that!
Just the point I was trying to convey.

They would make a serious mistake not having the cruze diesel rated in the mid 40's for highway and low to mid 30's for city.
Old 2/21/11, 06:23 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have to be convinced the new 'clean' diesel doesn't stink in traffic. I drive through a town with a lot of diesel pickups - many new ones. I immediately have to turn my fresh air vent off. I can't imagine being stuck in hot summer big city traffic smelling several diesels all around me.
Old 2/21/11, 06:35 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

2010 BMW 335d. No smell whatsoever. No smoke whatsoever. The tailpipes are cleaner than my Mustang's. I'm not sure what you're smelling unless the diesel vehicles you're following are all in active regen mode while you're behind them. If that's what you're smelling then, yeah, I agree, it stinks, sort of like burnt angel food cake. But, hey, we've got to do something about all this unmitigated global warming!

Last edited by MARZ; 2/21/11 at 06:39 PM.
Old 2/21/11, 07:32 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
But, hey, we've got to do something about all this unmitigated global warming!
Well, on that (side) note, Oregon is spending god knows how much taxpayer money for EV charging stations.

ECOtality's 240-volt charging stations can charge a Nissan Leaf battery in seven hours, which would cost about $2.64 -- less than the price for one gallon of gas.
http://www.oregonlive.com/beaverton/...in_oregon.html
EPA says a full charge = 73 miles with the Leaf.

7 hours, $2.64, for 73 miles... and you're done for the day.

Old 2/21/11, 08:10 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

2010 BMW 335d. No smell whatsoever. No smoke whatsoever. The tailpipes are cleaner than my Mustang's. I'm not sure what you're smelling unless the diesel vehicles you're following are all in active regen mode while you're behind them. If that's what you're smelling then, yeah, I agree, it stinks, sort of like burnt angel food cake. But, hey, we've got to do something about all this unmitigated global warming!
Nothing like this?

This was pretty common in the eastern Europe with old diesels back in the 1990s when I still lived there.

Last edited by Zastava_101; 2/21/11 at 08:13 PM.
Old 2/21/11, 08:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Question. Might it be called the DeCruise? Or maybe the Cruiesel? 'Cause that would be fun.
Old 2/22/11, 04:44 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by Red Star
Nothing like this?

This was pretty common in the eastern Europe with old diesels back in the 1990s when I still lived there.
Hahahaha, no, not quite like that.